Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Tower of Thorns (Blackthorn & Grim, #2)
This topic is about Tower of Thorns
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Tower of Thorns [Mar 17, 2018]

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 8082 comments Mod
March 17, 2018

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3908 comments I accidentally started this one early since I mixed up the dates on some buddy reads. So I'll just talk to myself until someone else joins me.

Why does Marillier love the plot lines where characters are keeping secrets from each other? I really like Blackthorn but I hate that she keeps so much from Grim.

message 3: by Em Lost In Books (last edited Mar 13, 2018 08:48AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Em Lost In Books (emlostinbooks) | 2334 comments I too started early. In chapter 3. Looks like we'll again get a magical tale.

@Diana: secrets makes stories interesting in my opinion.

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3908 comments Manju wrote: "I too started early. In chapter 3. Looks like we'll again get a magical tale.

@Diana: secrets makes stories interesting in my opinion."

It's the miscommunication. I'm on chapter 12 (about 20% in) and I feel like shit is going to go down cuz Blackthorn is now not telling Grim her ulterior motives for things. I kind of hoped that their relationship progressed to the point where there would be more trust. It's one thing not to tell your full history, but this is purposefully deceiving. I think I just have a super soft spot for Grim and a super dislike of miscommunication driven plots.

message 5: by Zaara (last edited Mar 18, 2018 04:36AM) (new) - added it

Zaara | 4194 comments 💃 started...about 9 chapters in already. I'm liking this much more than the first one. Let's hope the feeling lasts. So used to second books in trilogies being wobbly and woffly, no?
At first the recapping was tiresome (having read book 1 just now) but I can understand how she did this for returning readers/so the novel can stand on its own.
Oddly in Book 1, the B&G track (I found) more compelling than Oran and Flidais but here the 33% mark
(view spoiler)

Oh and @Diana, I agree. Grim = 😘

Where have you both reached? Are the three of us the only ones reading? Silvana? Sha?
Post some spoilers when you can, please. I know I'm greedy.
😁

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1769 comments I will be late, still reading my current book. Maybe can start the day after tomorrow.

message 7: by Zaara (new) - added it

Zaara | 4194 comments Cool, @Silvana. Start when comfortable. We will all be here.
45% in and these are my
Current doubts and suspicions

Ok @all the Lady Geleis is seriously funking with my head. Her sudden changes of manner and persona are nothing short of psychotic. CHAPTERS 11-14 journey to Bann (view spoiler)
Which one is she, really? Is she possessed by some evil? Is the curse on HER and not on the monster? It's heartrending when the monster wails, the way its described and animals and children in pain...
:-O wait wait...is Gelais the monster?
N what abt the dusk and dawn?
Gotta find out....
//ecstatic but very impatient writhing, Sha style

Meanwhile...someone ate my packed lunch with the toasted walnuts and beautiful honey mustard dressing but is ok she's distressed n having a bast@rd divorce n all so mebbe she didn't notice?
Soooo rushed replacement lunch was a yucky plain drowning in mayo tomato and lettuce samdwich.
*more writhing...but not so ecstatic*
Sorry for the cribbing.
I'm being petty, I know.
Still...third time in ten days...getting a bit tired of her helping herself "in distress" + now me hungrrryyyy :-(
Mebbe I should just ask her very gently if I shall bring xtras next time?
What if she is offended?
Am I being a cheap thundercûnt?
Hate being stingy with food. There's always scads of ppl at my house come many weekends and occasions + love cooking for ppl + there is always more food...
One day she must realise and feel bad abt what she did, no?
The day'll come.
I can wait.
Also I remembered I have an orange in my bag so I'm sorted. Sorry for the totally random stream of consciousness post. I just keep typing #eejit

Mayim de Vries | 2892 comments Diana Stormblessed wrote: "Manju wrote: "I too started early. In chapter 3. Looks like we'll again get a magical tale.

It's the miscommunication. I'm on chapter 12 ..."

Same concerns. Also the fact that it is reciprocal doesn't really make sense. (view spoiler)

I have reached chapter 21 as of now. I like this one less I think because the whole personal vendetta of Blackthorn bores me to death especially that one can see through the scholar's ruse quite easily and you just know from the start that before Conmael's seven years is up all attempts at justice will be futile and end badly.

Grim's personal trauma turned out to be one fat meh. I had hopes for an interesting story behind the grim (lol) facade, but this kind of PTSD doesn't appeal to me in the slightest.

All in all, only the Lady G intrigue keeps me on my toes.

Zaara I wish I could teleport my baguette to you. :D

Mayim de Vries | 2892 comments I have finished. I liked the bittersweet ending, but I have to say one thing: for all her self-professed astuteness, Blackthorn is SO dense.

message 10: by Sha (new) - added it

Sha | 1522 comments Starting~

message 11: by Diana Stormblessed (last edited Mar 20, 2018 06:40AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3908 comments Mayim wrote: "Diana Stormblessed wrote: "Manju wrote: "I too started early. In chapter 3. Looks like we'll again get a magical tale.

It's the miscommun..."

I finished yesterday. Re: Grim's history (view spoiler)

Overall I found this one a bit slow. I def liked the first one better. Finding out more about Grim actually makes me love him less. (view spoiler)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1769 comments Chapter 3 - that ending made me groan. I want to know what's next! 😆

Feels good to be back in this world. I did not remember that they actually had monks and Christianity too. So, kind of like alt history too?

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3908 comments Silvana wrote: "Chapter 3 - that ending made me groan. I want to know what's next! 😆

Feels good to be back in this world. I did not remember that they actually had monks and Christianity too. So, kind of like alt..."

Christian monks overlapped pagans I believe. So still based on real history ;-)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1769 comments I see, thanks, Diana!

I am at... Forgot which chapter, maybe 9. Sulky Blackthorn and her Repetitive inner thoughts is so annoying.

So we have another dog in the story, let's hope nothing happens to it....

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1769 comments chapter 31
ok I have to admit I kind of skimming all Blackthorn and Grim chapters since nothing really happened there and so many repetitions with BT thinking about her revenge and Grim thinking about equally uninteresting stuff. Agree with Mayim that his past wah rather meh.

Geleis is the only POV keeping me from lemming this book.

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1769 comments And seriously they talked about the translation for like, five chapters now, yet still unfinished. This deliberate drag frustrated me.

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3908 comments Silvana wrote: "chapter 31
ok I have to admit I kind of skimming all Blackthorn and Grim chapters since nothing really happened there and so many repetitions with BT thinking about her revenge and Grim thinking ab..."

Geleis pov actually annoyed me the most. I thought her chapters were repetitive. Ok, so were Blackthorn and Grim's. The whole book was just repeating the same thing over and over. Book 1 was def better imo.

Mayim de Vries | 2892 comments But you still gave it 4 stars :D I think I will settle for 3.

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1769 comments chapter 40
holy crap that ending. I knew it was too easy. four chapters to go.

I think I liked Geleis chapters because of the tale and also because she was basically mental haha

Mayim de Vries | 2892 comments I liked the contrast in her. She invited Blackthorn because she needed help but she didn't really want her to know anything about the story so she didn't want Blackthorn actually helping. The tension between her outward appearance and her hidden ulterior motif, this was what fuelled the book onward. The rest was a filler basically.

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1769 comments ok I am finished. so...yeah...I have seen this kind of plot many times. (view spoiler)
Felt bad for (view spoiler)

Sigh. Two stars from me. I will abandon this series, sorry.

Mayim de Vries | 2892 comments Nothing to apologise for. :D I will stick to the end because I want to see how will the whole Mathuin drama play out.

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1769 comments at this stage I could not care less...

well you know what I think this series should be in novelette format instead so the fluffs and fillers can be gone. We can stick to Dreamer Pool mystery in book one (no stupid kidnapping and trial plot) and the Lily stuff in this one. The reason why I am interested with Marilier was because I love one of her short stories in the Epic anthology.

Mayim de Vries | 2892 comments to be honest, this is my second series by her and so far I have genuinely liked only one book. Which I guess should make me reconsider binge reading her. LoL.

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3908 comments Mayim wrote: "But you still gave it 4 stars :D I think I will settle for 3."

It tells you a lot about the quality of books I've been reading lately lol

Mayim de Vries | 2892 comments :D I hope the next month will be better for you Diana.

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3908 comments Thanks. I am going to try to be more selective with my reads next month. I'm optimistic :-)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1769 comments I have been having a two-star back to back read :( I think (and wish) my current read can help me heal haha

message 29: by Sha (new) - added it

Sha | 1522 comments I do not trust this at all the only reason shed volunteer to go and discourage grim from coming would be blackmail, imo

message 30: by Sha (new) - added it

Sha | 1522 comments ...Or not apparently.

STILL. He makes me uneasy and I'm not sure why.

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1769 comments Sha wrote: "...Or not apparently.

STILL. He makes me uneasy and I'm not sure why."

Do you mean Grim?

message 32: by Sha (new) - added it

Sha | 1522 comments No, Flannan. Or whatever his name is.

Either way, this is not grabbing me too much. I really want to know what on earth is going on with that tower but contemplating Blackthorn's plotline is making me doze off. Seems a bit like whatchamacallit- boomerang emotional states from where I am standing. Idek.

Maybe I'm just bored.

//.pokes sadly at book

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1769 comments Totally understandable. It was a drag.

message 34: by Sha (new) - added it

Sha | 1522 comments DNFing at 20%~

message 35: by Zaara (last edited Apr 10, 2018 01:28AM) (new) - added it

Zaara | 4194 comments Mayim wrote: "I have finished. I liked the bittersweet ending, but I have to say one thing: for all her self-professed astuteness, Blackthorn is SO dense."

I forgot to come bk here and say I finished.
Heh! Yeah the revenge track does grate.
Regarding this:

"Grim's personal trauma turned out to be one fat meh. I had hopes for an interesting story behind the grim (lol) facade, but this kind of PTSD doesn't appeal to me in the slightest."

This is quite unlike you, Mayim.
I...how shall I say this? I suppose Marillier has given a rather romanticized view of it.
The real thing would be much uglier, I imagine.
Harder.
More jagged.
Deadening, rather than emotive?

@Diana...yeah there is so much repetition but I found Geleis interesting bcuz of the dichotomy within, the dark and the light. A pity!
I'll be reading the last one. I want to see Mathuin get it up the chute...although knowing Marillier it'll prolly be some sort of poetic justice and not brutal enough for my bloodthristy cravings. Only Mark Lawrence and GRRM give me satisfactorily gruesome endings for baddies.
GoT series spoiler
(view spoiler)

Mind you, I still dunno how she dealt with that Oonaagh...so I could be jumping the gun with this...