What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Suggest books for me > A story full of hope and strength

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Greyman (new)

Greyman | 33 comments I need a fictional story with preferably a male lead, adult. A book about hope and the wonders of life and/or fantasy. This book need to have left you feeling hopeful and happy at the end. Can be any genre, any romance or not. No overly angsty, tear-jerking book. No depression, or abuse stories, please. This is a book about something positive happening, about being strong or perhaps it's a magical and beautiful story? I need something uplifting.

I know most books that move us can also be very sad, but if you know of one that left you smiling a lot through the tears... that's the one. :)

Thank you.

message 2: by Rosa (new)

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 4974 comments I need this, too. Thank you for asking, you put it better than I could have. Unfortunately, I can't think of any books like that off the top of my head. But don't worry, they'll begin pouring in.

message 3: by Nente (new)

Nente | 68 comments I don't know if any of these would fit, but here goes a fairly diverse list of what I found happiness in at various times (adult male lead is a big restriction, though)
All Creatures Great and Small - day-to-day humour, warmth, and humanity
Manalive - finding happiness in everything around (perhaps everything by Chesterton is about that, really)
The Guide - finding happiness without anything at all...
Young Henry of Navarre, Peter the First - historical grandeur (naturally, as these are lives of two great men)
Kon-Tiki: Across The Pacific In A Raft - non-fiction, to take some pride in humankind
Master and Commander, Lieutenant Hornblower - good adventure fiction, but as the characters grow and fight their way up, we get still another brand of happiness from them =)

Oh well, at least I worked that out of my system. Please ignore if these are very different from what you'd have liked.

message 4: by Rosa (new)

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 4974 comments All Creatures Great and Small--wonderful. I wish I'd thought of that.

message 5: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

message 6: by Greyman (new)

Greyman | 33 comments ah, Watership Down!! I remember seeing that movie when I was very young, too young probably, but it definitely stayed with me. To be honest I didn't know it was a book. So thank you for that. :)

Nente, though I can't promise you hit the mark completely with me (I'm too picky with books, its a curse), you got some options there that interests me. I am more than willing to try out your recommendations. thank you!

And thank you Rosa for saying that. :) I am glad I was not alone in this.

message 8: by Kim (new)

Kim | 3 comments The Rainbow Troops by Andrea Hirata. 👌 Very inspiring...the characters are rich and stay with you...it’s really a great read! Please let me know what you think if you read it!

message 9: by Rosa (new)

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 4974 comments The Rainbow Troops for the link.

message 10: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2358 comments Definitely All Creatures Great and Small - a wonderful heartwarming series.

message 11: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Love | 1059 comments His Majesty's Dragon by Naomi Novik His Majesty's Dragon

message 13: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2358 comments And a few more:

Stories of Your Life and Others - speculative fiction short stories, all of which are amazing
The Fountainhead - straight fiction
The Quartzsite Trip - straight fiction
Riddle-Master - fantasy
This Star Shall Abide - fantasy/science fiction
The Count of Monte Cristo - classic lit

message 14: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Love | 1059 comments The Martian by Andy Weir The Martian

message 16: by Paige (new)

Paige | 593 comments One of my RL friends recently suggested a book that may fit.
The Amish Groom

message 17: by Hillary (new)

Hillary | 277 comments A Man Called Ove high on the "happy tears" end of things but also on the hope and uplift.

message 19: by Keith (new)

Keith | 222 comments The Risen Empire is a space opera novel with a positive tone and themes (love across political divides, peace through understanding, overcoming hardship) which deserves to be read by more people (the author is much better known for his YA work).