Star Wars Bookworms Book Club discussion

Inferno Squad - Oct 2017 > Spoiler-filled Discussion

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Aaron, Jedi Master (new)

Aaron Goins (avgoins) | 213 comments Mod
Discuss all plot points and don't shy away from spoilers in this thread.

message 2: by Bruce (new)

Bruce | 137 comments This novel affected me in a weird way. The Inferno Squad is part of the Empire and are the bad guys, right? But I found myself rooting for them. Author Christie Golden did an excellent job at portraying the Squad members as real people who have a job to do. It's not about if they are evil. From their point of view, they are doing what is right to protect the Empire and its people from the evil Rebels who cause death and destruction throughout the galaxy. In this case, they are after Saw Gerrera's Partisans, who we learn from Rogue One are not on the straight and narrow as our more heroic Rebels. Iden Versio has an interesting backstory connected with her Imperial father, thus making her a great lead character of this squad. The novel is based on a video game, but it feels like a standalone story original to itself. Does anyone want another story with this squad? I do!

message 3: by Teresa, Ewok Defender (new)

Teresa Delgado (icecoldpenguin) | 142 comments Mod
My favorite part of this book are all the tie ins to other pieces of literature and the films. In fact as one of our facebook group members suggests this book really helps to make an arc of story starting with catalyst then to rebel rising then to rogue one (movie) then to a new hope (movie) then tie it up with inferno squad.

I also love that there are things in this book that were in dark disciple as well.

message 4: by Teresa, Ewok Defender (new)

Bruce wrote: "This novel affected me in a weird way. The Inferno Squad is part of the Empire and are the bad guys, right? But I found myself rooting for them. Author Christie Golden did an excellent job at portr..."

I do! I would love one more book since there is plenty of time before the events of the game. Or maybe even something after the events of the game.

message 5: by Aaron, Jedi Master (new)

Aaron Goins (avgoins) | 213 comments Mod
Bruce wrote: "In this case, they are after Saw Gerrera's Partisans, who we learn from Rogue One are not on the straight and narrow as our more heroic Rebels."

That was one saving grace for me. I was having a hard time rooting for Imperials, but it helped that they were trying to take out an extreme group and not a group of rebels like the Ghost crew.

message 6: by Chad (last edited Oct 17, 2017 08:06AM) (new)

Chad | 30 comments Bruce wrote: "This novel affected me in a weird way. The Inferno Squad is part of the Empire and are the bad guys, right? But I found myself rooting for them. Author Christie Golden did an excellent job at portr..."

So I have to be honest, when I saw the announcement for this book and the title "Inferno Squad" I really was expecting a lot more action. The lack of action was my biggest issue with this book and the plot was somewhat predictable. I guess Christie Golden was limited in terms of where she could take the story, maybe because of the book being a tie-in for the upcoming Battlefront 2 video game. Other than that I really like the "morally ambiguous" tone of this book. This left me conflicted, do I cheer for the rebels who would kill a bunch of kids in order to get their point across or do I cheer for the Imperials? UGGGHH!! I felt like I got swift kick to the gut when Seyn passed.. That one hurt.... But I wouldn't mind a follow up or another story following Inferno Squad.

message 7: by Khurram (new)

Khurram (theirongeek) | 26 comments Have to say out of all the recent Star Wars book this year, this was the one I was looking forward to the most and liked the least.

It was the lack of action, too drawn out, and even the name. If you are going to call them Inferno Squad, get them to blow stuff up, scorched earth tactics (which are completely in keeping with the Empires style), not make them an infiltration unit who nobody is supposed to know they are there.

I wish they whole book could have been like the first chapter and the epilogue. Those bits were very good. Like Chas said I would be interested in infiltrating the actual Rebellion, and seeing first hand how the Empire has hurt people, especially as a couple of the main characters have already taken steps that way, otherwise I would not care if I did not hear from them again.

This was my review on the book.

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 8: by Chad (new)

Chad | 30 comments Khurram wrote: "Have to say out of all the recent Star Wars book this year, this was the one I was looking forward to the most and liked the least.

It was the lack of action, too drawn out, and even the name. If ..."

Khurram is it safe to say you're not a fan?? lol

message 9: by Caleb (new)

Caleb Hobbick (chobbick) | 97 comments I love when she stunned the senator and didn’t kill him.

message 10: by Khurram (new)

Khurram (theirongeek) | 26 comments Chad. No I am not fan of this book. Sorry

message 11: by Chad (new)

Chad | 30 comments Khurram,

I completely understand why. The book had some strong points, but yeah it was very meh (average at best).

message 12: by Khurram (new)

Khurram (theirongeek) | 26 comments Completely agree.

message 13: by Teresa, Ewok Defender (new)

Aaron wrote: "Bruce wrote: "In this case, they are after Saw Gerrera's Partisans, who we learn from Rogue One are not on the straight and narrow as our more heroic Rebels."

That was one saving grace for me. I w..."

I agree with the oddness of the title. It does leave a little to wonder why that title?

message 14: by Teresa, Ewok Defender (new)

Chad wrote: "Khurram wrote: "Have to say out of all the recent Star Wars book this year, this was the one I was looking forward to the most and liked the least.

It was the lack of action, too drawn out, and ev..."

Or so they lead us to think...

message 15: by N.E.C.C. (new)

N.E.C.C. | 28 comments I really like this one, but i agreed with most people about the lack of action.
I feel that the first part was great, with infiltration missions and all that, but then it slowed down and it wasn't the same for me,
Even though i liked it, it could've been much much better,

message 16: by Kev (new)

Kev (sporadicreviews) | 24 comments Teresa wrote: "I also love that there are things in this book that were in dark disciple as well."

There were?! Can you elaborate?

I liked this book.
Which is odd because I find myself not really enjoying most of the SW books. I'm a fan though, so I'll keep giving them a chance.