Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

2018 Plans > Erica's 2018 Plan

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Erica (last edited Dec 15, 2018 03:54AM) (new)

Erica | 460 comments CURRENTLY READING
Swann's Way (In Search of Lost Time, #1) by Marcel Proust The Rise and Fall of the Dinosaurs A New History of a Lost World by Stephen Brusatte How to Live Safely in a Science Fictional Universe by Charles Yu Galway Bay by Mary Pat Kelly

TOTAL: 117/126

Around the Year- 50/52

✔1. A book with the letters A, T & Y in the title All the Ugly and Wonderful Things★★★★★
✔2. A book from the first 10 books added to your To Be Read list Physics of the Future: How Science Will Shape Human Destiny and Our Daily Lives by the Year 2100★★★★
✔3. A book from the 2017 Goodreads Choice Awards The Sun and Her Flowers★★★★★
✔4. Book #1 Earth The Obelisk Gate★★★★
✔5. A book about or inspired by real events Breaking Free: How I Escaped My Father-Warren Jeffs-Polygamy, and the FLDS Cult★★★★
✔6. A book originally written in a language other than English Men Without Women: Stories★★★★
✔7. A gothic novel The Death of Mrs. Westaway★★★★
✔8. An "own voices" book* Everything I Never Told You★★★★
✔9. A book with a body part in the title The Lonely Hearts Hotel★★★★★
✔10. An author's debut book The Animators★★★★★
✔11. A literary fiction The Heart's Invisible Furies★★★★★
✔12. A book set in Africa or South America The Queue★★★★
✔13. A book with a plot centered around a secret Let Me Lie★★★★
✔14. Fire Girls Burn Brighter★★★★
✔15. A book with an unique format/writing structure Illuminae★★★★★
✔16. A narrative nonfiction Educated: A Memoir★★★★
✔17. A book you expect to make you laugh Let's Pretend This Never Happened: A Mostly True Memoir★★★★★
✔18. A book with a location in the title The Boy on the Bridge★★★
✔19. A book nominated for the Edgar Award or by a Grand master author The Outsider★★★★
✔20. A book rated 5 stars by at least one of your friends The Immortalists★★★★★
✔21. A book written in first person perspective Apron Strings: Navigating Food and Family in France, Italy, and China★★★★
✔22. A book you have high expectations or hope for The Daughters★★★
✔23. A medical or legal thriller The Hot Zone: The Terrifying True Story of the Origins of the Ebola Virus★★★★
✔24. A book with a map Thirteen Reasons Why★★★
✔25. A book with an antagonist/villain point of view You★★★
✔26. A book with a text only cover Exit West★★★★
✔27. A book about surviving a hardship Only Human★★★★★
✔28. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #3 Water Lie to Me★★★
✔29. A book with a "Clue" weapon on the cover or title Girl Waits with Gun★★★★
✔30. A short book The Night Masquerade★ ★ ★
✔31. A book set in a country you'd like to visit but have never been to Origin ★ ★ ★ ★
✔32. An alternate history book Underground Airlines★ ★ ★ ★
✔33. A book connected to a word "born" in the same year as you (AIDS) Virus Hunt: The Search for the Origin of HIV★ ★ ★ ★
✔34. polarizing or a close-call (fruit/vegetable)- Tangerine★ ★ ★
✔35. A book featuring a murder One of Us Is Lying★ ★ ★
✔36. A book published in the last 3 years (2016, 2017, 2018) by an author you haven't read before The Hazel Wood★★★★★
✔37. A Women's Prize for Fiction winner or nominee (link1, link2)The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet★★★★
✔38. A science book or a science fiction book Waking Gods★★★★★
39. A book with a form of punctuation in the title We'll Never Be Apart
✔40. A book from Amazon's 100 Books to Read in a Lifetime list Wonder ★★★★★
✔41. A book by an author with the same first and last initials Rich People Problems★★★★
✔42. A book that takes place on, in, or underwater The Deep★★★★
✔43. A book with a title that is a whole sentence We Love You, Charlie Freeman★★★★
✔44. A ghost story Horrorstör★★★★★
45. A book that intimidates/ scares you Swann's Way
✔46. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #4 Air Strange Weather★★★★
✔47. A book where the main character (or author) is of a different ethnic origin, religion, or sexual identity than your own China Rich Girlfriend★★★
✔48. A book related to one of the 7 deadly sins (wrath) Revenge★★★★★
✔49. A book from one of the Goodreads Best Books of the Month lists Goodbye, Vitamin★★★★★
✔50. A book with a warm atmosphere (centered on family, friendship, love or summer) The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society★★★★
✔51. An award-winning short story or short story collection Her Body and Other Parties★★★
✔52. A book published in 2018 Red Clocks★★★★

POPSUGAR 2018 Reading Challenge 45/50

✔1. A book made into a movie you've already seen Pet Sematary★★★★
✔2. True crime Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI★★★
✔3. The next book in a series you've started The Stone Sky★★★★
✔4. A book involving a heist Sex on the Moon: The Amazing Story Behind the Most Audacious Heist in History★★
✔5. Nordic noir The Bat★★★
✔6. A novel based on a real person The Other Einstein★★★★
✔7. A book set in a country that fascinates you Crazy Rich Asians ★★★★
✔8. A book with a time of day in the title Midnight at the Bright Ideas Bookstore★★★★
✔9. A book about a villian or antihero Hidden Bodies★★★★
✔10. A book about death or grief The Broken Girls★★★★★
✔11. A book with a female author who uses a male pseudonym The Silkworm★★★★
✔12. A book with an LGBTQ+ protagonist Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe★★★★
✔13. A book that is also a stage play or musical Misery★★★★★
✔14. A book by an author of a different ethnicity to you The Parking Lot Attendant★★★
✔15. A book about feminism The Female Persuasion★★★★
✔16. A book about mental health Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine★★★★★
✔17. A book you borrowed or that was given to you as a gift The Cabin at the End of the World★★★★
✔18. A book by two authors Fitness Junkie★★★★
✔19. A book about or involving sport Girl Runner★★★★
✔20. A book by a local author Tides of Honour★★★★
✔21. A book with your favourite colour in the title Green Island★★★★★
✔22. A book with alliteration in the title When Life Gives You Lululemons★★★★
23. A book about time travel How to Live Safely in a Science Fictional Universe
✔24. A book with a weather element in the title Force of Nature★★★★
✔25. A book set at sea Meg★★
✔26. A book with an animal in the title Rainbirds★★★
✔27. A book set on a different planet The Martian Chronicles★★★★
✔28. A book with song lyrics in the title Other People's Houses★★★★
✔29. A book about or set on Halloween Kill Creek★★★★★
30. A book with characters who are twins Mischling
✔31. A book mentioned in another book The Little Prince★★★★★
✔32. A book from a celebrity bookclub The Power★★★★
✔33. A childhood classic you've never read A Wrinkle in Time★★★★
✔34. A book that's published in 2018 The Wife Between Us★★★
✔35. A past goodreads Choice Awards winner The Ocean at the End of the Lane★★★★★
✔36. A book set in the decade you were born My Best Friend's Exorcism★★★★
✔37. A book you meant to read in 2017 but didn't get to Rosemary's Baby★★★★
✔38. A book with an ugly cover The Woman in the Window★★★★
✔39. A book that involves a bookstore or library The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry★★★★★
✔40. Your favourite prompt from the 2015, 2016 or 2017 POPSUGAR Reading Challenges (Non-fiction)- The Sixth Extinction: An Unnatural History★★★★★

Advanced
✔41. A bestseller from the year you graduated high school On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft ★★★★★
42. A cyberpunk book Moxyland
✔43. A book that was being read by a stranger in a public place Sometimes I Lie★★★★
44. A book tied to your ancestry Galway Bay
✔45. A book with a fruit or vegetable in the title Heart Berries★★★★
✔46. An allegory Vox★★★★
✔47. A book by an author with the same first or last name as you Still Life★★★★
48. A micro history The Rise and Fall of the Dinosaurs: A New History of a Lost World
✔49. A book about a problem facing society today The Sellout★★★★
✔50. A book recommended by someone else taking the POPSUGAR Reading Challenge Lab Girl★★★★

Book Riot Read Harder 2018 24/24

✔1. A book published posthumously Ariel★★★★★
✔2. A book of true crime I'll Be Gone in the Dark: One Woman's Obsessive Search for the Golden State Killer★★★★★
✔3. A classic of genre fiction (i.e. mystery, sci fi/fantasy, romance) Dune★★★
✔4. A comic written and illustrated by the same person Big Mushy Happy Lump★★★★★
✔5. A book set in or about one of the five BRICS countries (Brazil, Russia, India, China, or South Africa) The Leavers★★★★★
✔6. A book about nature The Nature Fix: Why Nature Makes us Happier, Healthier, and More Creative★★★★
✔7. A western Vengeance Road★★★★
✔8. A comic written or illustrated by a person of color American Born Chinese★★★★
✔9. A book of colonial or postcolonial literature Things Fall Apart ★★★★
✔10. A romance novel by or about a person of color Everything, Everything★★★
✔11. A children’s classic published before 1980 Danny the Champion of the World★★★
✔12. A celebrity memoirLife in Motion: An Unlikely Ballerina★★★★
✔13. An Oprah Book Club selection An American Marriage★★★★★
✔14. A book of social science Parenting Beyond Pink & Blue: How to Raise Your Kids Free of Gender Stereotypes★★★★
✔15. A one-sitting book Home★★★★
✔16. The first book in a new-to-you YA or middle grade series Every Heart a Doorway★★★★
✔17. A sci fi novel with a female protagonist by a female author Binti★★★★
✔18. A comic that isn’t published by Marvel, DC, or Image The Complete Persepolis★★★★★
✔19. A book of genre fiction in translation The Devotion of Suspect X★★★
✔20. A book with a cover you hate Fire and Fury: Inside the Trump White House★★★
✔21. A mystery by a person of color or LGBTQ+ author The Bone Garden★★★★
✔22. An essay anthology Not That Bad: Dispatches from Rape Culture★★★★★
✔23. A book with a female protagonist over the age of 60 The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo★★★★★
✔24. An assigned book you hated (or never finished) Macbeth★★★★

message 2: by Erica (last edited May 31, 2018 10:37PM) (new)

Erica | 460 comments Second Quarter Stats

Top 5

Horrorstör
The Immortalists
Girls Burn Brighter

ATY (29/52)

Her Body and Other Parties by Carmen Maria Machado The Boy on the Bridge (The Girl With All the Gifts #2) by M.R. Carey Let Me Lie by Clare Mackintosh Horrorstör by Grady Hendrix Origin (Robert Langdon, #5) by Dan Brown Girls Burn Brighter by Shobha Rao Educated A Memoir by Tara Westover The Immortalists by Chloe Benjamin One of Us Is Lying by Karen M. McManus China Rich Girlfriend (Crazy Rich Asians #2) by Kevin Kwan

PopSugar (18/50)

Hidden Bodies (You, #2) by Caroline Kepnes Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman The Stone Sky (The Broken Earth, #3) by N.K. Jemisin Crazy Rich Asians (Crazy Rich Asians, #1) by Kevin Kwan The Parking Lot Attendant by Nafkote Tamirat The Female Persuasion by Meg Wolitzer Sometimes I Lie by Alice Feeney Sex on the Moon The Amazing Story Behind the Most Audacious Heist in History by Ben Mezrich The Wife Between Us by Greer Hendricks Tides of Honour by Genevieve Graham

Book Riot (12/24)

Dune (Dune Chronicles, #1) by Frank Herbert I'll Be Gone in the Dark One Woman's Obsessive Search for the Golden State Killer by Michelle McNamara Every Heart a Doorway (Wayward Children, #1) by Seanan McGuire Home (Binti, #2) by Nnedi Okorafor

message 3: by Erica (new)

Erica | 460 comments Third Quarter Stats

message 4: by Erica (new)

Erica | 460 comments Fourth Quarter Stats

message 5: by Katie (new)

Katie | 2369 comments HIV is one of the words born in my birth year. Your pick sounds like an interesting option for me as well.

message 6: by Erica (new)

Erica | 460 comments Katie wrote: "HIV is one of the words born in my birth year. Your pick sounds like an interesting option for me as well."

Yeah I was excited when I saw that AIDS was one of my words because I love reading about medicine and biology, and this seems right up my alley. There was another one I wanted to read: The Origins of AIDS, but it seems to be harder to find a copy of that one.

message 7: by Mel (new)

Mel | 162 comments The Dark Half is one of my favorite Stephen King books; I hope you wind up enjoying it! :)

message 8: by Erica (new)

Erica | 460 comments I wasn't going to do the Pop Sugar challenge next year since it looks like I won't finish this year's, but so many of the prompts look interesting!

message 9: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (scharle4) | 94 comments Great lists! I am planning on doing the POPSUGAR challenge as well.

message 10: by Erica (new)

Erica | 460 comments Well I still haven’t finished any of my 2017 challenges... on the last book for Book Riot now, have one more for ATY, and 10 for Pop Sugar, yikes! So I’m going to finish Book Riot and ATY and forget about Pop Sugar, then I’ll start ATY 2018, hopefully only just over a week late.

And this year I’m going to try my best to really do one challenge at a time!

message 11: by Erica (new)

Erica | 460 comments Of course, the last 2 books I have to read are long (500 p and 360 p but dense).

message 12: by Erica (new)

Erica | 460 comments Alright! Finally starting my first book! I still have one for 2017, but it's paperback so I'm starting a kindle book for week 1!

message 13: by Zaz (new)

Zaz | 3034 comments Have fun :)

message 14: by Erica (new)

Erica | 460 comments First book down, and it was so good!

message 15: by Erica (new)

Erica | 460 comments 2 done! Officially caught up!

message 16: by Erica (new)

Erica | 460 comments Adding Book Riot even though I didn't finish all 3 last year...

message 17: by Erica (new)

Erica | 460 comments Feeling pretty good! I started almost 2 weeks late and still have managed to read 9 books for this year's challenge already! Thank you readathon!

message 18: by Erica (new)

Erica | 460 comments Wow, Let's Pretend This Never Happened: A Mostly True Memoir was exactly what I needed this week. I've been a bit down because of pregnancy hormones, and this book was so funny it cheered me right up!

message 19: by Erica (new)

Erica | 460 comments Ahead with ATY and Book Riot and behind with Pop Sugar. Between having downtime at work to read and being on maternity leave from June, I think I might finish all 3 this year!

message 20: by Erica (new)

Erica | 460 comments Hoping the readathon will help me get caught up in the other challenges!

message 21: by Leigh (new)

Leigh (leighgray) | 60 comments wow. This is really impressive!

message 22: by Erica (new)

Erica | 460 comments Leigh wrote: "wow. This is really impressive!"

Thank you!

message 23: by Anna (new)

Anna | 977 comments You have great choices, Erica. Some on your list I've read and really liked: I Contain Multitudes: The Microbes Within Us and a Grander View of Life, Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine, The Shadow of the Wind, The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry.
I'm looking forward to starting The Broken Earth trilogy this year.

message 25: by Erica (new)

Erica | 460 comments Anna wrote: "You have great choices, Erica. Some on your list I've read and really liked: I Contain Multitudes: The Microbes Within Us and a Grander View of Life, Eleanor Oliphant Is Compl..."</i>

Thanks! I loved [book:Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine
and The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry Looking forward to the others!

message 26: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) | 2546 comments I'm reading The Heart's Invisible Furies. What a great book! It's hard to put down.

message 27: by Erica (new)

Erica | 460 comments Making good progress, but baby is due tomorrow (and I'm being induced), so all bets are off after that!

message 28: by Anastasia (new)

Anastasia (anastasiaharris) | 1331 comments Congratulations Erica. The best advice I received is to sleep when the baby sleeps. It is the only way to get enough rest for those late night feedings. 🙂

message 29: by Erica (new)

Erica | 460 comments Will try but I also have an almost 3 year old, so I imagine this time it’ll be a bit harder.

message 30: by Erica (new)

Erica | 460 comments Well, having a toddler and a newborn makes reading pretty difficult! No time during the day unless they nap at the same time (and there are usually more important things to do like nap or shower), and by the time they’re both asleep at night, I’m too exhausted to stay awake 😭 The rest of the year will be slow going I guess.

message 31: by Erica (new)

Erica | 460 comments I've been sneaking in more reading and now I only have 10 books to go! Trying to make ATY a priority over the other challenges so I'll at least finish one this year.

message 32: by Tracy, Constellation Mod (new)

Tracy (tracyisreading) | 2472 comments Mod
You can do it!!!!!
Good luck :-)

message 33: by Anastasia (new)

Anastasia (anastasiaharris) | 1331 comments 🏔 You can make it.

message 34: by Erica (new)

Erica | 460 comments 4 left!

message 35: by Erica (new)

Erica | 460 comments Last 2 are dragging... S. because it's hard to find time to sit down and deal with that with 2 young kids, and Swann's Way because I'm reading it on Serial...