Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Den of Wolves (Blackthorn & Grim, #3)
This topic is about Den of Wolves
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Den of Wolves [Apr 17, 2018]

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 8082 comments Mod
April 17, 2018

message 2: by Zaara (new) - added it

Zaara | 4143 comments Is anybody reading this with me to see how Mathuin goes to hell? Or did everyone drop the series? I know Sha DNF'd.
@Mayim? @Dianaaaaaaa?

Em Lost In Books (emlostinbooks) | 2317 comments Hey Zaara!

I will start next week.

message 4: by Zaara (new) - added it

Zaara | 4143 comments :-) sure. I'm starting moro or I will never finish Way of Kings and Malaz before Riyria.

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3908 comments I'm still in it to win it. I'm very behind though. I had a buddy read scheduled for the 13th and another 4 for the 15th so I'm still trying to get through those. This weekend I'll be off the radar at JordanCon so I'll probably start this one next week.

message 6: by Zaara (new) - added it

Zaara | 4143 comments All the best. Hope the costumes came out great.

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3908 comments Zaara wrote: "All the best. Hope the costumes came out great."

They did! I can't wait. Just. So. Excited! Is it Friday yet??

Tammie | 3882 comments I plan on reading it, but I'm also behind on my buddy reads. I probably won't get to it until next week.

message 9: by Zaara (new) - added it

Zaara | 4143 comments Thru Chapter 10. Strong start. Love the idea of a heartwood house 😊

SPOILERS THRU CHAPTER 10

Blackthorn (view spoiler)

The first Blackthorn POV chapter was basically a recap. Skimmed.

B&G relationship (view spoiler)

Cara/Bardan track: interesting so far. I have a THEORY ABOUT PLOT OF ENTIRE BOOK: (view spoiler)

Can’t wait for you guys to start this…also Conmael’s (view spoiler)

I dunno how this book is gonna span the rest of the seven years and give us a satisfying end to the Mathuin track. Also NB that weird scene in Book 2 SPOILER (view spoiler)

RANT: If there’s poetic justice for Mathuin with Blackthorn growing as a char by learning that “revenge is not the best way” I’m gonna be so unsatisfied. Bcuz I want that MoFo to get it…I dunno why…he’s almost a cardboard villain so far…we’ve all seen much worse…ahem, I mean BETTER megavillains. But I feel Marillier is particularly good at inciting (in the reader) protectiveness for her protags and HATE against her villains…

Also bcuz #Oonagh

CAN'T WAIT TILL YOU GUYS START ON MOMDAY....and yea...sorry for the caps...

message 10: by Zaara (new) - added it

Zaara | 4143 comments SPOILERS THRU CH 20 MOSTLY ABT B&G RELATIONSHIP
(view spoiler)

This one's now becoming all abt B&G for me and mostly bcuz of Grim. There's just no scope for growth left for Miz Already Perfect in all the Ways Xept Slightly Grumpy Blackthorn.
When I started I was all abt Mathuin. Heh! I swear, I'm not even caring much about the "puzzle/mystery" track altho' END OF CH 18 (view spoiler)

Mayim de Vries | 2864 comments Sorry, I am running late behind my schedule. But I hope to eventually get here this month. At some point.

message 12: by Zaara (new) - added it

Zaara | 4143 comments Mayim wrote: "Sorry, I am running late behind my schedule. But I hope to eventually get here this month. At some point."

I swear. I swear, woman....I was just thinking of you...left a post on your personal thread...

Mayim de Vries | 2864 comments Great minds think alike! (my grandmother used to say) :D

message 14: by Zaara (last edited Apr 20, 2018 10:20PM) (new) - added it

Zaara | 4143 comments Mayim wrote: "Great minds think alike! (my grandmother used to say) :D"

Grandmas are always right!

@all...almost done. Last few chapters. Won't be coming bk to make a separate finishing post (this is it) but shall stop by once the conversation gets going.

Guess about ending/do not open (view spoiler)

NO SPOILERS but a bit of a BUZZKILL note on narration so I'm discreetly tagging it.

Now normally I'm never this fast a reader but (view spoiler)

EDIT TO ADD: Cara's changes END DISCUSSION POINT (view spoiler)

Tammie | 3882 comments I was able to start this sooner than I thought. I started last night and I just got to chapter 5. (view spoiler)

message 16: by Zaara (new) - added it

Zaara | 4143 comments Yay Tammie! The house and its story are a cute concept...liked that.

Mayim de Vries | 2864 comments Starting tonight/tomorrow.

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3908 comments I'm super late in my reading since weekend activities totally took over. I am hoping to start as soon as i finish my current read. So tonight or tomorrow.

Tammie | 3882 comments I'm halfway through, somewhere around page 215. So far I think I like this book the best out of the three. (view spoiler)

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3908 comments Zaara wrote: "Thru Chapter 10. Strong start. Love the idea of a heartwood house 😊

SPOILERS THRU CHAPTER 10

Blackthorn [spoilers removed]

The first Blackthorn POV chapter was basically a recap. Skimmed.

B&G r..."

I'm about 25% through so I'm starting to open spoilers and about Cara/Barden, I had the same thoughts.

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3908 comments I'm about half way. Ok, unbelievable moment. (view spoiler)

Em Lost In Books (emlostinbooks) | 2317 comments at 73% and this is awfully predictable. :/

(view spoiler)

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3908 comments I finished last night. I have a list of things I liked and didn't like.

(view spoiler)

I felt like you REALLY had to stretch your level of belief to make this whole book work.

Tammie | 3882 comments I finished yesterday as well. I agree with all of your points Diana. I still enjoyed it a lot though.

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3908 comments Me too. Still gave it 4 stars. I like this series much more than Sevenwaters.

message 26: by Zaara (new) - added it

Zaara | 4143 comments Opening all your spoilers. I'd have given it a 3 but only formthe B&G track.the Cara/Bardan track pulled it down for me, but happy Tammie and Diana liked it better than I did.

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3908 comments Zaara wrote: "Opening all your spoilers. I'd have given it a 3 but only formthe B&G track.the Cara/Bardan track pulled it down for me, but happy Tammie and Diana liked it better than I did."

Yeah, I officially gave it 3.5 stars, but the B&G relationship made me round up.

message 28: by Zaara (last edited Apr 29, 2018 12:00AM) (new) - added it

Zaara | 4143 comments Manju wrote: "at 73% and this is awfully predictable. :/."

These are excellent points, @Manu.
Still B&G are easily forgiven (for me, at least) but Aaaaaargh the Bardan chapters were almost ALL interchangeable.
Also, heh at Mathuin and (view spoiler)

@Diana....noooooo, that's terribly foreboding news for Sweaters!! Btw cute profile pic...went and had a look in detail at the costumes...your hairdo....
....but now its gone again 0.O WHY??
Also, laughed out loud at your "baby" analysis inside the spoiler. Yah. Gaping plot hole right there, JM.

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3908 comments Thanks :-) I changed the pic back last night. It was too hard for me to pick out my posts among everyone else's. I need the bright blue to spot mine easily. :-)

Mayim de Vries | 2864 comments I think I have saturated myself with Marillier so much that I will probably not touch her book for next 10 years.

This one was dreary, just dreary.

The pros:

- the mystery was interesting if simple (view spoiler)

- Conmael's story

The cons:

- Blackthorn - she started as such an interesting character. Prickly. worn out but not defeated. Uncompromising. Obviously, she went through a character development but the detriment of the original idea. In this part, we have been repeatedly told how is she not: nice, polite, feely, and so on, whereas all the actions were to the contrary. That killed her for me.

- romance - didn't feel it, not a spark, no heat, overall meh

- the Mathuin motif - it felt SO flat for me in the end

I agree with Zaara that the books could be trimmed a bit and wouldn't lose anything.

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3908 comments Mayim wrote: "I think I have saturated myself with Marillier so much that I will probably not touch her book for next 10 years.

This one was dreary, just dreary.

The pros:

- the mystery was interesting if ..."

I agree with everything you said, to add that this will probably be my last Marillier book ever. I don't like her writing style, her "ideas" (which are basically the same idea with minor tweeks), her characters, or basically anything about her books. Not sure how I managed to read 10! of these suckers and still survive to talk about it.

Mayim de Vries | 2864 comments I know why I had her on my radar: I like romantasy and an insane number of her books featured on various the best of lists. Having read them all I just don't understand how come they were listed there (and so high!).

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3908 comments I love romantasy, but I also like 3 dimensional characters. B&G was an ok series, but mostly that's in comparison to Sevenwaters, which I just didn't like at all.