Play Book Tag discussion

Our Souls at Night
This topic is about Our Souls at Night
Archive: Other Books > Our Souls at Night/ Kent Haruf - 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments This is a quiet story of Addie and Louis, two seventy somethings who have lost their spouses. Addie approaches Louis to start a friendship to ward off the loneliness she feels. What ensues is a lovely story of their evolving friendship and how they deal with family and other small town residents who aren’t as pleased with their budding relationship.

I had heard about this book a while back but wasn't sure that I would like it. However, since I was doing a reading challenge and was looking for shorter books, this fit the bill perfectly. The story is much more engaging than I thought from the description. I really enjoyed the main characters, especially Addie's spunkiness. My only problem was (view spoiler)

Ellen | 2214 comments Loved this book!

message 3: by Joni (new) - added it

Joni | 622 comments Oooooo.....another TBR add!!!

Denizen (den13) | 1138 comments I read this last month for American (but probably didn't review it.) I agree that it is a lovely book much like his others. Haruf does a beautiful job of portraying everyday life with characters taking on interesting challenges.

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments I also read last month but just getting around to writing reviews.

I had heard of several books by Haruf, which I think I will check out now.

Susie | 4488 comments I loved it and have since read Plainsong which I equally loved. Both five stars for me and I plan to read everything he ever wrote!

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6000 comments Loved this book as well .... I listened to it on audio last winter. My F2F book club is discussing it next month, and I'll probably re-read it before that discussion.