What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

A Lantern in Her Hand
This topic is about A Lantern in Her Hand
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. YA historical fiction. Young girl moves with her family to homestead on the prairie. Spoiler ahead. [s]

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Karen (new)

Karen O'Driscoll | 4 comments Young girl's life growing up as part of a homesteading family and then raising her own. SPOILER ALERT: The only part I clearly remember is at the end of the book when she dies. Her grown kids are outside with their families and she goes in to lie down. She falls asleep and wakes up surprised to see the light has changed, like someone adjusted the blinds. The voices of her family outside are more distant. Her dead husband comes into the room and she gets up and leaves with him. I read it in elementary school in the mid-60's. TIA!

message 2: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Immitt | 11 comments I don't have it with me at the moment, so I can't check the ending, but it sounds a little like A Lantern in Her Hand by Bess Streeter Aldrich. Next time I'm at my parent's house, I'll see if I can find my copy of it and see if that's how it ended.

message 3: by Karen (new)

Karen O'Driscoll | 4 comments YES!!!! That's it! I love you! Now I need to move this to SOLVED. Going to re-read that one and The Witch of Blackbird Pond.

message 4: by Kris (last edited Oct 16, 2017 05:57PM) (new)

Kris | 33304 comments Mod
Glad you found your book, Karen. Here's the link for Rebecca's find - A Lantern in Her Hand by Bess Streeter Aldrich.

Added a spoiler alert to the topic header.

message 5: by Karen (new)

Karen O'Driscoll | 4 comments Kris wrote: "Glad you found your book, Karen. Here's the link for Rebecca's find - A Lantern in Her Hand by Bess Streeter Aldrich.

Added a spoiler alert to the topic header."

Thanks. This was my maiden voyage on this site and I can't believe it only took about an hour. Hive mind. I ordered it to re-read. Thx!

message 6: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Immitt | 11 comments I'm so glad that was the right one! It's a wonderful book!!

message 7: by Karen (new)

Karen O'Driscoll | 4 comments Yes. I am re-reading it now. Thanks so much!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

A Lantern in Her Hand (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Bess Streeter Aldrich (other topics)