Amazon exiles discussion

Voting threads > Themes Round 158 - Long Song Titles - Nominations

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tim (new)

Tim Franklin | 8427 comments Opening this for Foe! OK, on to the theme suggested by Brass of 'Songs with long titles (entirely arbitrary minimum of 7 words; words in brackets are OK but not references to featured artists or mixes)'

Suggest the best of 'War-And-Peace-Alike-Ditties'. Nominations close 10pm on Thursday, I think it is.

message 2: by Tech XXIII (new)

Tech XXIII  | 6369 comments okeedokee,

Absolutely Joan Crawford (With A Bit Of Tilda Swinton On The Side) - Jackie Leven

https://youtu.be/gVcgfGvlRIg

message 3: by theDuke (new)

theDuke | 5605 comments An experimental instrumental post rock band, that appears to prefer to put the lyrics in their track titles! And there are longer titles than this one!

After Tech:

Absolutely Joan Crawford (With A Bit Of Tilda Swinton On The Side) - Jackie Leven
Mechanical Sounds Cascaded Through the City Walls and Everyone Reveled in Their Ignorance - Red Sparowes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RD6bQ...

Note to Lez: Yes, the word 'Reveled' is misspelt, but that's how it appears in the song title!

message 4: by Helen The Melon (last edited Oct 16, 2017 04:19AM) (new)

Helen The Melon | 2613 comments After Duke

Mechanical Sounds Cascaded Through the City Walls and Everyone Reveled in Their Ignorance - Red Sparowes
I've Lived My Life To Stand In The Shadow Of Your Heart - A Place To Bury Strangers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbSY0...

Needs to be turned up loud though! ;-)

message 5: by Collette (last edited Oct 16, 2017 04:44AM) (new)

Collette | 4189 comments After Helen

I've Lived My Life To Stand In The Shadow Of Your Heart - A Place To Bury Strangers
Loving You's A Dirty Job (But Somebody's Gotta Do It) - Bonnie Tyler & Todd Rundgren

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcfLo...

message 6: by Fishy_Jim (new)

Fishy_Jim  | 868 comments Absolutely Joan Crawford (With A Bit Of Tilda Swinton On The Side) - Jackie Leven
Loving You's A Dirty Job (But Somebody's Gotta Do It) - Bonnie Tyler & Todd Rundgren
The Crystal Escalator In The Palace Of God Department Store - Bill Nelson

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wT0Cr...

message 7: by SussexWelsh (new)

SussexWelsh | 4849 comments After Fishy

All Flowers In Time Bend Towards The Sun - Jeff Buckley & Elizabeth Fraser

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnPvn...

message 8: by Lez (new)

Lez | 7490 comments After Foe

Time For The Rest Of Your Life - Strangelove
Time Enough For Rocking When We’re Old - Magnetic Fields

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=t8jWv0O...

message 9: by Lez (last edited Oct 16, 2017 09:22AM) (new)

Lez | 7490 comments Foe, I don’t see why you shouldn’t nom the Twins.
I think Liz with Jeff B. Is a different act entirely ;-)

message 10: by Serial (last edited Oct 16, 2017 09:30AM) (new)

Serial Sock Trumpet (serialsocktrumpet) | 1764 comments After Lez

Time For The Rest Of Your Life - Strangelove
Long Live British Democracy Which Flourishes and Is Constantly Perfected Under the Immaculate Guidance of the Great, Honourable, Generous and Correct Margaret Hilda Thatcher. She Is the Blue Sky in the Hearts of All Nations. Our People Pay Homage and Bow in Deep Respect and Gratitude to Her. The Milk Of Human Kindness - Test Dept

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4Wro...

message 11: by TheFoe (new)

TheFoe | 1944 comments Yeah stuff it Lez, deleted my post and changing my nomination. :-)

“Long Live British Democracy Which Flourishes and Is Constantly Perfected Under the Immaculate Guidance of the Great, Honourable, Generous and Correct Margaret Hilda Thatcher. She Is the Blue Sky in the Hearts of All Nations. Our People Pay Homage and Bow in Deep Respect and Gratitude to Her. The Milk Of Human Kindness - Test Dept
How To Bring A Blush To The Snow - Cocteau Twins

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPVvU...

message 12: by Grimmy (new)

Grimmy | 49 comments After Foe

“Long Live British Democracy Which Flourishes and Is Constantly Perfected Under the Immaculate Guidance of the Great, Honourable, Generous and Correct Margaret Hilda Thatcher. She Is the Blue Sky in the Hearts of All Nations. Our People Pay Homage and Bow in Deep Respect and Gratitude to Her. The Milk Of Human Kindness - Test Dept
If I Could Do It Again I'd Do It All Over You - Caravan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3h7WZ...

message 13: by Derek (new)

Derek W | 1207 comments After Grimmy

Ezekiel 7 and the Permanent Efficacy of Grace - The Mountain Goats

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQ-zZ...

message 14: by Spacepig (new)

Spacepig Pig | 1397 comments After Derek

As Syrians pour in, Lebanon grapples with ghosts of a bloody past - Ulver

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fDy7...

message 15: by Gordon (last edited Oct 16, 2017 02:50PM) (new)

Gordon (skiiltan) | 2932 comments My first choice - Let the Slave (Incorporating The Price of Experience) by Van Morrison - isn't on Youtube, which I've no doubt will come as a severe disappointment to tech. So I'll have to go with this...

Long Live British Democracy Which Flourishes and Is Constantly Perfected Under the Immaculate Guidance of the Great, Honourable, Generous and Correct Margaret Hilda Thatcher. She Is the Blue Sky in the Hearts of All Nations. Our People Pay Homage and Bow in Deep Respect and Gratitude to Her. The Milk Of Human Kindness - Test Dept

As Syrians Pour in, Lebanon Grapples with Ghosts of a Bloody Past - Ulver

Please, Please, Please, Let Me Get What I Want - The Smiths

I'm a Cranky Old Yank in a Clanky Old Tank on the Streets of Yokohama with my Honolulu Mama Singing those Beat-o Flat on my Seat-o Hirohito Blues - Bing Crosby

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyye0...

message 16: by Tech XXIII (new)

Tech XXIII  | 6369 comments oh, i'm heart broken, gordon, probably speaks volumes for morrison that your next thought was for a child beater! :)

message 17: by TheFoe (new)

TheFoe | 1944 comments Thanks Tim for opening this thread. 😊

message 18: by KJS (new)

KJS | 4845 comments After Gordon

I'm a Cranky Old Yank in a Clanky Old Tank on the Streets of Yokohama with my Honolulu Mama Singing those Beat-o Flat on my Seat-o Hirohito Blues - Bing Crosby

I'd Rather Be An Old Man's Sweetheart (Than A Young Man's Fool) - Candi Staton

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwxCl...

message 19: by Tim (new)

Tim Franklin | 8427 comments After KJS

Two Pints Of Lager And A Packet Of Crisps Please - Splodgenessabounds

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tf3aJx7...

message 20: by Val (new)

Val H. | 13591 comments After Tim

From the king of long titles, one of his shorter ones

The Predatory Wasp Of The Palisades Is Out To Get Us! - Sufjan Stevens

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBMww...

message 21: by Sera69 (new)

Sera69 | 1563 comments After Val

Are The Stars We See In The Sky Already Dead? - The Golden Age of Nothing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRqKQ...

message 22: by Lez (new)

Lez | 7490 comments Your Sufjan was on my shortlist, Val. Lots of his have long titles, one of 23 words!

message 23: by Val (new)

Val H. | 13591 comments Lez wrote: "Your Sufjan was on my shortlist, Val. Lots of his have long titles, one of 23 words!"

but many are just short entr'acte pieces - I had to try for a proper song.

message 24: by Jemma (new)

Jemma | 794 comments After Sera

The Blues Had A Baby And They Named It Rock 'n Roll - Dr Feelgood

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qtsnl...

message 25: by Brass Neck (new)

Brass Neck | 3605 comments Absolutely Joan Crawford (With A Bit Of Tilda Swinton On The Side) - Jackie Leven

The Blues Had A Baby And They Named It Rock 'n Roll - Dr Feelgood

Conservative Christian, Right Wing, Republican, Straight, White, American Male - Todd Snider

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUVzh... (can't find an album version)

message 26: by TheFoe (new)

TheFoe | 1944 comments Nominations now closed.

message 27: by Spacepig (new)

Spacepig Pig | 1397 comments TheFoe wrote: "Nominations now closed."

Are you sure? The OP says closing at 10 tonight.

message 28: by TheFoe (new)

TheFoe | 1944 comments No it was last night. Ignore the OP, just cant get the staff! 🤐

message 30: by TheFoe (new)

TheFoe | 1944 comments Only problem is I haven't worked out how to start a thread, or if I have done it's not letting me do it. Please can somebody explain how to start a thread. I went on the 'Post A New Discussion' bit, then had to click the 'I'm Not A Robot' box, (even though I am, in your face Goodreads!), and then clicked on some signs. After that, nothing, very strange.

message 31: by Collette (new)

Collette | 4189 comments Foe, you just go back to the Voting Threads folder and click on New Topic at the top right of the page.

message 32: by KJS (new)

KJS | 4845 comments Are The Stars We See In The Sky Already Dead? - The Golden Age of Nothing - This video is not available
Could only find it on Bandcamp
https://thegoldenageofnothing.bandcam...

message 33: by TheFoe (new)

TheFoe | 1944 comments Collette wrote: "Foe, you just go back to the Voting Threads folder and click on New Topic at the top right of the page."

Hi Collette, yeah this is what I tried, I put 'Themes Round 158 -Songs with long titles - Votes' in the topic box but don't know what I'm meant to type in the 'this topic is about' box.

message 34: by TheFoe (new)

TheFoe | 1944 comments KJS wrote: "Are The Stars We See In The Sky Already Dead? - The Golden Age of Nothing - This video is not available
Could only find it on Bandcamp
https://thegoldenageofnothing.bandcam......"

Thanks KJS, I'll add that link to the playlist once I've worked out how to start a thread....where's technical support??

message 35: by theDuke (new)

theDuke | 5605 comments Er......sorry Foe..but I've already done it for you!

I wanted to find out myself how to post a thread....read the op..you'll see that I found it a trying experience too! lol!

message 36: by Gordon (last edited Oct 19, 2017 12:33PM) (new)

Gordon (skiiltan) | 2932 comments Foe, try the following...

1. Click on "Voting threads" to open the folder

2. Click on "new topic"

3. Enter "Themes Round 158 -Songs with long titles - Votes" in the "topic" box

4. Put anything you like in the "This topic is about" box: try "Songs with long titles"

5. Leave or select "Voting threads" in the "folder" box

6. Type your intro to the thread (i.e. the first post) in the "comment" box

7. Click on "Post"

message 37: by Gordon (new)

Gordon (skiiltan) | 2932 comments Gordon wrote: "Foe, try the following..."

On second thoughts, don't. Duke has already done it.

message 38: by TheFoe (new)

TheFoe | 1944 comments Hi Gordon, thanks for the instructions. As soon as I followed them, a page comes up with

1) I'm not a robot box
2) Topic
3) This is a discussion question
4) Comment

So I click the 'I'm not a robot' box, enter 'Songs With Long Titles' in the topic box, tick the box that says 'this is a discussion question' and enter my intro in the 'comment' box, and it comes up with a red box that says, '
1 error prohibited this topic from being saved:

Context can't be blank

I'm really not being thick, I just don't know what I'm doing wrong.

message 39: by Collette (new)

Collette | 4189 comments TheFoe wrote: "Collette wrote: "Foe, you just go back to the Voting Threads folder and click on New Topic at the top right of the page."

Hi Collette, yeah this is what I tried, I put 'Themes Round 158 -Songs wit..."

You don't have to type anything in the 'about box', Foe. I left it blank when I opened the Album and Song Tag threads and it worked fine. You'll know for next time now. 🙂

message 40: by Gordon (new)

Gordon (skiiltan) | 2932 comments That might be because there's now already a thread with that title. Try creating a nonsense thread in the Test folder. I'll delete it once you know it's worked.

message 41: by theDuke (new)

theDuke | 5605 comments Yeah same here Nick..that discussion box thingy..i didn't touch it, it's not important....but that balddy robot thing..pain in the proverbial that is...that has to be done first, before you do the rest. You need to check that there is a tick, to say that you done it correctly...then do the other stuff afterwards.

message 42: by TheFoe (new)

TheFoe | 1944 comments Gordon wrote: "That might be because there's now already a thread with that title. Try creating a nonsense thread in the Test folder. I'll delete it once you know it's worked."

Thanks Gordon, that worked! :-)