What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > YA Fiction to do with teenage girl growing up, popularity and uncle abuse (spoilers).

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kate (new)

Kate | 3 comments Hi,

I read this book waaaaaay back when I was younger, can remember that the book title was possibly one word? Like smash/leave/awake or something like that.

The story was about a female main character who fell in love with a teenage boy named Zac/zack/Zach who skateboarded, but she did something at school that made her unpopular.
Her friend and her go to a house party, she walks in to find her friend having sex with a 'gorilla' of a boy on the ground.

Something else happens and she becomes a bit of an outcast, her uncle comes to town, he has red hair and freckles, offers to take her to the lake house for the weekend to relax.

Get to the lake house, he puts sunscreen on her back then tries to molest her, she kicks him off and hitchhikes back to town. Tells her parents and the kick him out.

Her dad and her do some sort of talent show at the end?

I've literally been looking for this book for over 10 years so if anyone knows what it's called, I will start crying 😂😂

Thankyou all very much for your time xxxx

message 2: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 4839 comments Do you remember the cover?
Part of a series?
Time period/location story takes place?

message 3: by Kate (new)

Kate | 3 comments Tab wrote: "Do you remember the cover?
Part of a series?
Time period/location story takes place?"

Hi,

I remember the cover had some sort of shattered glass on it, possibly with a girl on it also??

Not part of a series, it finished as a completed story just in the book I read.

I read it when I was in school between 2007-2009??
Definitely set in recent times, early 2000's, maybe even around the time I picked it up. It felt new when I rented it out.

Hope that helps,

Thankyou xxx

message 4: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (beccaelf) | 66 comments Is it possible it's something by VC Andrews? The themes you describe above happen a lot in her books (humiliation at school; molesting by a relative).

If I had to narrow it down; it'd be April Shadows (Shadows, #1) by V.C. Andrews .. Girl has an uncle who is a travelling magician and she goes on tour with him..he has a ventriloquist dummy....whom he has an inappropriate relationship with. That came out in 2005...

There were two books in the series though; but if I remember correctly; the first one ended pretty conclusively and could have been left as it was.

message 5: by Kate (new)

Kate | 3 comments No sorry, that doesn't look like it! It was set in really current times, normal household kind of setting, no travelling magicians! Thankyou so much for your help though Rebecca!

Xxx

message 6: by Hilary (new)

Hilary Campbell (hilf) | 1 comments It’s Losing It by Lizzie Wilcock

message 7: by Rosa (new)

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 4974 comments Losing It for the link.