Beta Reader Group discussion

Betas Offering FREE Services > Sorry fully booked now

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Walter's Writing  Emporium | 14 comments Happy to read any fiction, although I should say that Science Fiction is not really my cup of tea so I am not sure I would be able to provide valuable feedback on this genre.

I am currently a volunteer reader for a small romance publisher but I am looking to become a professional Beta reader so would like to get a testimonial in return for the free feedback...pretty please.

Please contact me at augustmvhead@hotmail.co.uk or dm me here. Let me know more about your manuscript (genre, length), and I can give you a time frame so we can decide whether you think I am the right person for you.

My credentials: I have been writing since I was 11 years old (I still have that manuscript somewhere), so I know all those hideous insecurities and anxieties you have about your work. I'm now old, well, on the outside. Actually no, 40 isn't that old is it? I have studied Creative Writing at Degree and Masters level ( I have two of those bad boys). I have also facilitated and taught creative writing classes at colleges and schools, so I like to think that I have got the honest but kind approach to feedback perfected.

Hope I can help you :-)

message 2: by Chris (new)

Chris | 12 comments August wrote: "Happy to read any fiction, although I should say that Science Fiction is not really my cup of tea so I am not sure I would be able to provide valuable feedback on this genre.

I am currently a volu..."

Hi
I am looking for someone to give me some feedback on my manuscript which is about 70, 000 words.

The book opens with James receiving a phone call from his father, Edgar, in which his father tells him that he has been diagnosed with cancer and been given only a short time to live. It is immediately apparent that the relationship between the father and the son is very difficult and has been for many years. Over the next few months we discover the reasons that their relationship had broken down through a series of flashbacks and reminiscences during which the son reveals his foray into 1970s London culminating in the murder of his boss during an attempted rape and Edgar’s own tragic past as he recalls the betrayal he suffered at the hands of his wife and his best friend. We learn that this led to his father’s extra-marital affair in the 1960s and we follow the chain of events which lead to James’ shocking discovery that, not only he is not his fathers’ biological son, but that his father’s affair resulted in the birth of an illegitimate psychopathic son of whom James has no knowledge.

The main theme of the book is the way in which James and Edgar attempt to come to terms with the destructive nature of their past relationship and to find some peace together in the last few months of Edgar’s life.

Hope to hear from you

Walter's Writing  Emporium | 14 comments Sounds interesting. Yes, I would be happy to act as beta reading for your manuscript. I am going to be reading items in the order of requests so you would be fifth on my list. At the moment it looks like I would be able to provide feedback by second week of November. I would let you know once I start reading your manuscript. If you would like to email it me that would be great. Word or PDF documents are best for me. If there are any specific questions or areas you would like me to look at please do let me know. I look forward to receiving your manuscript.

message 4: by Quincey (new)

Quincey Burkhalter (QuinceyB) | 3 comments August wrote: "Happy to read any fiction, although I should say that Science Fiction is not really my cup of tea so I am not sure I would be able to provide valuable feedback on this genre.

I am currently a volu..."

My name is Quincey and I have written a novel set in the late sixties on a Navajo Indian Reservation. I have finished the first draft and have polished the first 15 chapters as shiny as I can get them. The problem I have is that sometimes I tend to overwrite. I need to know, from someone with experience what needs to either be cut revised or rewritten.
The novel is about a young man that takes a teaching and coaching position in an effort to run away from his problems. It also involves a lot of Indian mythology as the Navajo gods are secretly playing with all their lives.
Let me know if you are interested.

Walter's Writing  Emporium | 14 comments Hi Quincey. That sounds interesting. I would be happy to help you. So far I have a list of 8 people to beta read for, which means I might not get to yours until December (hopefully sooner but I would rather be cautious than promise something I cannot deliver). If you would still like me to help please send me your manuscript in either Word or a PDF document. Please feel free to include any questions or areas of concern you would like me to specifically pay attention to.
My email is augustmvhead@hotmail.co.uk

message 6: by Chris (new)

Chris | 12 comments Hi all,

August agreed to beta-read the first draft of my novel a few weeks ago and did a fantastic job. She provided a detailed and well thought out response, highlighting the strengths and weaknesses of the book. She was encouraging and supportive but did not shy away from accurately identifying areas that didn't work and provided excellent suggestions for the re-write. Once I had finished the first draft I felt a little at a loss - I knew it wasn;t finished and that it needed a lot of work but had no idea where to start. Thanks to August I now feel reinvigorated and have a very clear sense of what I need to do to polish up the first draft.

Many, many thanks August!

Walter's Writing  Emporium | 14 comments Excellent, thanks for your comments. I am blushing a little here now
I am so glad that you have found my comments useful and feel inspired to continue on.