All About Books discussion

General Archive > November Group Fiction Read- Nominations Please

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

It's time to nominate your choice for our November 2017 group fiction read - please use this thread to nominate.

Nominations start today and will close on 20th October. Apologies for the short nomination period

During this time anybody can either nominate or second a book. The 6 books with the most second votes at the end of the 7 day nomination period will go into the poll. Each person can either nominate one book or second one book. There are no limits to the number of seconds a book can receive.

The poll will then run until the 27th October 2017 and the winner will be announced shortly after. I hope this will leave everybody with enough time to obtain the chosen book.

Please only nominate, second or vote for a book you will read with the group if it should win. Please also check that your chosen nomination hasn't been a group read in the past. You can do this by looking at the group bookshelf, contact one of the moderators or post on 'Ask the Moderators' thread

If you have any questions on the nominations process please contact me, use the 'Ask the Moderators' thread or post on here and we will be happy to help.

And don't forget - our October group fiction read is The Dry by Jane Harper and we very much hope you will join us in reading this together. The link to the discussion thread can be found below:

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I will start us off with

The Bear and the Nightingale by Katherine Arden

message 3: by Jane (new)

Jane Begermi (janebegermi) | 8 comments the master and margarita

message 4: by Greg (new)

Greg | 7684 comments Mod
Jack wrote: "Heather, I assume authors can't nominate one of their novels for consideration, is that correct? Jack King"

Yes Jack, that's correct

message 5: by Jason (new)

Jason | 1051 comments I would like to recommend 11/22/63 by Stephen King

message 6: by Alannah (new)

Alannah Clarke (alannahclarke) | 11965 comments Mod
Heather wrote: "I will start us off with

The Bear and the Nightingale by Katherine Arden"

I have heard good things about this one, I will second Heather's choice.

message 7: by Pam (new)

message 9: by Tawallah (new)

Tawallah | 172 comments I second 11/22/63

message 10: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments I nominate The Beach by Alex Garland

message 11: by Greg (new)

Greg | 7684 comments Mod
I'll nominate the first book of Pat Barker's Booker award winning WWI trilogy, Regeneration

message 12: by Jen from Quebec :0) (last edited Oct 16, 2017 09:55PM) (new)

Jen from Quebec :0) (muppetbaby99) | 57 comments I would love to nominate Holding Still For As Long As Possible Holding Still For As Long As Possible by Zoe Whittall Holding Still for as Long as Possible by Zoe Whittall by Zoe Whittall --Jen from Quebec :0)

message 13: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments Oh, Greg, that is a great book and perfect for November (the month of Veterans Day)!

I will withdraw my nomination and second Regeneration.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

So far we have

1. The Bear and the Nightingale (1 second)
2. The Master and Margarita (2 seconds)
3. 11/22/63 (1 second)
4. Regeneration (1 second)
5. Holding Still For As Long As Possible

Keep your nominations and seconds coming!

message 15: by Greg (new)

Greg | 7684 comments Mod
Leslie wrote: "Oh, Greg, that is a great book and perfect for November (the month of Veterans Day)!

I will withdraw my nomination and second Regeneration."

Yay Leslie! :)

message 17: by Mary Glass (new)

Mary Glass | 54 comments I also vote for The Master and Margarita.

message 18: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 700 comments I will third The Bear and The Nightingale.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

There is still one more day to nominate a book. So far all 5 choices will be going to the poll

message 21: by Shirley (new)

Shirley | 4177 comments I'll second The Bear and the Nightingale.

message 22: by Greg (new)

Greg | 7684 comments Mod
Margaret wrote: "I'll nominate When Saigon Surrendered: A Kentucky Mystery"

Hi Margaret. Is this book available only in a kindle edition? Our nominated books need to be widely available for members in different regions and different formats. We're a quite varied group!

message 23: by Greg (last edited Oct 20, 2017 06:48AM) (new)

Greg | 7684 comments Mod
Jennifer Lynn wrote: "I would love to nominate Holding Still For As Long As Possible Holding Still For As Long As Possible by Zoe Whittall Holding Still for as Long as Possible by Zoe Whittall by..."

Jen, by the description and awards this book has won, I'm really intrigued and want to read this book! The only problem though is that we're definitely a worldwide group. About half our members live in the UK or Europe.

It looks like people in the UK are going to struggle to get this one. It isn't widely available there and won't be in their library system. Even Amazon UK says it takes 1-2 months to dispatch a paperback of it; for copywright reasons the kindle version isn't available there either. Because of these availability issues, we won't be able to add this book to the poll.

Did you want to nominate something else?

Also, if you haven't read Holding Still For As Long As Possible yet, are you interested in a buddy read with me? It looks interesting!

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

Thank you to everybody for your nominations. As Greg has said, we will be unable to put books that aren't widely available on many different mediums into the poll.

Therefore the 4 books going into the poll will be
1. The Bear and the Nightingale
2. The Master and Margarita
3. 11/22/63
4. Regeneration

I think this is a tough choice! Please vote for the book you would most like to read in November. Please only vote if you are interested in participating in the discussion thread if that particular book wins!

message 25: by Alannah (new)

Alannah Clarke (alannahclarke) | 11965 comments Mod
Heather wrote: "Thank you to everybody for your nominations. As Greg has said, we will be unable to put books that aren't widely available on many different mediums into the poll.

Therefore the 4 books going int..."

Voted, I like how you're keeping the results hidden; it peaks my interest.

message 26: by Karin (new)

Karin | 1953 comments Alannah wrote: "Heather wrote: "Thank you to everybody for your nominations. As Greg has said, we will be unable to put books that aren't widely available on many different mediums into the poll.

Therefore the 4..."

Actually, I took a look and could see how the books are doing, but none of them is my cup of tea so I'm not going to vote since I don't expect to read the winner this time. I didn't have any good suggestions to nominate, so am not complaining--those are all popular books :).