Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > Book Summaries etc... - Gripe/Complaint

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bozana (new)

Bozana (bozana7) | 337 comments

Hi Everyone!

I'm getting a tad cranky with bad book summaries, bad punctuation, spelling mistakes, bad layouts, bad grammar and added unnecessary stuff/junk, that doesn't need to be there. All that's needs to be there, is what is the book is about, and with correct spelling, punctuation etc... and a good layout that draws interest/attention with good formatting.

Worst cases are box sets/anthologies, with the least information about the books in them. I'm finding that I'm re-doing these, to add more about the books (information) in them, as at times, they are no where else to be found. Say a series of books, however, it's in a boxed/set or anthology, however, it was never published on it's own and it needs to be added to that series. I go the extra mile to find this information and google till I find it and add it and than add it to the series for books and in the book summery.

Just gets me mad, that lots are just a lot of re-do's and a whole lot of mess, when it shouldn't be. There needs to be a indicator of what's proper or not when filling the book's summary and not the extra "junk" such as about the author, awards etc... and the following series that the book is in when it's already in Goodreads with a click of a link to the series itself.

Another gripe:

People are still doing example: Book 1 and other nonsense stuff in the book title... perhaps changing the fields will help matters? Put the Book Series on it's own and the book numbering in a separate field? It will lesson the stuff that librarians need to fix/redoo and less JUNK! A simple fix but lots of re-do's and lots of data relationships (SQL), however, better now than later.

Also, I can't delete extra books that are added by mistake, that doesn't have ISBN or ASIN etc or isn't a new "cover".. it's just there! Perhaps you need to give this extra power to your librarians to make this choice to delete "extras" that doesn't lead to anywhere... because, at the moment, it won't let me, if it has 50 or more comments on the book. Sometimes, separating the book, does work, and than deleting it, however, not all the time. Very frustrating!

I'll continue to work repairing book titles, authors (order of the authors in the box sets/anthologies etc...), adding new series, fixing series and book summaries and anything else that crops up... However. please fix these above issues or do something. Extremely irksome!

Huge hugs!

Yours faithfully

Bozana

P.S. I've been a librarian since I was 6yrs old in school libraries. I'm 46yrs old now. I also own over 23.7k of Kindle eBooks. And my sincerest apologies if I've upset anyone!

message 2: by Ayshe (new)

Ayshe | 3052 comments bad book summaries, bad punctuation, spelling mistakes...Most of these are probably by the automated imports, not people who add them manually on goodreads, I think description/title/authors/etc. get imported as they exist on the source - amazon, publishers... If you have specific edits in mind, you can go to the edit page, check the Changelog for more details and if it's deliberate incorrect change you can flag to bring it to staff's attention.

Librarians can merge duplicates, this is the how-to: https://www.goodreads.com/help/show/3... If they have been shelved by more than 5 people, that will require superlibrarian though and there are separate threads for these requests, the current one is: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

There is lot of mess, that's for sure, one gripe of mine are some Hachette Livre imports, for example: Instruction Ga(c)Na(c)Rale Sur La Conscription Modeles, authors are in wrong format and not only that has to be fixed, but earlier this year bots changed titles to some sort of gibberish: 'Instruction Generale Sur La Conscription Modeles' to 'Instruction Ga(c)Na(c)Rale Sur La Conscription Modeles' for the specific example.

message 3: by lethe (last edited Oct 17, 2017 07:36AM) (new)

lethe | 13731 comments Bozana wrote: "All that's needs to be there, is what is the book is about, and with correct spelling, punctuation etc... and a good layout that draws interest/attention with good formatting."

I am very much against the formatting that you seem to like in the description field (text in bold, etc.). Also, not all the formatting seems to work ("text-align: center") The only formatting I want to see is italics for the title, and paragraphs (ETA: by pressing 'Enter' twice, not by html). Nothing more, please.

Bozana wrote: "There needs to be a indicator of what's proper or not when filling the book's summary and not the extra "junk" such as about the author, awards etc..."

I would think the popup screen is clear enough: "Description/synopsis only", and of course there is the manual, which people are supposed to consult before doing any adds/edits: https://www.goodreads.com/help/show/404

Awards may be added to the description if they are not listed on Goodreads.

I suspect most of the descriptions containing "junk" are imported by bots or added/copied from elsewhere by the authors themselves.

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 4700 comments Just a clarification on what lethe said...

Awards can go in the description if they aren't an award by GR standards. They shouldn't be in both the description & the award field. :)

message 5: by Empress (last edited Oct 17, 2017 01:55PM) (new)

Empress (the_empress) In regards to scripts. We have complaint for the types of edits and information they import multiple times. Feel free to support us and give your voice in the Feedback group:
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...
https://www.goodreads.com/comment/sho...
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

In regards to the Librarians, please come and have a discussion with us here .

Bozana wrote: "Perhaps you need to give this extra power to your librarians to make this choice to delete "extras" that doesn't lead to anywhere... because, at the moment, it won't let me"

If it is not letting you to delete something, feel free to post in this group and ask for help. Apart from the specificity of how to do something sometimes other librarians can offer some insight and work-arounds. Sometimes the solution is as simple as someone else deleting it for you (a Super Librarian for example), but sometimes that would be the wrong thing to do. The few limitations set in the system are there to protect the user-data.