Our Shared Shelf discussion

Intersectional Feminism > Intersectional feminism V pacifism

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ross (new)

Ross | 1444 comments There is so much aggression in the world today from politics to sport is there still a place for passive resistance. As intersectional feminist (those of us that are) we have a duty to fight for equality and freedom of choice.

What form should that take is some conflict inevitable.

message 2: by Gabby (new)

Gabby  Thorpe (diaryofabibliophagist) | 51 comments I think pacifism is always the first aim when fighting for any kind of equal rights, but sadly due to things such as riot police and tactics they employ, conflict can be inevitable. If we start from a point of peaceful enforcement, and conflict arises than defence may be necessary, but a lot has been achieved through peaceful resistance.

I am very pro protest and taking to the streets. It is unfortunate that the media appears to focus on demonstrations that have led to violence and arrest, but if we come out in our masses our voices can be heard.

message 3: by Robin (new)

Robin (z_rob) | 128 comments Emma wrote: "I think efforts for pacifism in any activist fight is important. However, fights for equal rights always seem to threaten those with more rights, and this may cause violence - not the fault of the ..."
well summarized

message 4: by MeerderWörter (new)

MeerderWörter | 2388 comments I'm very much with Emma and Gabby on this:
I am for marching and taking to the streets. Getting out there, getting the information out there, bringing the news to the people.

Do we have to be pacifist? I don't think so, although of course I wish it would always be possible without violence.
Peaceful protest has its impact. Remember Rosa Parks, she refused to stand up, and where it led now.
Think of the peaceful prayer at Standing Rock, where people around the globe were watching what happened at the 1851 treaty camp.
If we remain peaceful, we are on the powerful side. A peaceful protest is a very powerful tool!