Beta Reader Group discussion

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brenda (last edited Oct 18, 2017 07:18AM) (new)

Brenda (genuinewordz) | 9 comments In about a week I will have extra time to do more reading. I will have finished the manuscript I'm currently reading and have nothing else lined up.
I'm a 50 year old married mom, Canadian reader. I notice details and it bugs me when I see discrepancies and typos/wrong words in published stories/books. I love to read and would love to beta read for you.

I enjoy the following genres:
- contemporary romance
- romantic suspense
- paranormal romance (light on paranormal, no vampires/zombies/werewolves, more focused on senses and abilities)
- mysteries - including thrillers, suspense, cozies, medical, police/courtroom/PI, forensic
- erotica
- horror

I'm not interested in reading YA/coming of age, historical romance, christian or science fiction/fantasy.

Feel free to contact me via this thread or the site's email or email me directly at
tftc-brendah @ live.ca

I'm looking forward to hearing from you!

(Note... I have a previous post but decided to start a new thread just to keep things less complicated.)

message 2: by Chris (new)

Chris | 12 comments Brenda wrote: "In about a week I will have extra time to do more reading. I will have finished the manuscript I'm currently reading and have nothing else lined up.
I'm a 50 year old married mom, Canadian reader...."

Hi,

I have just finished my second novel, and having not been able to get the first one published, I would very much appreciate some feedback on my second.

The book opens with James receiving a phone call from his father, Edgar, in which his father tells him that he has been diagnosed with cancer and been given only a short time to live. It is immediately apparent that the relationship between the father and the son is very difficult and has been for many years. Over the next few months we discover the reasons that their relationship had broken down through a series of flashbacks and reminiscences during which the son reveals his foray into 1970s London culminating in the murder of his boss during an attempted rape and Edgar’s own tragic past as he recalls the betrayal he suffered at the hands of his wife and his best friend. We learn that this led to his father’s extra-marital affair in the 1960s and we follow the chain of events which lead to James’ shocking discovery that, not only he is not his fathers’ biological son, but that his father’s affair resulted in the birth of an illegitimate psychopathic son of whom James has no knowledge.

The main theme of the book is the way in which James and Edgar attempt to come to terms with the destructive nature of their past relationship and to find some peace together in the last few months of Edgar’s life. It is about 70,000 words.

Is this something that may interest you?

message 3: by Simon (new)

Simon A. | 3 comments Hi! I have a science fiction short (only 4k words) that leads up to my upcoming novel. I currently have no reviews on good reads and i'd love to get some feedback :)

https://www.instafreebie.com/free/QDcj3

message 4: by Tausha (new)

Tausha | 1 comments Hi Brenda! I'm looking for an honest beta reader for my literary horror manucript and am hoping you might be interested. The novel is about 100K and has paranormal elements. If you'd prefer to read in chapters, to see if you'd like to continue reading, that would be fine as well. Here's a blurb:

In 1969, American Claire White agrees to invite her husband’s difficult sister Carmen, whose husband has just died, and her undisciplined six-year-old son to live with them in their isolated country manor in southern Spain. Soon after the house guests arrive, Carmen confesses there is something wrong with the boy, and, more disturbingly, that an evil entity is trying to possess her. Claire’s once quiet life quickly takes a horrifying turn as she finds herself haunted by a series of alarming events—and, the most terrifying of all, that the boy not only has visions of a ghostly old woman, but that the devil is among them. Unnerved, Claire battles with Carmen for control of the household and those in it. When an exorcism fails to bring back order to the house, dark family secrets unfold—things that threaten their very sanity.

Thank you so much for your time and consideration. I look forward to hearing from you!

message 5: by Gray (new)

Gray Holborn | 17 comments Hi Brenda! I have a 97k NA urban fantasy romance if you're interested. Here's the blurb:

Odessa Black: college student, grilled cheese aficionado, best friends with an overgrown jungle-cat, and officially screwed.

In Odessa’s world, the Others--or supes as her best friend El prefers to call them--are divided into two categories: energy feeders and energy manipulators. They exist amongst humans, but mostly stick to their realm in the Veil. While she has no power herself, beyond the unexplainable and seemingly useless ability to identify others who do, Odessa lives happily and chaotically with a panther-shifter and persuasion-manipulator who are perfectly fine with existing on the fringe of their world. More than happy with her outsider glimpse into the life of the Veil, Odessa wants nothing more than to hangout with her friends, finish her degree, and figure out what exactly she wants to do with the rest of her life.

But her plans are disrupted by the arrival of two new supes in town who seem hellbent on turning everything in her life upside down. Between Jax, the irresistible seduction-feeder who has no interest in leaving her alone and Soren, the surly supe who wants nothing more than to push her away, Odessa’s ties to everything she thought she knew are challenged.

As Odessa gets dragged further into the world of supes than she ever wanted to go, she discovers that the people she surrounded herself with aren’t exactly who she thought they were.

message 6: by Michael (new)

Michael Adams Hi Brenda,

Hate to spam you with another request, but I have a supernatural thriller that comes in at 105k. If you have any interest now or in the future, please feel free to shout out.

Thanks for your consideration.

A copy editor by day, Samantha Englund moonlights as an Indie author who live-streams while she writes. Following an extremely vivid dream she begins to write a story about a serial killer guided by a demonic presence. Unbeknownst to Samantha, while she writes in her Chicago apartment the subject of her dreams is in Los Angeles, committing the very murders she writes about.

Samantha’s life is turned upside down when she’s detained for questioning. The crime scene photos reveal her antagonist is real. The mystery deepens when Christopher, a retired police officer, ends up on her doorstep holding a sketchbook that matches her story. As they race to get ahead of the killer she receives a DMCA notice from a writer in New York. She and Christopher are not the only ones receiving the visions.

When the killer becomes aware of Samantha’s writing blog he begins to hunt her, leaving death in his wake as he travels to Chicago to get to her. Samantha tries desperately to unravel the identity of both the killer and his otherworldly patron before she ends up another chapter in his biography.

message 7: by Brenda (new)

Brenda (genuinewordz) | 9 comments Michael wrote: "Hi Brenda,

Hate to spam you with another request, but I have a supernatural thriller that comes in at 105k. If you have any interest now or in the future, please feel free to shout out.

Thanks fo..."

Hi Michael,
Your manuscript sounds like something that I would love to read for you. I'm committed to reading for others well into November though. Do you have a timeline that you have to stick to or is your deadline flexible?
Please email me either through goodreads or directly to tftc-brendah@ live.ca