Reading the Chunksters discussion

Sea of Poppies > General Background/Banter

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dianne (new)

Dianne | 9 comments From wiki: Sea of Poppies (2008) is a novel by Indian novelist Amitav Ghosh which was shortlisted for the Man Booker Prize in 2008. It is the first volume of the Ibis trilogy. The second volume is River of Smoke and the third book is Flood of Fire.

The main characters include Deeti, an ordinary village woman, an "octoroon" American sailor named Zachary Reid, an Indian rajah / zamindar called Neel Rattan Halder, and Benjamin Burnham, an evangelist opium trader.

The story is set prior to the First Opium War, on the banks of the holy river Ganges and in Calcutta. The author compares the Ganges to the Nile, the lifeline of the Egyptian civilization, attributing the provenance and growth of these civilizations to these selfless, ever-flowing bodies. He portrays the characters as poppy seeds emanating in large numbers from the field to form a sea, where every single seed is uncertain about its future.

Who will be joining us?We will start Nov. 1.

message 2: by Dianne (new)

Dianne | 9 comments Has anyone read anything by Ghosh? Is anyone who is planning to read sea of poppies thinking about reading the whole trilogy?

message 3: by Biblio (new)

Biblio Curious (bibliocurious) | 164 comments Oh my gosh!!! This book won? I'm so shamefully weak when it comes to beautiful covers. And it touches on the Opium trade in China so it's interesting in my books!!!

Whoever designs this author's covers is a genius!! If book one is interesting, I'll sure read the rest of the series.

I'm here for the art, but I'll stay for the story ^.^

message 4: by Drew (new)

Drew (drewlynn) | 63 comments Dianne wrote: "Has anyone read anything by Ghosh? Is anyone who is planning to read sea of poppies thinking about reading the whole trilogy?"

I probably will read the entire trilogy unless I really hate SoP. I'm kind of obsessive that way.

message 5: by Drew (last edited Oct 18, 2017 10:03AM) (new)

Drew (drewlynn) | 63 comments I don't have my copy of the book yet but Ami kindly suggested some options for our reading schedule. (Thank you, Ami!) I'm leaning toward breaking the book into three parts with 14 days to read each part like so:

November 1-14...Initial Thoughts and Part I (165p)
November 15-29...Part II (157p)
November 30-December 14...Part III & Final Thoughts (143p)

Would this work? This is still tentative and can be adjusted as necessary. It doesn't take the Thanksgiving holiday into consideration but we would be done before Christmas.

message 6: by Drew (new)

Drew (drewlynn) | 63 comments Biblio wrote: "Oh my gosh!!! This book won? I'm so shamefully weak when it comes to beautiful covers. And it touches on the Opium trade in China so it's interesting in my books!!!

Whoever designs this author's c..."

I'm a sucker for a beautiful book cover!

message 7: by Ami (new)

Ami Drew wrote: "Dianne wrote: "Has anyone read anything by Ghosh? Is anyone who is planning to read sea of poppies thinking about reading the whole trilogy?"

I probably will read the entire trilogy unless I reall..."

I'm with him.

message 8: by Ami (new)

Ami Drew wrote: "I don't have my copy of the book yet but Ami kindly suggested some options for our reading schedule. (Thank you, Ami!) I'm leaning toward breaking the book into three parts with 14 days to read eac..."

Hey! You're most welcome :)

It's two weeks per part, so it allows for off time and reading during the Thanksgiving Holiday...Killing two birds with one stone.

message 9: by Ami (new)

Ami Biblio wrote: "Oh my gosh!!! This book won? I'm so shamefully weak when it comes to beautiful covers. And it touches on the Opium trade in China so it's interesting in my books!!!

Whoever designs this author's c..."

Biblio, you better be here for the story! I don't care if you talk about the cover for 6-weeks. HA! It's been too long, and oh, Happy belated Thanksgiving to you!

message 10: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (bibliohound) | 5 comments I'm in for this one as well, may fall behind schedule a bit as I'm helping with the Fingersmith thread, but have wanted to read this for ages.

message 11: by Hugh (new)

Hugh (bodachliath) | 189 comments Mod
I read this one when it came it in paperback - I remember being quite impressed, but not enough that I want to read it again now...

message 12: by Biblio (new)

Biblio Curious (bibliocurious) | 164 comments Thanks Ami! It's been a coon's age! It'll be great to read together again.

It's super funny, but I almost took this out of the library before it was in the polls just 'cause I wanted to read it ^.^

message 13: by Biblio (new)

Biblio Curious (bibliocurious) | 164 comments Aren't they just beautiful? I wonder who designed the cover art?

message 14: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (bibliohound) | 5 comments They're gorgeous. My cover is this one Sea of Poppies by Amitav Ghosh

message 15: by Dianne (new)

Dianne | 9 comments Drew wrote: "I don't have my copy of the book yet but Ami kindly suggested some options for our reading schedule. (Thank you, Ami!) I'm leaning toward breaking the book into three parts with 14 days to read eac..."

This looks great! I"ll post it in a separate thread. Thanks Drew! and Ami!

message 16: by Ami (new)

Ami Pamela wrote: "They're gorgeous. My cover is this one Sea of Poppies by Amitav Ghosh"

Oh, Pamela... Your cover is so dreamy, very "Far Pavilions-ish."

I have the one shown in Biblio's post.

message 17: by Ami (new)

Ami Biblio wrote: "Thanks Ami! It's been a coon's age! It'll be great to read together again.

It's super funny, but I almost took this out of the library before it was in the polls just 'cause I wanted to read it ^.^"

Sometimes it's just literary kismet. I'll see you in the threads!

message 18: by Haaze (last edited Oct 19, 2017 09:13PM) (new)

Haaze | 120 comments Dianne wrote: "Has anyone read anything by Ghosh? Is anyone who is planning to read sea of poppies thinking about reading the whole trilogy?"

Tempting, very tempting.......

A wonderful review in The Guardian *spoilers*: https://www.theguardian.com/books/200...

message 19: by Biblio (new)

Biblio Curious (bibliocurious) | 164 comments The more, the merrier!!

I'm curious about the Opium trade back then. Maybe this book will introduce us to the history of it. Surely, there's some great historical books or documentaries to get us warmed up?

message 20: by Haaze (new)

Haaze | 120 comments I browsed some of Ghosh's other works:

The Great Derangement: Climate Change and the Unthinkable by Amitav Ghosh,
Such a relevant and critical contemporary topic. Ghosh seems to have written all kinds of interesting things during his career.

message 21: by Haaze (new)

Haaze | 120 comments Check out the dimensions of this book (the third part of Ghosh's trilogy).
(from Amazon.com)
A pretty hefty book! ; -)

Series: The Ibis Trilogy (Book 3)
Hardcover: 624 pages
Publisher: Farrar, Straus and Giroux (August 4, 2015)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0374174245
ISBN-13: 978-0374174248
Product Dimensions: 6.2 x 36.4 x 237 inches

message 22: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (bibliohound) | 5 comments Haaze wrote: "Check out the dimensions of this book (the third part of Ghosh's trilogy).."

Wouldn't fit on my bookshelf anyway :)

message 23: by Haaze (new)

Haaze | 120 comments Perhaps under the bed?

message 24: by Biblio (new)

Biblio Curious (bibliocurious) | 164 comments I'll visit the library for my November round up ^.^ Always exciting to bring in a fresh pile of books. So I'll start this one tomorrow.

message 25: by Biblio (new)

Biblio Curious (bibliocurious) | 164 comments Gosh... when I said I'd bring home a pile of new books, I meant from a list, not freshly recommended ones!! Focus, I've just got to focus!!

message 26: by Haaze (new)

Haaze | 120 comments Biblio wrote: "Gosh... when I said I'd bring home a pile of new books, I meant from a list, not freshly recommended ones!! Focus, I've just got to focus!!"

Well....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTx9d...

message 27: by Dianne (new)

Dianne | 9 comments Haaze wrote: "I browsed some of Ghosh's other works:

The Great Derangement: Climate Change and the Unthinkable by Amitav Ghosh,
Such a relevant and critical contemporary topic. Gho..."

this is fascinating, what a dramatic change from sea of poppies!

message 28: by Sarah (new)

Sarah I'm going to be starting this one soon and I'm wondering if anyone has decided to move on with the sequels? I have my fingers crossed that this one is as lovely as it sounds, and as lovely as the cover!

message 29: by Dianne (new)

Dianne | 9 comments It’s very good, but not amazing in my view Sarah Anne. I don’t have it high on my list for the trilogy at this point though.