Books 'N Booze Book Club discussion

World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War
This topic is about World War Z
October 2017 > World War Z Discussion Questions

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Theresa (gossamerchild) | 334 comments Mod
Hi all and welcome to October. This is the week! I hope you can all join us this Thursday (eh hem, yes, THURSDAY) October 19 at 6:00 pm at the Draft House.

There weren't any pre-made discussion questions for this book (except for classrooms, which seems odd now that I think about it), so I tweaked some generic questions. Let me know if you have any questions or comments. Hope to see you Thursday!

1. How did you experience the book? Were you engaged immediately, or did it take you a while to "get into it"? How did you feel reading it—amused, sad, disturbed, confused, bored...? Was it at any point too scary?

2. There were dozens of characters telling this story, each with a different part to play in the war. Keep some of the following questions in mind when thinking about the characters:
• Why do characters do what they do?
• Are their actions justified?
• Describe the dynamics between characters (in a
marriage, family, or friendship).
• How has the past shaped their lives?
• Do you admire or disapprove of them?
• Do they remind you of people you know?

3. Are the main characters dynamic—changing or maturing by the end of the book? Do they learn about themselves, how the world works and their role in it? Did the format of the book lend itself to creating dynamic characters?

4. Was the plot engaging? Were there any surprises?

5. The book was written in a documentary style. Did you love/hate this style? What worked or didn’t work for you with this story telling style?

6. What main ideas—themes—does the author explore?

7. What passages strike you as insightful, even profound? Perhaps a bit of dialog that's funny or poignant or that encapsulates a character? Maybe there's a particular comment that states the book's thematic concerns?

8. Is the ending satisfying? If so, why? If not, why not...and how would you change it?

9. If you could ask Max Brooks a question, what would you ask? Have you read other books by him? If so how does this book compare? If not, does this book inspire you to read others?

10. Has this novel changed you—broadened your perspective? Have you learned something new or been exposed to different ideas about people or a certain part of the world?

Stephanie LaBella (labellaluke) | 8 comments Sorry I missed the event. I’ve been sick.

Theresa (gossamerchild) | 334 comments Mod
Stephanie wrote: "Sorry I missed the event. I’ve been sick."

That's a bummer, I hope you feel better soon!