Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

2018 Plans > Ugnė's 2018 Plan!

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ugnė (last edited Nov 01, 2017 04:59AM) (new)

Ugnė This is my first time participating in any kind of book challenge! I'm a bit nervous, because I'm not that type of person who reads very quickly. It will probably be kinda challenging to read one book every week, especially since I'll have my exams this Spring. But nonetheless I'm still super excited to create my reading plan for 2018 and at least try my best!
I'm also from Lithuania and I don't really have the possibility to read English books right now (I will be ordering a couple from BookDepository during the year), so most of my books are translated in Lithuanian. So, if anyone cares (this post is mostly for myself, but maybe some people will be curious), some books might look that they don't fit for a topic, but they do, because the Lithuanian titles and book covers are different from UK or USA books, so just bear with me. There are only a couple of them though! I hope this isn't cheating or something.
I'm giving myself lots of options, because I'll try to read in order, so I need to have a variety to choose from.
So, let's go to my list!

1. A book with the letters A, T & Y in the title
365 PRIEŽASTYS MYLĖTI by Mantvydas Leknickas Immortal Beloved (Immortal Beloved, #1) by Cate Tiernan (this is one of them! Promise that it has y letter in Lithuanian title)

2. A book from the first 10 books added to your To Be Read list
The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1) by Suzanne Collins Anna and the French Kiss (Anna and the French Kiss, #1) by Stephanie Perkins Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon

3. A book from the 2017 Goodreads Choice Awards

4. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #1 Earth (in title, cover, content, setting, author...)
A Wizard of Earthsea (Earthsea Cycle, #1) by Ursula K. Le Guin What a Wonderful World One Man's Attempt to Explain the Big Stuff by Marcus Chown The Clan of the Cave Bear (Earth's Children, #1) by Jean M. Auel

5. A book about or inspired by real events
The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank I Am Malala The Story of the Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the Taliban by Malala Yousafzai The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls John by Cynthia Lennon

6. A book originally written in a language other than English
Roneta by Vytautas Ažušilis FUTU.RE by Dmitry Glukhovsky Gertrūda grafinis Y kartos dienoraštis by Gerda Jord The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium, #1) by Stieg Larsson

7. A gothic novel
Dracula by Bram Stoker Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde Perfume The Story of a Murderer by Patrick Süskind The Magic Toyshop by Angela Carter

8. An "own voices" book*
The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas To All the Boys I've Loved Before (To All the Boys I've Loved Before, #1) by Jenny Han Purple Hibiscus by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath The Sun Is Also a Star by Nicola Yoon Furiously Happy A Funny Book About Horrible Things by Jenny Lawson

9. A book with a body part in the title (heart, bones, teeth, skin, blood, etc)
As Red as Blood (Lumikki Andersson #1) by Salla Simukka My Heart and Other Black Holes by Jasmine Warga The Brain The Story of You by David Eagleman

10. An author's debut book (their first book to be published)
The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins The Girls by Emma Cline The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

11. A literary fiction
Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov

12. A book set in Africa or South America
Half of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Purple Hibiscus by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Desert Flower by Waris Dirie Out of Africa by Isak Dinesen

13. A book with a plot centered around a secret (forbidden love, spies, secret societies, etc)
Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn Brave New World by Aldous Huxley

14. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #2 Fire
Ugnies ir ledo kelionės by Rita Šemelytė A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, #1) by George R.R. Martin Brain on Fire My Month of Madness by Susannah Cahalan

15. A book with an unique format/writing structure
Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell The Lover's Dictionary by David Levithan

16. A narrative nonfiction
Behind the Beautiful Forevers Life, Death, and Hope in a Mumbai Undercity by Katherine Boo Unbroken A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption by Laura Hillenbrand Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer Stiff The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers by Mary Roach Quiet The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain

17. A book you expect to make you laugh
The Martian by Andy Weir Good Omens The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch by Terry Pratchett The Colour of Magic (Discworld, #1) by Terry Pratchett

18. A book with a location in the title
The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern Jurassic Park (Jurassic Park, #1) by Michael Crichton Vietnamas, Singapūras, Balio sala. Magiškoji Pietryčių Azija by Violeta Domkuvienė Pietų Amerika. Metai su kuprine Naujojo pasaulio keliais by Žydronė Lukšytė Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (Charlie Bucket, #1) by Roald Dahl

19. A book nominated for the Edgar Award or by a Grand master author
Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn Deal Breaker (Myron Bolitar #1) by Harlan Coben

20. A book rated 5 stars by at least one of your friends
Matilda by Roald Dahl The Girl with All the Gifts by M.R. Carey Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel

21. A book written in first person perspective
The Sea of Tranquility by Katja Millay To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

22. A book you have high expectations or hope for
The Book Thief by Markus Zusak The Tales of Beedle the Bard by J.K. Rowling

23. A medical or legal thriller
The Surgeon (Rizzoli & Isles, #1) by Tess Gerritsen

24. A book with a map
The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien Eragon (The Inheritance Cycle, #1) by Christopher Paolini

25. A book with an antagonist/villain point of view
Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk Red Dragon (Hannibal Lecter, #1) by Thomas Harris

26. A book with a text only cover
Cut by Patricia McCormick Be pavadinimo by Elvyra Kučinskaitė The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium, #1) by Stieg Larsson

27. A book about surviving a hardship (war, famine, major disasters, serious illness, etc)
War's Unwomanly Face by Svetlana Alexievich World War Z An Oral History of the Zombie War by Max Brooks Unbroken A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption by Laura Hillenbrand A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini

28. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #3 Water
Jaws by Peter Benchley The Lake by Banana Yoshimoto

29. A book with a "Clue" weapon on the cover or title (lead pipe, revolver, rope, candlestick, dagger, wrench)
The Unwomanly Face of War An Oral History of Women in World War II by Svetlana Alexievich I Am Legend by Richard Matheson the movie cover in my country has a weapon

30. A short book
Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor E. Frankl Transforming the Mind Teachings on Generating Compassion by Dalai Lama XIV Roadside Picnic by Arkady Strugatsky

31. A book set in a country you'd like to visit but have never been to
The Dinner by Herman Koch Along for the Ride by Sarah Dessen A Tale for the Time Being by Ruth Ozeki Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami

32. An alternate history book
Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro 1Q84 by Haruki Murakami World War Z An Oral History of the Zombie War by Max Brooks

33. A book connected (title, cover, content) to a word "born" in the same year as you
Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell Gravity by Tess Gerritsen The Psychopath Test A Journey Through the Madness Industry by Jon Ronson

34. A suggestion from the AtY 2018 polls, that didn't win but was polarizing or a close-call (a book with a mental illness
A Road Back from Schizophrenia A Memoir by Arnhild Lauveng The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky All the Bright Places by Jennifer Niven

35. A book featuring a murder
The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie

36. A book published in the last 3 years (2016, 2017, 2018) by an author you haven't read before
The Things You Can See Only When You Slow Down Guidance on the Path to Mindfulness from a Spiritual Leader by Haemin Sunim Be pavadinimo by Elvyra Kučinskaitė It Ends with Us by Colleen Hoover Quicksand by Malin Persson Giolito The Nowhere Girls by Amy Reed

37. A Women's Prize for Fiction winner or nominee
Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel We Need to Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver

38. A science book or a science fiction book
Ender's Game (Ender's Saga, #1) by Orson Scott Card Childhood's End by Arthur C. Clarke The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet (Wayfarers, #1) by Becky Chambers Ready Player One by Ernest Cline

39. A book with a form of punctuation in the title
Oh, boy ! by Marie-Aude Murail The Power of Habit Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business by Charles Duhigg Long Way Round Chasing Shadows Across the World by Ewan McGregor

40. A book from Amazon's 100 Books to Read in a Lifetime list
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee The Fellowship of the Ring (The Lord of the Rings, #1) by J.R.R. Tolkien The Book Thief by Markus Zusak 1984 by George Orwell Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut Jr. Great Expectations by Charles Dickens

41. A book by an author with the same first and last initials
Frida A Biography of Frida Kahlo by Hayden Herrera Out Stealing Horses by Per Petterson

42. A book that takes place on, in, or underwater
The Long Ships by Frans G. Bengtsson Life of Pi by Yann Martel A Wizard of Earthsea (Earthsea Cycle, #1) by Ursula K. Le Guin

43. A book with a title that is a whole sentence
Happy People Read and Drink Coffee by Agnès Martin-Lugand Dviračiu aplink pasaulį by Edvardas Žižys Iter vitae arba gyvenimo kelionė aplink pasaulį by Evelina Savickaitė

44. A ghost story
Slade House by David Mitchell The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman Graveyard Shift, and Other Stories from Night Shift by Stephen King

45. A book that intimidates/ scares you
A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, #1) by George R.R. Martin All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr Jo confesso by Jaume Cabré

46. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #4 Air
When Breath Becomes Air by Paul Kalanithi Into Thin Air A Personal Account of the Mount Everest Disaster by Jon Krakauer Miracle in the Andes by Nando Parrado

47. A book where the main character (or author) is of a different ethnic origin, religion, or sexual identity than your own
The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini Sold by Patricia McCormick Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli The Woman in the Dunes by Kōbō Abe Desert Flower by Waris Dirie The Tea Girl of Hummingbird Lane by Lisa See

48. A book related to one of the 7 deadly sins (pride, greed, lust, envy, gluttony, wrath, sloth)
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen The Silence of the Lambs (Hannibal Lecter, #2) by Thomas Harris The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

49. A book from one of the Goodreads Best Books of the Month lists
The Passage (The Passage, #1) by Justin Cronin The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern Wild From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed

50. A book with a warm atmosphere (centered on family, friendship, love or summer)
Along for the Ride by Sarah Dessen Let's Get Lost by Adi Alsaid Matilda by Roald Dahl Amy & Roger's Epic Detour by Morgan Matson Second Chance Summer by Morgan Matson

51. An award-winning short story or short story collection
The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury The Tales of Beedle the Bard by J.K. Rowling Let it Snow by John Green

52. A book published in 2018

message 2: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) | 2568 comments For #42, here are 3 suggestions: Life of Pi, A Wizard of Earthsea, and The Voyage of the Narwhal. I haven't read Narwhal but I really like the author Andrea Barrett so that's the one I'm reading.

message 3: by Ugnė (new)

Ugnė Pam wrote: "For #42, here are 3 suggestions: Life of Pi, A Wizard of Earthsea, and The Voyage of the Narwhal. I haven't read Narwhal but I really like the author [author:..."

Thank you so much for the suggestion! I already have put A Wizard of EarthSea for one challenge, but I will still include, if I won't end up reading there. Sadly, Andrea Barrett's books aren't translated in Lithuanian, but how I could forget Life of Pi! thank you! (:

message 4: by Ugnė (new)

Ugnė 0/52 Completed

1. A book with the letters A, T & Y in the title
2. A book from the first 10 books added to your To Be Read list
3. A book from the 2017 Goodreads Choice Awards
4. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #1 Earth (in title, cover, content, setting, author...)
5. A book about or inspired by real events
6. A book originally written in a language other than English
7. A gothic novel
8. An "own voices" book*
9. A book with a body part in the title (heart, bones, teeth, skin, blood, etc)
10. An author's debut book (their first book to be published)
11. A literary fiction
12. A book set in Africa or South America
13. A book with a plot centered around a secret (forbidden love, spies, secret societies, etc)
14. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #2 Fire
15. A book with an unique format/writing structure
16. A narrative nonfiction
17. A book you expect to make you laugh
18. A book with a location in the title
19. A book nominated for the Edgar Award or by a Grand master author (books & authors)
20. A book rated 5 stars by at least one of your friends
21. A book written in first person perspective
22. A book you have high expectations or hope for
23. A medical or legal thriller
24. A book with a map
25. A book with an antagonist/villain point of view
26. A book with a text only cover
27. A book about surviving a hardship (war, famine, major disasters, serious illness, etc)
28. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #3 Water
29. A book with a "Clue" weapon on the cover or title (lead pipe, revolver, rope, candlestick, dagger, wrench)
30. A short book
31. A book set in a country you'd like to visit but have never been to
32. An alternate history book
33. A book connected (title, cover, content) to a word "born" in the same year as you
34. A suggestion from the AtY 2018 polls, that didn't win but was polarizing or a close-call (link)
35. A book featuring a murder
36. A book published in the last 3 years (2016, 2017, 2018) by an author you haven't read before
37. A Women's Prize for Fiction winner or nominee
38. A science book or a science fiction book
39. A book with a form of punctuation in the title
40. A book from Amazon's 100 Books to Read in a Lifetime list
41. A book by an author with the same first and last initials
42. A book that takes place on, in, or underwater
43. A book with a title that is a whole sentence
44. A ghost story
45. A book that intimidates/ scares you
46. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #4 Air
47. A book where the main character (or author) is of a different ethnic origin, religion, or sexual identity than your own
48. A book related to one of the 7 deadly sins (pride, greed, lust, envy, gluttony, wrath, sloth)
49. A book from one of the Goodreads Best Books of the Month lists
50. A book with a warm atmosphere (centered on family, friendship, love or summer)
51. An award-winning short story or short story collection
52. A book published in 2018

message 5: by Zaz (new)

Zaz | 3034 comments No problem in using books in your own language, with the translated title, other cover edition, etc ;)

You have a great selection for the moment, you should have fun in 2018!

message 6: by Ugnė (new)

Ugnė Zaz wrote: "No problem in using books in your own language, with the translated title, other cover edition, etc ;)

You have a great selection for the moment, you should have fun in 2018!"

That's great, I was worrying about it! Thank you, I hope so too! (: