Play Book Tag discussion

Hidden Figures
This topic is about Hidden Figures
October 2017: Society > Hidden Figures / Margot Lee Shetterly. 3.25 stars

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

LibraryCin | 8619 comments 3.25 stars

This is a history/biography of some of the African-American women who worked for NASA (or NACA, as it was originally) during the 1940s through to the 1970s. While society, in general, had black and white people still segregated, these brilliant women started off working as “computers” (human math calculators) at NACA, and some worked their way up from there (at least as high as they were able to).

I found the biographies of the women much more interesting than the parts that focused more on NACA/NASA and the science/math though I normally am ok with science, but I suppose that depends on the type of science. These women were brilliant, and had to fight hard to get where they were and to keep going. I am so impressed with what they did. I haven’t seen the move (though I’d like to), and I’m going to guess I might like it better.

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6004 comments The movie is very well acted! I went to see it with my book-club buddies.

message 3: by Joi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Joi (missjoious) | 3822 comments LibraryCin wrote: "I found the biographies of the women much more interesting than the parts that focused more on NACA/NASA and the science/math"

This was exactly why I gave it 3 stars also. Great stories, I thought it was going to be more about the women, and less about the numbers. I did see the movie, and liked it better- but was glad I read the book first to get the backstory of NASA and the context the book gives.

LibraryCin | 8619 comments Glad to hear the movie is worth it!

message 5: by Diane (new)

Diane Zwang | 485 comments Book Concierge wrote: "The movie is very well acted! I went to see it with my book-club buddies."

I saw the movie also and really enjoyed it.

message 6: by Hahtoolah (new)

Hahtoolah | 432 comments I saw the movie, too, and really enjoyed it. Haven’t read the book,though.

message 7: by Cora (new) - added it

Cora (corareading) | 1406 comments This was on of the rare movies that my whole family enjoyed watching together. It is unusual that all three kids will agree that they like a movie (9-year old boy, 12 year-old girl, and 15 year old boy).

message 8: by Joni (new)

Joni | 622 comments I have not read this book yet. It was almost my Society book....but do to my time constraints I needed an audio book and something a little bit shorter. I still plan to read it. I loved the movie.