Coffee & Books discussion

Member Board > What makes a good book blurb?

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ian (new)

Ian Coates (iancoatesthrillers) | 3 comments What is it about a good book blurb that draws you in and makes you want to find out more? There's a Goodreads poll running during October in which 3 different blurbs are compared for the same thriller. Each has a different characteristic and it's interesting to see which one people prefer.

Which one most makes you want to open the cover? Take the vote and then come back and share what it was that attracted you to the one you picked.

Goodreads poll

message 2: by Ashleigh (new)

Ashleigh | 9 comments I picked the one that started with"Your career in tatters, your wife has cancer..." For some reason this one jumped out at me and I instantly went "ohh police cover-up? Tell me more!" I think my eyes glazed over and I didn't even pay attention to what I was reading with the other two. I need something that is quick and to the point and leaves me wanting to know more.

message 3: by Ian (new)

Ian Coates (iancoatesthrillers) | 3 comments Ashleigh wrote: "I picked the one that started with"Your career in tatters, your wife has cancer..." For some reason this one jumped out at me and I instantly went "ohh police cover-up? Tell me more!" I think my ey..."

Interesting comments. Thanks Ashleigh.

message 4: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 1201 comments The one that begins "Your career ..." is most attractive to me, but frankly, I'm not likely to read this book at all. Just not my preferred genre.

The other two give more idea of the plot and it's just not of interest to me. The first option sort of puts me into the story right away.

message 5: by Ian (new)

Ian Coates (iancoatesthrillers) | 3 comments Book Concierge wrote: "The one that begins "Your career ..." is most attractive to me, but frankly, I'm not likely to read this book at all. Just not my preferred genre.

The other two give more idea of the plot and it's..."

Interesting. There certainly seems to be a draw with the first one that doesn't exist with the second 2 more factual ones. Thanks for your vote and comments.