What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. nonfiction, probably award-winning book about raising child(ren) in desert, NOT The Glass Castle

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by John (new)

John Driscoll | 17 comments I'm a librarian, trying to track down a book for a library patron. This is what they were able to tell me about it:

It's a nonfiction book about a couple that raised their child or children in the desert. The patron believes that the book won an award, but is not sure which award. They believe it's not The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls, because that's written by the child, and they believe the book was written by the parent, possibly with the aid of a professional author.

I know this is a long shot, but if anyone has an idea, it's most appreciated!

message 2: by John (new)

John Driscoll | 17 comments Thanks! A coworker suggested Raising Wild: Dispatches from a Home in the Wilderness by Michael P. Branch, so I am sending that on to the patron as a possibility (and also The Glass Castle, in case seeing it jogs their memory a bit).

message 3: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
John, I've moved your thread down to Unsolved: One specific book since that's where it belongs.

Remember--let us know if either of those is the correct book. Enquiring minds (and dusty, empty bookshelves) want to know.

message 4: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38154 comments Mod
John, please add some plot details to your header which could get your query solved faster. If you are unable, a mod can help.

message 5: by John (new)

John Driscoll | 17 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "John, please add some plot details to your header which could get your query solved faster. If you are unable, a mod can help."

I have already included every detail I have. The book is not for me, but for a library patron (who has not yet gotten back to me).

message 6: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

We just need you to add those details to your header, which is the title of the thread. A lot of members only read headers before deciding which threads to click on that they might be able to solve. So we need as much information as possible to be sitting in your header.

message 7: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 87 comments I'd think this would be memorable enough for the patron to have mentioned it already, but could it have been during the US's Japanese internment? If so, maybe Desert Exile.

message 8: by John (new)

John Driscoll | 17 comments I can't be sure, since the patron hasn't contacted me back yet from the initial possibilities I sent them. But it sounds like a possibility, if it was during that time period.

message 9: by John (new)

John Driscoll | 17 comments Thanks! I haven't seen the patron recently, but if I do then I'll ask if this is the book they were thinking of. Unfortunately in this case, since I was asking on behalf of someone else, I don't have a way to confirm whether or not this is the book unless I can get in touch with that person again.

message 10: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

John, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

message 11: by John (new)

John Driscoll | 17 comments I did not find it, but since the library patron never got back to me I'm not actively looking for it anymore either.

message 12: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

If you're still interested in finding it, we can leave the thread in Unsolved. And if you have no interest in finding it, we can move it to Abandoned. Just let us know.

message 13: by John (new)

John Driscoll | 17 comments I'm okay with moving it to abandoned. Thanks.

message 14: by Kris (new)

Kris | 34340 comments Mod
Okay, as requested, moving this thread to the "Query abandoned by poster" folder. If you change your mind, just post a comment.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Desert Exile (other topics)