This topic is about Dreamer's Pool
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Dreamer's Pool [Feb 17, 2018]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 79 (79 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - added it

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 8082 comments Mod
Feb 17, 2018

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments in but low priority

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 1338 comments Gonna try. I have had this book forever!

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1818 comments Whoops, forgot this is the first book. I already read it. Will join the sequel discussion.

message 6: by Sha (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sha | 1522 comments In. I need some non romance marillier. May forgot Heir of Sevenwaters for this.

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments Non-romance? I took it for another romantasy just in a different setting.

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1818 comments There's some romance in it

(view spoiler)

message 9: by Sha (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sha | 1522 comments Silvana wrote: "There's some romance in it

[spoilers removed]"

Yep. I'll take that, no problem.

Em Lost In Books (emlostinbooks) | 2385 comments am in for this one.

idiffer | 765 comments I'm in

message 12: by MorteTorment(Unofficial World's Fastest Reader) (last edited Feb 17, 2018 06:44PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

MorteTorment(Unofficial World's Fastest Reader) | 386 comments Oh, I thought that I said that I was in. Read the preview, it sounds interesting, so I'm in.

Edit: Wow, it's the 17th and no one's here. Did we all forget about this book?

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3909 comments MorteTorment(Unofficial World's Fastest Reader) wrote: "Oh, I thought that I said that I was in. Read the preview, it sounds interesting, so I'm in.

Edit: Wow, it's the 17th and no one's here. Did we all forget about this book?"

I'm behind on reading. It'll probably be a few days till I can get to this one.

Em Lost In Books (emlostinbooks) | 2385 comments MorteTorment(Unofficial World's Fastest Reader) wrote: "Oh, I thought that I said that I was in. Read the preview, it sounds interesting, so I'm in.

Edit: Wow, it's the 17th and no one's here. Did we all forget about this book?"

Am starting today.

message 15: by Zaara (new) - added it

Zaara | 4273 comments I'll start in a couple days, Morte. I'm behind too.

message 16: by Dani (new) - rated it 2 stars

Dani | 577 comments I didn't forget and have started, just not posted right away. Also, I'm in a different time zone (aka Europe) so may not always post when others post.

My thoughts/observations after reading Ch 1 - 6
Do not read this if you've not finished up to chapter 6 yet!
(view spoiler)

message 17: by Dani (new) - rated it 2 stars

Dani | 577 comments I'll wait for you guys to catch up since some of you are starting later.

message 18: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel | 1471 comments I read this one already, but I'll be joining in for the sequel. Hope y'all enjoy it!

message 19: by MorteTorment(Unofficial World's Fastest Reader) (last edited Feb 18, 2018 10:40AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

MorteTorment(Unofficial World's Fastest Reader) | 386 comments Whew! :D

And yeah, I'm gonna start late too actually.

K L  | 342 comments I am reading The Last Unicorn at the moment, but will be straight to this one after it! First time I will be reading a Juliet Marillier book.

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments I will be terribly late for this if at all. I'm thinking I should take a break from Marillier for a while but then, this has been on my TBR for such a long time and I really want to be done with it.

message 22: by Dani (new) - rated it 2 stars

Dani | 577 comments Wow, this is a first time ever for me that I'm not the one lagging behind on a buddy read... it's starting to feel a little lonely over here lol.

Em Lost In Books (emlostinbooks) | 2385 comments Dani wrote: "I didn't forget and have started, just not posted right away. Also, I'm in a different time zone (aka Europe) so may not always post when others post.

My thoughts/observations after reading Ch 1 -..."

finished last night but i don't know which chapter you are in right now. hence I am replying for your 1-6.

(view spoiler)

K L  | 342 comments I just finished chapter 12 and clearly everything is not as it should be! Intriguing!

MorteTorment(Unofficial World's Fastest Reader) | 386 comments Oh wow! No one's finished it yet, and it's been 6 days. Didn't think that there was that little interest for this title.

But yeah, finally gonna start it myself today.

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3909 comments MorteTorment(Unofficial World's Fastest Reader) wrote: "Oh wow! No one's finished it yet, and it's been 6 days. Didn't think that there was that little interest for this title.

But yeah, finally gonna start it myself today."

Finally got the call that my library hold came in. Will be starting tonight.

MorteTorment(Unofficial World's Fastest Reader) | 386 comments I see why almost no one is commenting here, and no one's actually finished the book so far. We all quit early on.

Wow...this is bad. Like really really REALLY bad.

Turns out that this book is actually from the POV of 3 different characters, and third is the very definition of a boring asshole. He's a prince who likes to study birds, and write really bad poetry.

Well done book, you really got me excited with your first two chapters, only to give me the finger on the third. That's almost impressive!

No way in hell am I putting up with about 14 chapters from this annoying jackasss's pov!

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3909 comments MorteTorment(Unofficial World's Fastest Reader) wrote: "I see why almost no one is commenting here, and no one's actually finished the book so far. We all quit early on.

Wow...this is bad. Like really really REALLY bad.

Turns out that this book is act..."

I love your review. I need someone else to be negative on a book so I don't feel like I'm the only one. I'm still going to try to give this one a go, but I wasn't expecting much (given that I'm not a huge fan of the Sevenwaters series) and you're just confirming my suspicions.

Em Lost In Books (emlostinbooks) | 2385 comments @Morte: Oram does test patience but other two make up for that part till Oram actually starts behaving and his foolish behavior lands him in a difficult situation but it ends really well.

idiffer | 765 comments @Diana
Pretty much any book I BR I will be negative about, I think.
I'm 12 chapters in and it feels like I've been reading this for 4 years, and nothing has happened yet.

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3909 comments idiffer wrote: "@Diana
Pretty much any book I BR I will be negative about, I think.
I'm 12 chapters in and it feels like I've been reading this for 4 years, and nothing has happened yet."

I think that's just Juliet Marillier's style :-/ I have to wonder why I keep signing up for her buddy reads when I don't like her books.

Finally picked this up from the library. Will be starting tonight. Between this and the Sookie Stackhouse book I'm reading, my snark reviews will be off the charts.

message 32: by Dani (last edited Feb 23, 2018 02:50PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Dani | 577 comments I didn't quit. I finished the book and was kinda waiting till others caught up but I'm not checking the thread all the time because of time zones and,.. well life.

The book was okay but really didn't think it was anything special to say the least. I don't like to be very negative but for me personally there just wasn't all that much to like.
For most of the book I didn't like any of the three main characters but to me the book's true 'offence' is that this is supposed to be a fantasy but I feel it hardly qualified as such. (I'm not elaborating on this because of spoilers for others).

I may have finished the book but I'll be around for anyone who wants to discuss.

message 33: by Dani (last edited Feb 23, 2018 03:01PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Dani | 577 comments @ Manju

I'm glad for you that you eventually warmed up to the characters. I had a hard time with them. I only vaguely appreciated Grim and of course he had the least and the shortest chapters of them all. Blackthorn annoyed me almost throughout the book (view spoiler) and Oran was just a whiny brat but ultimately he somewhat grew on me. (view spoiler)

(view spoiler)

Em Lost In Books (emlostinbooks) | 2385 comments @Dani: the only fantasy i have read this year is Oathbringer and A court of thorns and roses. While Oathbringer has a very complex magic system, Court of Thorns and Roses is a retelling but this is definitely old school fantasy. i have not read many books like this and perhaps that's why i liked it. unlike my other two fantasy books, characters here seemed more close to real life people. the future of whole world didn't depend on them. true, their actions saved a life but they could have walked away any moment and world still would be intact.

(view spoiler)

message 35: by Dani (new) - rated it 2 stars

Dani | 577 comments @ Manju
Funny you should say you've been reading Oathbringer. I'm going to start that series next April (BR). I've only read The Rithmatist by Sanderson so it's high time I read more of his work.

(view spoiler)

(view spoiler)

(view spoiler)

message 36: by idiffer (last edited Feb 24, 2018 07:52AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

idiffer | 765 comments Why is everyone not happy with the chars? They were fine, they're just... a rare type. Blackthorn was whiny? well, excuse the rape victim for being whiny, not that I saw her as whiny even for one second. If anything she was harsh-worded. Grim is a person that exists, that everyone has met once in their life - few words, much action, good heart. Oram was the paragon of ruling coolness. He didn't fall in love with the effing portrait, he fell in love with letters, which is very much ok in my book, you fall in love through communication. Since when is that wrong?

But the book is too in your face femenist:

Blackthorn: All men are scum!
Oram: But not all men--
Flidais: You call yourself a man?
Bramble: *barks at flidais in fury*
Flidais: Oh, you're such a bitch, Bramble!
Grim: *grunts and makes fists*
Blackthorn: Oh, stop pouting, you tool!

Em Lost In Books (emlostinbooks) | 2385 comments @idiffer: Loved you little summary. :)

Blackthorn was whinny when she was thinking about revenge. But once she puts her mind to helping people, she was alright. Letters came later but you're right, Oram fell in love while reading/writing letters to Flidais.

@Dani: Can't open spoilers on phone.:( will reply later. I think you should start Sanderson with Mistborn but SA is good too. :)

message 38: by Tammie (last edited Feb 24, 2018 07:46PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tammie | 4364 comments idiffer wrote: "Why is everyone not happy with the chars? They were fine, they're just... a rare type. Blackthorn was whiny? well, excuse the rape victim for being whiny, not that I saw her as whiny even for one s..."

I read this a while ago and I liked both Blackthorn and Grim. Considering what Blackthorn had been through I gave her a pass on her behavior in this book. I didn't like Oran at first but he grew on me and I agree, I thought he fell in love through the letters. What I really liked about him was that he took responsibility for his mistakes.

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1818 comments I liked Grim. Blackthorn is okay too. I liked that female male friendship is one of the strong elements in this book (and hopefully trilogy) as I like that trope. Reminds me of Shara and Sigrud from the Divine Cities trilogy.

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments I am finally starting tonight.

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3909 comments I started last night. About 60 pages or so in. So far I actually kind of like it. It's not annoying me as much as Sevenwaters did.

K L  | 342 comments I am about 280 pages in now. Unlike everyone else it seems, I actually like this book. It reminds of more old school fantasies. No kick ass warrior types here.

Blackthorn is a reluctant heroine and that makes a nice change. I do not find her whiny at all. And after she has been through, her need for vengeance is pretty natural I'd say!

message 43: by Sha (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sha | 1522 comments I'm with the "i tentatively like it" team. It's a bit jarring to go to Oran's PoV from the very different Blackthorn/Grim PoVs, but the story so far is interesting. And I kindof adore Blackthorn, because she's kindof a bitch. I appreciate that.

I'm always team Vengeance, although from what I know about Mariller she's team forgiveness. Sigh.

Em Lost In Books (emlostinbooks) | 2385 comments @Dani:

(view spoiler)

(view spoiler)

you are not reading book 2?

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments I have to say that I like it much more than Sevensweaters. Firstly, it reads faster. I intended to read only a couple of pages yesterday and I ended up reading 6 chapters. Secondly, I welcome the change of narrative. This has two aspects: the main protagonist herself, who is thankfully SO MUCH DIFFERENT from other Marillier females. I cannot say I like her, but she has my attention. She is unorthodox, neither your sweet angelic creature who'd been wronged and craves for justice nor an anti-heroine on the shady side of life. When you think of it a healer who doesn't like people is a juxtaposition of the opposites and that makes up a very attractive picture.
How refreshing after the crowd of Sorcha's and Liadan's all of them nauseatingly boring.

Then, multi-POV narration is an added value.

Silvana, I thin the Shara-Sigrud analogy is a spot on, especially when it comes to Grim's POV. I hope there will be more than muscle to his story.

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3909 comments Mayim wrote: "I have to say that I like it much more than Sevensweaters. Firstly, it reads faster. I intended to read only a couple of pages yesterday and I ended up reading 6 chapters. Secondly, I welcome the c..."

This. So much this. I'm really enjoying this book so far. I think I'm around page 120 so still a while to go.

K L  | 342 comments Just finished it.

Final verdict: this book is like comfort food... Great to curl up with, none too taxing on the brain, a decent plot, characters I liked (after a few chapters) and overall very enjoyable for me.

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3909 comments I'm about 40% in. This book is beyond predictable. Granted I haven't gotten to the end but I can already guess everyone's roles. But still, I'm enjoying it way more than any of the Sevenwaters books.

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments Same here.

message 50: by Dani (last edited Feb 27, 2018 02:13AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Dani | 577 comments Manju wrote: "@Dani: you are not reading book 2?"

No, I'm not. I feel really bad about it because I was going to buddy read books 2 and 3, but book 1 was just not interesting enough and too predictable for me to want to continue the series.
That will teach me to commit to a BR of a sequel whilst I haven't read the first in series yet..

« previous 1