The Merciless Read A Long! discussion

First Impressions

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Katie (new)

Katie (katesbookdate) | 3 comments Mod
If you've started the book and want to start chatting, this is the place to start! (Please try to keep this as spoiler free as possible by giving warnings or hiding spoilers).

Share your first impressions of the book, any questions you have, or just make friends and chat! :)

Books on Stereo | 7 comments I'm actually on Chapter 9. I just couldn't put the book down. I got major Craft and Mean Girls vibe. The references are so on point! I am really enjoying these characters. I did find the plot to be a bit slow in the first few chapters, but the atmosphere kept me gripped.

I'm loving this so much!

But, I forgot to introduce myself. My name is Xavier, and I have a YouTube channel called Charlesxplosion. I read way to much, and I def need pick up more spooky books.

message 3: by Haley (new)

Haley (_solemnlyswear) | 2 comments I'm to chapter four so far and I can definitely see why y'all are saying it has Mean Girls vibes, because it definitely does! This book actually reminds me vaguely of The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer. I feel like they have similar vibes more than anything else.

I my opinion there are cliches, however I enjoy that sometimes. This book is definitely a quick read, and I am really enjoying myself so far!

message 4: by Krystal (new)

Krystal (crazylittlebookpage) | 1 comments How did I not hear about this book before?

Tabitha (Bows & Bullets Reviews) (piratevanrock) | 2 comments I have only read the first chapter so far, but I'm definitely interested to see where it's going to go! I have to agree with Fay on the main character observations thus far, she's way too judgey already, but she might improve. It usually takes me a while to warm up the leading character anyway!

Books on Stereo | 7 comments Haley wrote: "I'm to chapter four so far and I can definitely see why y'all are saying it has Mean Girls vibes, because it definitely does! This book actually reminds me vaguely of The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer. I..."

I started the book like two days ago, and I am almost done. Is The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer good?

message 7: by Katie (new)

Katie (katesbookdate) | 3 comments Mod
Xavier (CharlesXplosion) wrote: "Haley wrote: "I'm to chapter four so far and I can definitely see why y'all are saying it has Mean Girls vibes, because it definitely does! This book actually reminds me vaguely of The Unbecoming o..."
I'm biased because The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer is one of my favorite books, but yes! It's super good! haha

message 8: by Haley (new)

Haley (_solemnlyswear) | 2 comments Xavier (CharlesXplosion) wrote: "Haley wrote: "I'm to chapter four so far and I can definitely see why y'all are saying it has Mean Girls vibes, because it definitely does! This book actually reminds me vaguely of The Unbecoming o..."

I enjoyed it quite a lot! I do feel like it has a pretty slow start, but once it picks up it's really great! I recommend it!

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

So on my original post I had only read the first chapter, didn't have much of an impression and I also forgot to introduce myself. But now I'm a little further (I haven't had much time to read today) and I can say that while I'm liking it, I'm worried because I haven't felt much connection to any of the characters - which I'm aware that it's a horror book and a lot of horror books you don't end up feeling connected to the characters, but it's usually very hard for me to get into a book where I'm not connected to anyone. Although, I do want to see more of this Charlie guy because he seems like he's a cutie.

But hi! I'm Preston.

message 10: by Books on Stereo (new)

Books on Stereo | 7 comments Katie wrote: "Xavier (CharlesXplosion) wrote: "Haley wrote: "I'm to chapter four so far and I can definitely see why y'all are saying it has Mean Girls vibes, because it definitely does! This book actually remin..."

I wanted to catch up before the new book comes out! If I buy, the book it will force me to read it sooner (quickly goes to amazon to buy it).

message 11: by Books on Stereo (new)

Books on Stereo | 7 comments Haley wrote: "Xavier (CharlesXplosion) wrote: "Haley wrote: "I'm to chapter four so far and I can definitely see why y'all are saying it has Mean Girls vibes, because it definitely does! This book actually remin..."

Okay, I am down.

message 12: by Books on Stereo (new)

Books on Stereo | 7 comments preston wrote: "So on my original post I had only read the first chapter, didn't have much of an impression and I also forgot to introduce myself. But now I'm a little further (I haven't had much time to read toda..."

I ended really liking the girls by the end. But, I get what you are saying.

message 13: by Books on Stereo (new)

Books on Stereo | 7 comments Fay wrote: "preston wrote: "but it's usually very hard for me to get into a book where I'm not connected to anyone."

I feel the same way. I'm about halfway through and stuff's happening that I theoretically s..."

I agree. The writing is serviceable, but not good. It's easy enough to ignore its flaws since the plot moves so quickly.

message 14: by Sydney (new)

Sydney ✨ | 3 comments I totally agree with everyone saying the writing isn't the best. But the reason I have this such a high rating was because the concept had me needing to know the ending. Plus I also loved Riley. This is the first horror book I ever read, so it holds a special place for me. Was it the best work ever? No. But did I enjoy my time reading it? Yes.

message 15: by Jacquline Grace (new)

Jacquline Grace (jacqulinegrace) | 1 comments So is this worth the read? I was heading to the bookstore and a bunch of 2 star ratings started coming in.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

I’m only on Chapter Eight (I’ve had a very busy week) but I’m very conflicted. I like the writing and there are many sections where the writing is absolutely beautiful, but I wouldn’t say I like the book. The main character bores/irritates me, and the rest of the characters aren’t any more likable (although I want to know more about Grace). I’m hopefully gonna get a lot more finished this weekend since I’m free, and I hope that it gets a lot better from here.

message 17: by Darby (new)

Darby As mentioned there are plenty of similarities to other books and movies, not the least of which is Saved (which I LOVE).

I'm enjoying how quickly this moves and that there's a good mix of YA slice-of-life and spooky cult-ish elements. Definitely a fun little Halloween read!

Tabitha (Bows & Bullets Reviews) (piratevanrock) | 2 comments I'm having a lot of time suspending my disbelief on this. I am just finding everything these characters are doing so out of the norm that it keeps pulling me right out of the story. I don't usually read/watch horror stuff, but I wanted to challenge myself this month to branch out. I'm only 125 or so pages in and I'm having a hard time reading more than a chapter or two when I pick up the book to read.