Nora Roberts Groupies discussion

Shelter in Place
This topic is about Shelter in Place
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Book Discussions > Shelter in Place - May 29, 2018

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jonetta (last edited Jan 21, 2018 04:11AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 5743 comments Mod
Sometimes, there is nowhere safe to hide.

It was a typical evening at a mall outside Portland, Maine. Three teenage friends waited for the movie to start. A boy flirted with the girl selling sunglasses. Mothers and children shopped together, and the manager at the video-game store tending to customers. Then the shooters arrived.

The chaos and carnage lasted only eight minutes before the killers were taken down. But for those who lived through it, the effects would last forever. In the years that followed, one would dedicate himself to a law enforcement career. Another would close herself off, trying to bury the memory of huddling in a ladies' room, hopelessly clutching her cell phone--until she finally found a way to pour her emotions into her art.

But one person wasn't satisfied with the shockingly high death toll at the DownEast Mall. And as the survivors slowly heal, find shelter, and rebuild, they will discover that another conspirator is lying in wait--and this time, there might be nowhere safe to hide.
Shelter in Place by Nora Roberts

Anita (anitanodiva) | 1228 comments Going on my to be read shelf right now.

Unfortunately, we can’t use that site as an authoritative source. The description isn’t even showing on the publisher’s website.

Here’s the link to an excerpt:

https://gallery.mailchimp.com/915f698...

message 6: by Jonetta (last edited Jan 20, 2018 08:33PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

I’ve also added the description.

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 219 comments Huh, not sure how I feel about the mass shooting set up.

Both this and Come Sundown are premised on massive, traumatic events that capture the news attention. This is a shift from her previous books where the pivotal suspense event/set up was more personal.

Just an observation with her new publisher. Though I guess a couple of her previous books did tie in to serial killers....

I’m not sure how much influence her new publisher has on this one or the last since Nora’s writing timeline is almost a year in advance of her release dates.

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 219 comments Regardless of the impetus, still not sure how I feel about the mass shooting set up...guess I’ll find out in May!

message 10: by Erin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Erin (tesserin) | 173 comments Ugh. Why did I read the teaser?? It just made me antsy for the next book—in a series where I haven’t read the 1st book yet lol. I was fortunate to receive an ARC of Year One but my reading slowed down over the holidays putting off my plan to read it after I finished another book. Part of me wants to hold off reading Year One bc I know it’ll probably leave me wanting more. And when it comes to books in a series I find myself completely devoid of patience—like a kid around Christmas!! Haha

This is a standalone.

Anita (anitanodiva) | 1228 comments Sounds like Nora is just trying to stay relevant. The captive in "Come Sundown" and the mass shooting in "Shelter in Place" just scream "ripped from the headlines". She also joined to current romance trend with "Year One". What ever it takes to keep jaded readers reading her work.

Barbara "Cookie" Serfaty Williams (goodreadscomcookiew1801) | 571 comments How true nut you must remember it we do not want things like that Nora would not write it. Our need for Romance and thrills is what she writes for us.

Anita (anitanodiva) | 1228 comments I am very simple in my requirements for a good romantic-suspense. 1) make it believable, 2) make me care what happens to the H/h and 3) give me an HEA.

message 15: by Squinn12 (new)

Squinn12 | 1 comments I can't wait to read it, I loved Year One & Come Sundown, out of her norm but thought they were both fantastic!

Lynnette Hartwig (69mustanglady) | 13 comments Oh my god. My mail just came and in it was a ARC of Shelter in Place. I’ve been extremely excited about this book and I’m starting it right now.

message 17: by Erin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Erin (tesserin) | 173 comments My ARC of Shelter in Place came yesterday!! I’m very excited to dive into this book!!

Jennifer, Just beyond normal ♑ (jenniferjustbeyondnormal) Got mine in the mail Thursday! Very excited!

Tanisha Inman (justeace) | 3 comments Got mine on Friday.

Anita (anitanodiva) | 1228 comments Easter Bunny brought mine today.

Lynnette Hartwig (69mustanglady) | 13 comments Oh wow. I just finished it and it was spectacular.

message 22: by Susan (new) - added it

Susan So sad I didn't get one 😥I can't wait to read this one.

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 219 comments I just finished this one and you can check out my review if you like!

The one thing I will say is that I think we are seeing Nora grow and change in her writing style. This and Come Sundown both focused on big, headline grabbing crimes and, at least IMO, downplayed the romance aspect a bit. Yes, they both still have HEAs, but there was a lot more detail about the crimes and the lives of the leading man and woman when they were not together.

And I can totally get behind that as long as she keeps acing the great characters and fabulous connections between them—which she absolutely did here, even as she downshifts on the romance and moves more of it off page.

message 24: by Mara (new)

Mara Pemberton (marapem) | 61 comments Just got my copy on Friday.

Mcfly (mcflysbliss) | 1 comments I just got my arc, im so excited

Anita (anitanodiva) | 1228 comments I'm disappointed to hear that NR is downplaying the romance in Shelter in Place. NR's romance scenes are pretty low key to begin with.

message 27: by Linda (last edited Apr 08, 2018 11:22PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Linda | 81 comments I think authors change as their client base changes - If you look historically. We had the short books and you had the penny dreadful type, you had the romance type with Mills & Boon, Silhouette and Harlequin, the western type, the spy-mystery type, the scifi-fantasy and the who done it.
Over time these genres got a more and more until they came into the full novel range and the publishers still to this day require most of their authors to fit into the 'formula' of their genre.
Over time the reader's taste change with the change in society and authors have to change to keep up with society. I think Nora started moving away from straight romance a long time ago and I can see why she has changed publishers when these last couple of books came out.
I wonder how much her old publisher held her back from creating the books that she wanted to write.

She certainly seems to be exploring under St. Martin’s Press. Change is inevitable and most times a good thing. I really liked Come Sundown, especially since I’m drawn more to the mystery and suspense. As long as she gets the romance right, I’m okay with a change in balance.

Michelle | 98 comments Received an ARC of this book last week and read it Sunday and Monday, couldn't wait any longer. I know people will be leery because of the mass shooting aspect but it worked with the story line. I absolutely loved the story and the emotions it conveyed.

Glad you enjoyed, Michelle!

Anita (anitanodiva) | 1228 comments I won't believe for a second that Nora's readers don't want a good, spicy, hot romance with their suspense. I happen to be a fan who likes both.

Margaret Standafer | 156 comments Happy for all of you who received an ARC...let's say 80% happy, 20% green with envy :)
I can't wait to read it!

message 33: by Linda (last edited Apr 16, 2018 05:36PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Linda | 81 comments Social comment here. Mass shooting & mass murder, both are part of our lives now and novels are a reflection of our lives, even in countries that historically free of this type of situation we see it on the news regularly.
When these things are reported I know I am always so bewildered as to why anyone could be so warped that they could see this sort of action as any type of solution to whatever it is that they are feeling. I can understand an authors need to write about them.
Or I suspect, knowing Nora's style of writing, her use of that type of scenario as a background to the story.

Anita (anitanodiva) | 1228 comments So sad, but so true. It used to be that authors made these things up from there own fertile imaginations, now all your have to do is watch the news.

message 35: by Anita (last edited May 22, 2018 02:04PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anita (anitanodiva) | 1228 comments I started "Shelter in Place" this morning and all I can say is WOW!
Is anyone else reading it now? I love getting to know the main characters as individuals before they meet and become a couple. I'm just starting chapter 5 and no one can complain that there is no character development in this book.

The book discussion will begin in June.

Lynne Davis I'm about halfway through - superb character development. Loving it so far

Lynne Davis At first I thought: not another mass shooting - it's so depressing. But this is more about the rest of the story, after. Quite the interesting story too -

Anita (anitanodiva) | 1228 comments Lynne wrote: "I'm about halfway through - superb character development. Loving it so far"

I just wish the romance was a superb as the character development. This book is really, really good. With more effort on the romance this book would have been off the charts.

Barbara "Cookie" Serfaty Williams (goodreadscomcookiew1801) | 571 comments Just got "Shelter in Place" will start when I finished book 4 of Love Takes Root

The book of the month discussion thread is now open here:

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Closing this topic.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.