Obsessed with True Crime discussion

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Robert (new)

Robert Kratky (bolorkay) | 14 comments As I'm currently enjoying the new Netflix series, "Mindhunter" I was wondering if anyone has any opinions/reactions to John Douglas' book of the same name?

message 2: by Lady ♥ Belleza, Gif Princesa (new)

Lady ♥ Belleza (bella_foxx) | 3345 comments Mod
Moving this to the Movie/TV folder.

message 3: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 11824 comments I really enjoyed Mindhunter: Inside the FBI's Elite Serial Crime Unit and enjoyed the follow-up, Journey Into Darkness, even more.

message 4: by Erin (new)

Erin  | 374 comments I haven't read it but I am looking forward to watching the show. Is it any good?

message 5: by K.A. (new)

K.A. Krisko (kakrisko) | 1262 comments I really liked the book, and own it in paperback, but I've heard the show is not very good. I started to watch it the other night but then stopped. Anyone seen it? Any opinions?

message 6: by Robert (new)

Robert Kratky (bolorkay) | 14 comments Having not read the books, I find the series, thus far rather engaging. I enjoy the fact that there are no "stars" to distract the viewer from the plot lines (I'm five episodes in). The overall concept of the approach to the subject matter is very much in the Thomas Harris/Clarice Starling mode (I believe I read somewhere that the "Jack Crawford" character from Harris' books was modeled somewhat on one of the characters from "Mindhunter", if I have my chronology correct?)

message 7: by K.A. (new)

K.A. Krisko (kakrisko) | 1262 comments I may try the series, then. I didn't watch more than a couple minutes, not due to not liking it, but due to a distraction.

message 8: by Rita (new)

Rita (crimesleuthjunkie) | 1078 comments K.A. wrote: "I may try the series, then. I didn't watch more than a couple minutes, not due to not liking it, but due to a distraction."

K.A., I am the same. For me it might be three minutes but that's it. Because I am sitting at a desk while I watch, it makes my neck and shoulders ache like 'hell'. If I could get it on my tv then maybe it would be easier.

message 9: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 11824 comments Robert wrote: "Having not read the books, I find the series, thus far rather engaging. I enjoy the fact that there are no "stars" to distract the viewer from the plot lines (I'm five episodes in). The overall con..."

At least 3 FBI profilers that I'm aware of -- among them John Douglas and Robert Ressler -- claim to be the model for Jack Crawford. :)

message 10: by K.A. (new)

K.A. Krisko (kakrisko) | 1262 comments Rita wrote: "K.A. wrote: "I may try the series, then. I didn't watch more than a couple minutes, not due to not liking it, but due to a distraction."

K.A., I am the same. For me it might be three minutes but t..."

TV for me is mainly a background thing. I rarely actually 'watch' it, as in sit there and look at the screen. I listen to it while I'm doing other things, almost like radio, and glance up once in a while. So it's kind of a waste to play anything that really takes attention - usually I have cooking, arts & crafts, and garden or DIY shows on. I think that's a result of not growing up with TV - I never developed a habit of actually watching it.

message 11: by K.A. (new)

K.A. Krisko (kakrisko) | 1262 comments Okay, so I have Mindhunter on. I went through the first episode and didn't care for it a lot, but I decided to stick with it because it wasn't that bad. So now we're in the second episode and I looked up and was like, "Ed Kemper." They're doing a jailhouse interview, and the guy playing Ed is doing a very good job of it. Fairly impressive. Looks, size, voice, mannerisms - the poor guy must have spent some time studying Ed.

message 12: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 11824 comments K.A. wrote: "Okay, so I have Mindhunter on. I went through the first episode and didn't care for it a lot, but I decided to stick with it because it wasn't that bad. So now we're in the second episode and I loo..."

Chances are that if you stood the actor next to the real Kemper, the actor wouldn't even come up to Ed's belt buckle, though.

message 13: by K.A. (new)

K.A. Krisko (kakrisko) | 1262 comments Cameron Britton, who plays the role, is 6'5". Ed was supposedly 6'9", so although Britton is shorter, the difference wouldn't be belt-buckle levels.

message 14: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 11824 comments Huh, all he would need are elevator shoes. Or really short guys to play his arresting officers.

message 15: by K.A. (new)

K.A. Krisko (kakrisko) | 1262 comments You might want to try watching that second episode to see what you think about it (although, of course, the actual interviews are on YouTube, so you can see the real thing). Right now they're on Richard Speck, but I don't find him as convincing.

message 16: by Erin (new)

Erin  | 374 comments I just binge watched watched the entire season. I really liked, and I'm now completely obsessed with Ed Kemper. I'll probably watch the actual interviews today.(schedule allowing)

I also like how most of the episodes open with BTK, I remember watching his sentencing and being weirdly entranced with how he matter factly described his crimes.

message 17: by Rita (new)

Rita (crimesleuthjunkie) | 1078 comments Erin wrote: "I just binge watched watched the entire season. I really liked, and I'm now completely obsessed with Ed Kemper. I'll probably watch the actual interviews today.(schedule allowing)

I also like how ..."

I still think of BTK! Talk about cold!!!!! Another one is John List.

message 18: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 11824 comments Erin wrote: "I just binge watched watched the entire season. I really liked, and I'm now completely obsessed with Ed Kemper. I'll probably watch the actual interviews today.(schedule allowing)

I also like how ..."

I searched for years for Margaret Cheney's book about him, THE COED KILLER, with no success except for a single copy of the book on addALL.com that cost 400 freaking dollars -- signed by the killer himself. I passed on that. Years later, I thought to search for all books by her because I was becoming aware of how often they re-release TC under new titles. Within a week I had my own copy of Why: The Serial Killer In America...

message 19: by Erin (new)

Erin  | 374 comments Yeah, why isn't he a more well known serial killer. I find Ed Kemper way more fascinating than for example Son of Sam.

message 20: by Fishface (last edited Oct 26, 2017 11:00AM) (new)

Fishface | 11824 comments Erin wrote: "Yeah, why isn't he a more well known serial killer. I find Ed Kemper way more fascinating than for example Son of Sam."

He was probably pushed off the pedestal by Ted Bundy, who's way cuter and who killed dozens more than Ed did. At least that's my theory.

message 21: by Lady ♥ Belleza, Gif Princesa (new)

Lady ♥ Belleza (bella_foxx) | 3345 comments Mod
Fishface wrote: "I searched for years for Margaret Cheney's book about him, The Co-ed Killer, with no success except for a single copy of the book on addALL.com that cost 400 freaking dollars -- signed by the killer himself. I passed on that. Years later, I thought to search for all books by her because I was becoming aware of how often they re-release TC under new titles. Within a week I had my own copy of Why: The Serial Killer In America"

I was trying to order this from my nephew's Amazon prime and the little idiot had changed his password. So I went to my account and found it available for Kindle. SCORE! Then I got his password and went to order something else on his account and forgot to take the book out. So now I will have two copies.

message 22: by Rita (new)

Rita (crimesleuthjunkie) | 1078 comments Lady♥Belleza★✰ wrote: "Fishface wrote: "I searched for years for Margaret Cheney's book about him, The Co-ed Killer, with no success except for a single copy of the book on addALL.com that cost 400 freaking..."

I found The Co-ed Killer on amazon.ca but when I checked the price was $269. It has 222 pages. On my wish list.

message 23: by Fishface (last edited Nov 01, 2017 08:36AM) (new)

Fishface | 11824 comments Rita wrote: "Lady♥Belleza★✰ wrote: "Fishface wrote: "I searched for years for Margaret Cheney's book about him, The Co-ed Killer, with no success except for a single copy of the book on addALL.com..."

Rita, the whole point of my post was that you can get the same book under another title -- Why: The Serial Killer In America -- for under 10 bucks! In fact I just looked on Amazon and there's a used copy for $1.99!