World, Writing, Wealth discussion

World & Current Events > The latest Kurdish news

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by J.J. (new)

J.J. Mainor | 2146 comments Since we've been talking about the Kurds a lot lately, I thought this might be worth noting. Seems the Iraqi forces have muscled into Kirkuk and driven the Kurdish forces from some installations. I suppose good for the Kurds for not giving them a fight, but could this be the start of one when the Kurds decide they won't accept anything short of full independence?

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-...

message 2: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Williams (houseofwilliams) Could be. And in this respect, it would be just the latest in a long-line of consequences touched off by the invasion of Iraq in 2003. If there was one group that did not look unfavorably on the ouster of Saddam, it was the northern Kurds who got their long-awaited taste of independence. And the way the state of Iraq has become fractured from the invasion of ISIS could prove to be a strong indication that the Kurdistan does not need the aid or support of a unified Iraqi state.

However, if the Iraqi army should prove effective and the Kurds come to rely on them to remove ISIS from northern Iraq, it could go a long way towards cementing the new state.

message 3: by Ian (new)

Ian Miller | 9520 comments Neither Turkey nor Iran can afford a Kurdistan starting in Iraq so the US removal of Saddam will have a lot of consequences, none of which we can foresee. The Kurds taking Kirkuk was purely opportunistic and the city contained a lot of other races, so anything can happen. The real point of interest is how will the West meddle in what ensues?

message 4: by J.J. (new)

J.J. Mainor | 2146 comments From what I gather, our official policy is still a united Iraq. It seems the Kurds are still falling back as the Iraqi forces move on, so at least they don't seem interested in a Civil War. Maybe this will be one issue that can be resolved peacefully over there.