Cozy Mysteries discussion

Off topic discussions > Cozy Off Topic

Comments Showing 1-50 of 480 (480 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

message 1: by MaryJo (new)

MaryJo Dawson | 854 comments This is a thread being set up for a dual purpose. First of all, for sharing favorite reads or reads the contributor wants in-put from others about, books that fit the cozy mystery category, albeit loosely. If the book is primarily a clean police procedural, for example, but crosses the line into cozy, that is okay, too.
And second, it is for casual chat among friends who have a love of this reading material in common. As some of us did in the now defunct Amazon chat room, we can visit here.

I will start off by saying I am enjoying Patricia Moye's [book:Curious Affair of the Third Dog|1023133 immensely. This is Inspector Henry Tibbets at its best. When oh when will this series be offered in the e-book format???

message 2: by Susan (new)

Susan Bernhardt | 161 comments Hello Mary Jo. Thank you for setting this up. Let's see who all joins.

I've never read anything by Patricia Moye.

Susan

message 3: by MaryJo (new)

MaryJo Dawson | 854 comments Susan wrote: "Hello Mary Jo. Thank you for setting this up. Let's see who all joins.

I've never read anything by Patricia Moye.

Susan"

Hi Susan,
I'd lend you my soft covers if I could! It is Patricia Moyes, and she was very successful in her Inspector Henry Tibbets mysteries a few decades ago, but post WWII.

message 4: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth8921) | 5308 comments I have not read Patricia Moye but am dedicated to Agatha Christie!

message 5: by MaryJo (new)

MaryJo Dawson | 854 comments Elizabeth wrote: "I have not read Patricia Moye but am dedicated to Agatha Christie!"

Do you also enjoy Dorothy Sayers or Ngaio Marsh?

message 6: by Gardener0126 (new)

Gardener0126 | 171 comments Hi MaryJo, thanks for getting this started.

I read a bunch of Patricia Moyes books years ago. I got them from the library. I’ve never run into them in a used book store.

Elizabeth, I love Agatha Christie. Her books got me started on mysteries.

message 7: by Gardener0126 (last edited Oct 16, 2017 04:50PM) (new)

Gardener0126 | 171 comments I've been reading the Richard Jury mysteries by Martha Grimes for the past few weeks. They are police procedurals but with a lot of cozy elements. The characters are very interesting, and well thought out, with distinct personalities, and their relationships continue throughout the books. I like the early ones better than the later ones though.

message 8: by MaryJo (new)

MaryJo Dawson | 854 comments Gardener0126 wrote: "I've been reading the Richard Jury mysteries by Martha Grimes for the past few weeks. They are police procedurals but with a lot of cozy elements. The characters are very interesting, and well thou..."

Thank you for the recommendation, Gardener. I have not read anything by Martha Grimes, but you tempt me here.

message 9: by Barb (new)

Barb | 986 comments Gardener0126 wrote: "I like the early ones better than the later ones though."

I find that's often the case with long-running series. It's like the author has run out of plot twists, new situations, character quirks or whatever.
(Hope you all don't mind folks jumping in who weren't part of the Amazon forum!)

message 10: by Gardener0126 (new)

Gardener0126 | 171 comments Barb, i think the more, the merrier! Welcome!

message 11: by MaryJo (new)

MaryJo Dawson | 854 comments Barb, we are hoping for joiners! Thanks for coming.
I agree with Gardener about long-running series, and have found that true in some of Anne Perry's work. Then she seems to get a fresh recharge and a new book will be better.
On the other hand, I've also notice some authors seem to improve as they write more.
Some readers must like the formula approach, it seems.

message 12: by Susan (last edited Oct 17, 2017 10:46AM) (new)

Susan Bernhardt | 161 comments One of my favorite authors, back in the day, was M.C. Beaton. I have about the first 13 books of Agatha Raisin and Hamish MacBeth. I believe she just came out with her 28th Agatha Raisin. I think she's the perfect example of an author who should have quit writing a series when she was at the top of her game, unless these latest mysteries are better. I quit reading her a long time ago.

I don't like to read mysteries or write mysteries that use a formula template. :)

message 13: by Phyllis (new)

Phyllis (bocamp) | 6 comments MaryJo wrote: "This is a thread being set up for a dual purpose. First of all, for sharing favorite reads or reads the contributor wants in-put from others about, books that fit the cozy mystery category, albeit ..."

Thanks for starting this group on goodreads, MaryJo. It will be great to have a new place to talk about books and life with friends again. Hopefully, the old group will be able to find us here too. Barb, we love new contributors so welcome to the group. I'm Bo, and I live in NE TN. Big fans of both MaryJo and Susan's books. Have a great day y'all.

message 14: by Phyllis (new)

Phyllis (bocamp) | 6 comments MaryJo wrote: "Barb, we are hoping for joiners! Thanks for coming.
I agree with Gardener about long-running series, and have found that true in some of Anne Perry's work. Then she seems to get a fresh recharge an..."

I totally agree. I'm a fan of Denise Swanson's Scumble River Series and it had seemed to be getting to be the same old/same old. Her new book, Dead in the Water, though is one of her best in a long time and I highly recommend it.

message 15: by Susan (new)

Susan Bernhardt | 161 comments Phyllis wrote: "MaryJo wrote: "This is a thread being set up for a dual purpose. First of all, for sharing favorite reads or reads the contributor wants in-put from others about, books that fit the cozy mystery ca..."

So happy to see you here, Phyllis and everyone. :)

message 16: by MaryJo (new)

MaryJo Dawson | 854 comments Susan, I've never read Beaton's Agatha Raisin series, because of all of the mixed responses to it. You tempt me to read the early ones.

Everyone having a nice fall? It is gorgeous here right now, altho we don't get the brilliant fall foliage because of most of our trees out here turn a bright yellow. The shrubs provide the orange, and some red.

message 17: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I like Agatha Raisin, but I prefer Hamish Macbeth.

message 18: by Barb (new)

Barb | 986 comments Phyllis wrote: "Thanks for starting this group on goodreads, MaryJo."

Not sure it really matters, but MaryJo didn't start this group, she only started a thread within an existing Goodreads group that's been around for quite some time. I'm sure Heather and Briansgirl, the group mods, would love to have you all join in the other parts of the group as well :)

message 19: by Barb (new)

Barb | 986 comments MaryJo wrote: "I've never read Beaton's Agatha Raisin series, because of all of the mixed responses to it. You tempt me to read the early ones."

I enjoyed the early Agatha Raisin books, but after awhile, her snarky attitude started to annoy me. I still read the series from time to time, but by the time I finish each book, I'm annoyed all over again.

I've heard good things about the Hamish series, but I haven't started it ... yet.

message 20: by Susan (new)

Susan Bernhardt | 161 comments MaryJo wrote: "Susan, I've never read Beaton's Agatha Raisin series, because of all of the mixed responses to it. You tempt me to read the early ones.

Everyone having a nice fall? It is gorgeous here right now, ..."

I think you would enjoy the earlier mysteries, Mary Jo.

message 21: by Susan (new)

Susan Bernhardt | 161 comments Kirsten wrote: "I like Agatha Raisin, but I prefer Hamish Macbeth."

Hamish MacBeth was totally different. Beaton came out with one new book in each series every year. I enjoyed reading about the characters in Hamish MacBeth probably even more than the mystery. :)

Kirsten, have you watched the new Agatha Raisin mysteries on television? It took a while for me to get used to the characters, but now I enjoy the shows. Agatha was totally different looking from the books, so was everyone, James, Charles, etc. from what I pictured, but they grow on you. I'm looking forward to the next season.

message 22: by Gardener0126 (new)

Gardener0126 | 171 comments I agree with Kirsten, I enjoy M. C. Beaton’s books, but I prefer Hamish MacBeth over Agatha Raisin. . In both series, I feel like the characters are sort of stagnant. The stories continually revolve around the same situations, and the main characters always act very predictably.

Another series that I enjoy, but that seems to have the same issue are the Mrs Jeffries books by Emily Brightwell.

message 23: by Susan (last edited Oct 19, 2017 09:39AM) (new)

Susan Bernhardt | 161 comments Gardener0126 wrote: "I agree with Kirsten, I enjoy M. C. Beaton’s books, but I prefer Hamish MacBeth over Agatha Raisin. . In both series, I feel like the characters are sort of stagnant. The stories continually revolv..."

M.C. Beaton has been writing these series too long. Probably the same with Emily Brightwell.

Luckily there are many mystery series out there. I'm a fan of Rhys Bowen, Susan Wittig Albert, Ann Purser, Sue Grafton, Dorothy Gilman, etc. too many to mention. :)

message 24: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I haven't seen it. Disappointed they didn't use the lady who does it on BBC Radio 4, Penelope Keith.

message 25: by Susan (new)

Susan Bernhardt | 161 comments Kirsten wrote: "I haven't seen it. Disappointed they didn't use the lady who does it on BBC Radio 4, Penelope Keith."

Penelope Keith looks more the part.

message 26: by MaryJo (last edited Oct 19, 2017 09:21AM) (new)

MaryJo Dawson | 854 comments Barb wrote: "Phyllis wrote: "Thanks for starting this group on goodreads, MaryJo."

Not sure it really matters, but MaryJo didn't start this group, she only started a thread within an existing Goodreads group t..."

Thanks for the clarification, Barb. You are right, I asked the moderator for permission to open this new discussion group, so that was my hand in the whole thing, merely giving the introduction above, the first comment.
The comments so far have already been informative, and like yourself I hope we'll get more people dropping by with their in-put.

message 27: by Gardener0126 (new)

Gardener0126 | 171 comments One of the Mr and Mrs North series is marked down to $1.99 today. It’s one I haven’t read, or at least It doesn’t sound familiar.
I am not sure how to do book links here, so these links, one to the Goodreads book page and one to Amazon are copied and pasted.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AVTU7AM?...

I enjoy this series just as much for its understated humor, characters and setting, as I do for the mysteries.

message 28: by Barb (new)

Barb | 986 comments To post the Goodreads link, click on the "add book/author" that's right above the comment box, then type the book title into the search box. If it's a common title, it sometimes help to add the author's last name to the title search (it narrows down the choices). If you want to post a link to the title, make sure the radio button next to "link" is selected; choose the one next to cover if you'd rather post the cover instead. Then click on "add" next to the book you want to post. The GR link will post wherever your cursor is resting.

message 29: by Susan (new)

Susan Bernhardt | 161 comments Gardener0126 wrote: "One of the Mr and Mrs North series is marked down to $1.99 today. It’s one I haven’t read, or at least It doesn’t sound familiar.
I am not sure how to do book links here, so these links, one to th..."

Hello Gardener0126. Happy to see you. I was hoping you would be here. :) The mention of Mr. and Mrs. North was a big hint it was you.

message 30: by Gardener0126 (new)

Gardener0126 | 171 comments Thanks Barb I will save your instructions and try that next time. I saw that add book/author box but couldn’t figure out how it worked.

Susan, I must be getting predictable. :) Yes, I am Cindy V.

message 31: by MaryJo (new)

MaryJo Dawson | 854 comments Found out from friend Maria that The Body In The Transept (Dorothy Martin, #1) by Jeanne M. Dams is greatly reduced in price today, so I decided to give this author a try.
Has anyone else read this mystery? It sounds interesting.

Also, went back to get the recipe out of Boiled Over (A Maine Clambake Mystery, #2) by Barbara Ross for blueberry pancakes, which is very good.
Now I do not read any mystery for the recipes, but I enjoyed this series, and this is one recipe I've used.
Made me think perhaps someone else has a recipe they've found in a mystery series they might want to give a good recommendation for.

message 32: by MadameZelda (new)

MadameZelda I'm still wondering how good are the recipes in these cozy books.

One was good; another was horrible.

message 33: by MaryJo (new)

MaryJo Dawson | 854 comments MadameZelda wrote: "I'm still wondering how good are the recipes in these cozy books.

One was good; another was horrible."

Madame,
Could you be more specific? Lots of cozies, lots of recipes!

message 34: by MadameZelda (new)

MadameZelda I was wondering if a particular author's recipes in his/her books are fab. Or if the author is just picking one out of any old cookbook.

message 35: by MaryJo (new)

MaryJo Dawson | 854 comments MadameZelda wrote: "I was wondering if a particular author's recipes in his/her books are fab. Or if the author is just picking one out of any old cookbook."

Now that is a good point! I wonder..... but in the case of Boiled Over, I happen to know that the author used to run a restaurant, and the recipe was used there.

message 36: by Karen (last edited Oct 22, 2017 10:58AM) (new)

Karen (xkamx) | 350 comments MadameZelda wrote: "I was wondering if a particular author's recipes in his/her books are fab. Or if the author is just picking one out of any old cookbook."

I suppose they could be picking out of an old cookbook, but that would be plagiarism. I believe the authors have to use their own recipes (or those developed for them for the books). Most, if not all, printed recipes have a copyright to them. For example, if the recipe offered for Grandma's Chocolate Chip cookies is one found in the 1928 edition of the Good Housekeeping Cookbook, they can't print it without permission or without providing actual authorship (and payment??). Though, I don't know when, if ever, recipes fall into public domain.

I think that's why you sometimes see names associated with certain recipes. For example, Joanne Fluke notes when she uses a recipe not of her creation, often naming a "resident" of Lake Eden or one of Lisa relatives or a friend of a relative, etc. by name. I believe the person named developed the recipe and that's her way of abiding by the copyright laws. That is, the author is credited (and may have gotten some sort of payment??) for the use of the recipe.

message 37: by Gardener0126 (new)

Gardener0126 | 171 comments Actually recipe copyrights are sort of ambiguous. A list of ingredients cannot be copyrighted. Photos and descriptions and sometimes the wording of methods and the methods themselves can be. However a person could legally use someone else’s recipe. As long as they dont blatantly copy the exact words that the original author used, chances are good that there will be no legal repercussions. Taking someone else’s recipe and re-writing it might not be exactly ethical, but it’s rarely illegal.

message 38: by Karen (new)

Karen (xkamx) | 350 comments Gardener0126 wrote: "Actually recipe copyrights are sort of ambiguous. A list of ingredients cannot be copyrighted. Photos and descriptions and sometimes the wording of methods and the methods themselves can be."

Thanks for the clarification!

message 39: by MaryJo (new)

MaryJo Dawson | 854 comments The info on copyright laws and recipes is interesting. I guess sharing an old family favorite off of an index card in my mom's old recipe box would be pretty safe. Authors do have to be careful, obviously. It is only right to give credit where credit is due, even if it is a friend or family member - just like those church and charity cookbooks do.

message 40: by MaryJo (new)

MaryJo Dawson | 854 comments When Death on the Aisle by Jamie L. Kaplan , a Mr. and Mrs. North mystery, was on sale for $1.99, I download it, and have gotten to it this week. No recipes here, but plenty of mixing of the martinis when you read one of these! They are enjoyable whodunits, though, great light reads. The Mr. and Mrs. North series mysteries by the Lockridge team are on sale periodically, and I recommend them if you like this sort of read.

This is the time of year when there are recommendations in the paranormal and ghoulish cozies - that seems like a bit of a contradiction to me. These aren't my preference, but I will recommend Susan Bernhardt's first Kay Driscoll mystery, because Halloween is the time of year, but the story itself is a cozy. The Ginseng Conspiracy A Kay Driscoll Mystery by Susan Bernhardt

message 42: by Karen (new)

Karen (xkamx) | 350 comments MaryJo wrote: "Mr. and Mrs. North mystery..."

I used to watch episodes of this series on TV. Every once in a while a "retro" station shows it and the Thin Man TV series. If I remember, neither was that good. The Thin Man paled in comparison to the movies... There's no one like William Powell and Myrna Loy!

Don't know how the M&M N books are, but will give them a look.

If you're interested, some of the Mr. and Mrs. North episodes can be found on YouTube.

message 43: by Gardener0126 (new)

Gardener0126 | 171 comments Karen, I only saw one of the Mr and Mrs North tv shows and didn’t care much for it. I really like the books, however. Still, they are a bit of an acquired taste.

message 44: by MaryJo (new)

MaryJo Dawson | 854 comments Gardener0126 wrote: "MaryJo, did you mean Death on the Aisle

https://www.amazon.com/Death-Aisle-Mr......"

Yes, I did, and thank you for the correction, Gardener. I was in a hurry and didn't get the link properly. My apologies for the confusion.

message 45: by MaryJo (new)

MaryJo Dawson | 854 comments Karen wrote: "MaryJo wrote: "Mr. and Mrs. North mystery..."

I used to watch episodes of this series on TV. Every once in a while a "retro" station shows it and the Thin Man TV series. If I remember, neither wa..."

the Mr. and Mrs. North book I'm currently reading has quite a history at the beginning of the authors, how the series came to be, and radio show, and the television shows that were presented subsequently, how successful they were, etc. It was quite interesting.
I have watched a few of the North mysteries from the 50's, and thought they were okay.
We really enjoyed The Thin Man movies with William Powell and Myrna Loy, largely due to the excellent casting of Powell and Loy as the main characters.

message 46: by MaryJo (new)

MaryJo Dawson | 854 comments Murder in Mayfair (Atlas Catesby #1) by D.M. Quincy , the first Atlas Catesby
mystery, is greatly reduced in price, currently $1.99 for e-book.
I'll give it a try.
Anyone else read it? The reviews are very good.

message 47: by Beverly (new)

Beverly (bjbixlerhotmailcom) | 2336 comments I am another one who loved the Thin Man movies! I have seen all of them 2 or 3 times.

message 48: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I have seen them over and over and over! My favorites are the first 2!

message 49: by MaryJo (new)

MaryJo Dawson | 854 comments Kirsten wrote: "I have seen them over and over and over! My favorites are the first 2!"

Those are also my favorites. It was fascinating to see Jimmy Stewart, though, in one of his early roles, and the type of character he portrayed.

message 50: by Gardener0126 (new)

Gardener0126 | 171 comments Well, it looks like I am going to have to hunt up the Thin Man movies!

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10