Bangkok Book Awards discussion

Suggestions of nonfiction books with an Asian connection for our Juvenile category?

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by BLISS librarians in Bangkok (last edited Oct 16, 2017 07:34PM) (new)

BLISS librarians in Bangkok (blisslibrarians) | 1 comments Mod
Remember -- must be published within the last 5 years (so earliest year of publication would be 2012)..... You can suggest titles here and then put them on the Group Bookshelf -- where I have set up a "Juvenile - Nonfiction" shelf.

message 2: by Katie (last edited Oct 16, 2017 07:43PM) (new)

Katie Day (librarianedge) | 2 comments Mod
This is more middle school than upper primary, but could still fit in the Juvenile category. "Samurai Rising" is a fascinating non-fiction account of samurai (which would go well with our YA choice of "A Flame in the Mist" - which is historical fiction re samurai with a magical bent).

Samurai Rising The Epic Life of Minamoto Yoshitsune by Pamela S. Turner

I've already put it on the group bookshelf.

message 3: by Sally (new)

Sally Flint | 3 comments Katie wrote: "This is more middle school than upper primary, but could still fit in the Juvenile category. "Samurai Rising" is a fascinating non-fiction account of samurai (which would go well with our YA choice..."

Katie wrote: "This is more middle school than upper primary, but could still fit in the Juvenile category. "Samurai Rising" is a fascinating non-fiction account of samurai (which would go well with our YA choice..."

Katie wrote: "This is more middle school than upper primary, but could still fit in the Juvenile category. "Samurai Rising" is a fascinating non-fiction account of samurai (which would go well with our YA choice..."

message 4: by Sally (new)

Sally Flint | 3 comments Why don't we go for that one?

message 5: by Secondary Library (last edited Nov 02, 2017 08:20PM) (new)

Secondary Library NIST (seclibnist) | 1 comments I am aware that the clock is ticking. Here's another suggestion -- Stormy Seas: Stories of Young Boat Refugees

It's non-fiction in a large picture book format, but meant more for middle school. Five stories, including refugees from Vietnam and Afghanistan (so an Asian connection).

Here's a YouTube reviewer talking about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWFcc...

I have read the whole book (back in Singapore) as we chose it for one of the Red Dot books for this year for the Older category (Grades 4-8).

And it's available in paperback.

Originally from Canada.

Here's another review: http://smithsonianapa.org/bookdragon/...

-- Katie at NIST

message 6: by Sally (new)

Sally Flint | 3 comments I am happy to go with Storm Seas. Sal

message 7: by Philip (new)

Philip Williams (philipjwilliams) | 1 comments I really like the sound of this book. It is has current relevance and being a collection of short stories gives it a unique format in our range of books.

message 8: by Traci (new)

Traci | 1 comments Sounds good to me!