Hooked on Books discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive > October 21st & 22nd

Comments Showing 1-50 of 67 (67 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Shaunesay (last edited Oct 19, 2017 05:35PM) (new)

Shaunesay Welcome to our weekend long read-a-thon. Each reader reads from 12:01am on Saturday to 11:59pm on Sunday in their local time zone.

To sign up simply start yourself a post to track what you've read during the read-a-thon. Edit your post throughout the read-a-thon to let everyone know which books you've read & your total number of pages.

Readers:

Adrianna
Amanda
Berta
Claire
Danniele
Dannii
Heather
Janessa
Jess
Jessica
Jonidyan
Karen
Kaylee
Lesa
Marky
Mary
Melanie
Rachel Despins
Rachel
Ruth
Sarah
Sophie
Susan
Swaroop
Trisha
Vivian

message 2: by Lesa (last edited Oct 22, 2017 10:53PM) (new)

Lesa Divine | 94 comments TBR: I Hate Fairyland #2 by Skottie Young The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer, #1) by Michelle Hodkin Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass, #1) by Sarah J. Maas Giant Days, Vol. 1 (Giant Days, #1) by John Allison Giant Days, Vol. 2 (Giant Days, #2) by John Allison A Royal Pain (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #2) by Rhys Bowen

10/21: I Hate Fairyland #2 by Skottie Young (144 pages) Giant Days, Vol. 1 (Giant Days, #1) by John Allison (54 pages-DNF) The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer, #1) by Michelle Hodkin (146 pages)
10/22: Traitor's Blade (Greatcoats, #1) by Sebastien de Castell (72 pages) Storm Front (The Dresden Files, #1) by Jim Butcher (27 pages) A Royal Pain (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #2) by Rhys Bowen (97 pages)

Pages read: 560

Books read: I Hate Fairyland #2 by Skottie Young The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer, #1) by Michelle Hodkin

message 3: by Jess (new)

Jess Foley | 38 comments Shaunesay wrote: "Welcome to our weekend long read-a-thon. Each reader reads from 12:01am on Saturday to 11:59pm on Sunday in their local time zone.

To sign up simply start yourself a post to track what you've read..."

I'm in.

message 4: by Dannii (last edited Oct 23, 2017 12:35AM) (new)

Dannii Elle (danniiellereads) TBR:
Bonfire by Krysten Ritter The Diabolic (The Diabolic, #1) by S.J. Kincaid

Currently reading:

21/10:
193 pages of Poor Unfortunate Soul: A Tale of the Sea Witch
250 pages of Fairest of All: A Tale of the Wicked Queen
218 pages of The Beast Within: A Tale of Beauty's Prince
153 pages of Dolly

22/10:
226 pages of The Woman Who Walked Into Doors
288 pages of Ghost Stories

Pages read:

Books completed:
Poor Unfortunate Soul A Tale of the Sea Witch by Serena Valentino Fairest of All A Tale of the Wicked Queen by Serena Valentino The Beast Within A Tale of Beauty's Prince by Serena Valentino Dolly by Susan Hill The Woman Who Walked Into Doors by Roddy Doyle Ghost Stories (Scholastic Classics) by Various

message 5: by Heather (new)

Heather | 1262 comments You know me I'm in! Hopefully I won't be starting my new job then.

message 6: by Hazel (last edited Oct 22, 2017 09:15AM) (new)

Hazel (hazelev93) 21/10: Blackbird - N.D. Gomes
22/10: Midnight At The Bright Ideas Bookstore - Matthew J Sullivan

Pages finished: 623
Books finished: 2

message 7: by Karen (last edited Oct 23, 2017 06:00AM) (new)

Karen (karinlib) | 1053 comments Mod
I'm In!

Currently reading:
10/21:304 pages
10/22: 102 pages

Pages read: 406

Books Finished: Throne of Jade by Naomi Novik

message 8: by Rachel Anne (last edited Oct 23, 2017 06:03AM) (new)

message 9: by Trisha (last edited Oct 23, 2017 09:34AM) (new)

Trisha | 318 comments Yes - me too!

TBR:
David Copperfield by Charles Dickens The Canterville Ghost by Oscar Wilde The Turn of the Screw by Henry James

10/21: David Copperfield, 120 pages, finished
The Canterville Ghost, 40 pages, finished

10/22: The Turn of the Screw, 149 pages, finished

Pages read: 309
Books finished:
David Copperfield by Charles Dickens The Canterville Ghost by Oscar Wilde The Turn of the Screw by Henry James

message 10: by Endlessbibliophile (last edited Oct 21, 2017 11:44AM) (new)

Endlessbibliophile TBR (aka wish me luck, guys :D): Spellslinger (Spellslinger, #1) by Sebastien de Castell The Diabolic (The Diabolic, #1) by S.J. Kincaid Co by můj syn měl vědět o světě by Fredrik Backman

10/21: 172 pages of The Diabolic
10/22:

Pages read:
Books finished:

message 11: by Dannii (new)

Dannii Elle (danniiellereads) Marky wrote: "TBR (aka wish me luck, guys :D): Verum (The Nocte Trilogy, #2) by Courtney Cole Spellslinger (Spellslinger, #1) by Sebastien de Castell The Diabolic (The Diabolic, #1) by S.J. Kincaid Co by můj syn měl vědět o světě by Fredrik Backman

10/21:
10/22:

..."

I'm hoping to read The Diabolic, too. I hope you enjoy :)

message 12: by Jessica (last edited Oct 22, 2017 04:07AM) (new)

Jessica Gillies | 71 comments TBR: Where I'm Reading From The Changing World of Books by Tim Parks Babel No More The Search for the World's Most Extraordinary Language Learners by Michael Erard Das Paket by Sebastian Fitzek Is That a Fish in Your Ear? Translation and the Meaning of Everything by David Bellos (flexible to be picked from ;) )

10/21:14
10/22:26

Pages read:40, turned out to be a busy weekend lol
Books finished: - , but close to finishing Where I'm Reading From

message 13: by Janessa (last edited Oct 22, 2017 09:19AM) (new)

Janessa | 664 comments Currently Reading: Wink Poppy Midnight by April Genevieve Tucholke , Burning Glass (Burning Glass, #1) by Kathryn Purdie , The Beauty of Darkness (The Remnant Chronicles, #3) by Mary E. Pearson , Isla and the Happily Ever After (Anna and the French Kiss, #3) by Stephanie Perkins , Doubt by John Patrick Shanley , The Beast Within A Tale of Beauty's Prince by Serena Valentino , Divergent (Divergent, #1) by Veronica Roth , An Elephant in the Garden by Michael Morpurgo

10/21: Burning Glass (Burning Glass, #1) by Kathryn Purdie -Starting on page 101. Ending on page 135. The Beauty of Darkness (The Remnant Chronicles, #3) by Mary E. Pearson -Starting on page 77. Ending on page 89

10/22: Divergent (Divergent, #1) by Veronica Roth -Starting on page 1. Ending on page 24. The Beast Within A Tale of Beauty's Prince by Serena Valentino -Starting on page 1. Ending on page... An Elephant in the Garden by Michael Morpurgo -Starting on page 3. Ending on page... The Beauty of Darkness (The Remnant Chronicles, #3) by Mary E. Pearson -Starting on page 89. Ending on page... Isla and the Happily Ever After (Anna and the French Kiss, #3) by Stephanie Perkins -Starting on page 43. Ending on page...

Pages Read: 34+12+23=69

Books Read:

message 14: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (rjindustry) Yay:)

TBR:

10/21:
10/22:

Pages read:

Books read:

message 15: by Melanie (last edited Oct 22, 2017 07:37PM) (new)

Melanie Harrington | 51 comments TBR: The Titan's Curse (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #3) by Rick Riordan , Orange The Complete Collection, Vol. 1 by Ichigo Takano , Fairy Tail, Vol. 1 (Fairy Tail, #1) by Hiro Mashima , Blue Exorcist, Vol. 1 (Blue Exorcist, #1) by Kazue Kato , Blue exorcist, Tome 2 by Kazue Kato , Blue Exorcist, Vol. 3 by Kazue Kato , Blue exorcist, Tome 4 by Kazue Kato , Blue exorcist, Tome 5 by Kazue Kato

10/21: Orange The Complete Collection, Vol. 1 by Ichigo Takano first 66 pages

10/22: finished Orange The Complete Collection, Vol. 1 by Ichigo Takano (I have no idea how many pages are in this book because there are no page numbers, and I was not about to count them all like I did the first 66 pages)

pages read: who knows
books read: Orange The Complete Collection, Vol. 1 by Ichigo Takano

message 16: by Joni (last edited Oct 26, 2017 09:33AM) (new)

Joni | 88 comments TBR:

Going to visit my little nephew this weekend in Louisiana. The only reading I will be doing is an audiobook on the flight and maybe at bedtime. Worth it though to see his little face.

Pages Read: 275

Books Finished:Scrappy Little Nobody

Adrianna [SypherLily] (sypherlily) | 261 comments I'm in! TBR to come~

message 18: by Susan (new)

Susan (jazzescrapper) | 1587 comments I'm in. I hon and forget to update. I read every day but never update. This weekend I set an alert on my phone that says update read a thon... lol

message 19: by Susan (last edited Oct 22, 2017 01:39PM) (new)

Susan (jazzescrapper) | 1587 comments TBR House of Furies (House of Furies, #1) by Madeleine Roux , Kill the Boy Band by Goldy Moldavsky , Every Heart a Doorway (Wayward Children, #1) by Seanan McGuire , 5 to 1 by Holly Bodger

10/21: 140 pages
10/22:

Pages read:
Books finished: 5 to 1 by Holly Bodger

message 20: by Berta (last edited Oct 22, 2017 03:15AM) (new)

Berta (bertaisawkwardbooks) | 45 comments I'm in!
TBR: Night Film by Marisha Pessl Vicious (Villains, #1) by V.E. Schwab

10/21: Night Film by Marisha Pessl
10/22: Vicious (Villains, #1) by V.E. Schwab The Snowman (Harry Hole, #7) by Jo Nesbø

Pages read: 1055(according to my ereader)
Books finished: Night Film by Marisha Pessl Vicious (Villains, #1) by V.E. Schwab

message 21: by Sarah (last edited Oct 23, 2017 05:16AM) (new)

Sarah (sarahkerscher) TBR: Vicious (Villains, #1) by V.E. Schwab

Oct 21: Vicious, 28 pages
Oct 22: Vicious, 44 pages

Total pages read: 72 pages

message 22: by Amanda (last edited Oct 23, 2017 02:50AM) (new)

Amanda R (fairyteapot) | 313 comments Weekend Read-a-thon
Saturday 21 - Sunday 22 October

Books: Eva Luna by Isabel Allende

Saturday:

Eva Luna by Isabel Allende 78 pages

Sunday:

Eva Luna 68 pages

Total: 146 pages

Finished: Eva Luna by Isabel Allende

message 23: by Danniele (new)

Danniele (readingislife1) | 11 comments Oct 21:
Oct 22:

Total pages read:

TBR:

message 24: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 4 comments I'm in and excited!

Hopeful TBR:
Carola Dunn -- Fall of a Philanderer
Sheila Connolly -- Scandal in Skibbereen
Roger Zelazny -- A Night in the Lonesome October
Carola Dunn -- Gunpowder Plot

message 25: by Vivian (last edited Oct 23, 2017 04:45AM) (new)

Vivian Wolkoff | 158 comments TBR: The second half of Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman ... and Adulthood Is a Myth (Sarah's Scribbles, #1) by Sarah Andersen Big Mushy Happy Lump (Sarah's Scribbles, #2) by Sarah Andersen A Brewing Storm (Derrick Storm, #1) by Richard Castle A Raging Storm (Derrick Storm, #2) by Richard Castle A Bloody Storm (Derrick Storm, #3) by Richard Castle The Lover's Dictionary by David Levithan

Currently reading: The Accidental Dictionary The remarkable twists and turns of English words by Paul Anthony Jones A Darker Shade of Magic (Shades of Magic, #1) by V.E. Schwab

10/21: I read The Lover's Dictionary, Adulthood Is a Myth, Big Mushy Happy Lump and 20% (or 45 pages) of The Accidental Dictionary: The remarkable twists and turns of English words
10/22: I read the first 15% (or 60 pages) of A Darker Shade of Magic.

Pages read: 553

Books Finished: The Lover's Dictionary by David Levithan Adulthood Is a Myth (Sarah's Scribbles, #1) by Sarah Andersen Big Mushy Happy Lump (Sarah's Scribbles, #2) by Sarah Andersen

message 26: by Mary (new)

Mary Bronson | 61 comments I am in! Not sure about my TBR just yet, but I will post ASAP

10/21:
10/22:

Pages Read:

Books Finished:

message 27: by Rachel (last edited Oct 22, 2017 06:53PM) (new)

Rachel | 273 comments I'm In!
After the Game (The Field Party, #3) by Abbi Glines Crank (Crank, #1) by Ellen Hopkins

Currently Reading: Crank (Crank, #1) by Ellen Hopkins
10/21: Finished After the Game read 140 pages, Crank read 14 pages
10/22:Crank read 192 pages

Pages Read:346

Books Finished: After the Game (The Field Party, #3) by Abbi Glines

message 28: by Claire (last edited Oct 22, 2017 11:36AM) (new)

Claire | 1 comments First readathon ever!

TBR: Crown of Midnight (Throne of Glass, #2) by Sarah J. Maas The Dreadful Tale of Prosper Redding (The Dreadful Tale of Prosper Redding #1) by Alexandra Bracken Scythe (Arc of a Scythe, #1) by Neal Shusterman Saga, Vol. 6 (Saga, #6) by Brian K. Vaughan Landscape with Invisible Hand by M.T. Anderson

10/21: Finished Prosper Redding, made progress in Crown of Midnight
10/22: Finished Landscape with Invisible Hand

Pages read: 405

Books finished: The Dreadful Tale of Prosper Redding, Landscape with Invisible Hand

message 29: by Shaunesay (new)

Shaunesay Only a couple more days! I see we have a first-timer, Claire! Glad to have you all! I have everyone linked up in the first post so you can find your update post easier during the RAT. I will try to remember to pop in with fun questions to answer, and feel free to chat here in thread during the RAT!

message 30: by Dannii (new)

Dannii Elle (danniiellereads) Anyone taking part in Dewey's readathon as well, this weekend?

message 31: by Shaunesay (new)

Shaunesay Yes! I am a devoted Dewey's participant!

message 32: by Heather (new)

Heather | 1262 comments Hoping to but I'm not sure! I start work on Monday so that's awesome timing.

message 33: by janna.g (new)

janna.g i'm in!!

21/10:
22/10:

message 34: by Dannii (new)

Dannii Elle (danniiellereads) Shaunesay wrote: "Yes! I am a devoted Dewey's participant!"

I'm so excited. I got my snacks in today, created a duvet fort, and have my books piled next to me so I'm ready to go when I wake up tomorrow.

message 35: by Dannii (new)

Dannii Elle (danniiellereads) Heather wrote: "Hoping to but I'm not sure! I start work on Monday so that's awesome timing."

Best of luck with your job!

message 36: by Johnni (last edited Oct 22, 2017 01:03AM) (new)

Johnni Quest (johnniquest) | 1226 comments TBR: Because You Love to Hate Me 13 Tales of Villainy by Ameriie

10/21: 349 pages of Roar (Stormheart, #1) by Cora Carmack and 46 pages of Because You Love to Hate Me 13 Tales of Villainy by Ameriie
10/22:

Pages read: 395

Books read: Roar (Stormheart, #1) by Cora Carmack

message 37: by Jess (last edited Oct 23, 2017 03:27AM) (new)

Jess Foley | 38 comments TBR: The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame & The Lesser Bohemians by Eimear McBride Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling The Pickwick Papers by Charles Dickens
10/21: Started The Pickwick Papers by Charles Dickens . Read 3 chapters, 43 pages.
10/22: Goal is to finish The Lesser Bohemians by Eimear McBride . Read 100 pages.

Pages read: 143 pages in total

Books read:

message 38: by Shaunesay (new)

Shaunesay Since some of you may start before I'm up and around in the morning, for our first fun question, tell us the location where your current read takes place, and would you want to vacation there?

message 39: by Hazel (new)

Hazel (hazelev93) My current read is set on the Orkney Islands which are off the coast at the top of Scotland, yes I definitely would. Scotland is one of the most beautiful places I've even been so I'm sure an island community would be lovely. I'd likely never come back.

message 40: by Dannii (new)

Dannii Elle (danniiellereads) I'm reading a Snow White retelling, Fairest of All: A Tale of the Wicked Queen, and wouldn't mind living in the opulent castle.

message 41: by Berta (new)

Berta (bertaisawkwardbooks) | 45 comments I'm reading Night Film, which is set in New York, and I'd love to visit the city someday!

message 42: by Karen (last edited Oct 21, 2017 06:23AM) (new)

Karen (karinlib) | 1053 comments Mod
I am reading Throne of Jade by Naomi Novik, and right now Temeraire and his human, Laurence are sailing toward China. The story takes place during the Napoleonic Wars, so the voyage from England to China could take up to 8 months, depending on weather conditions.
I definitely wouldn't mind taking an around-the-world cruise.

message 43: by Janessa (new)

Janessa | 664 comments I'm reading several books at the moment, one of them Isla and the Happily Ever After (Anna and the French Kiss, #3) by Stephanie Perkins is set in Paris, and although not high on my list of places to visit in my lifetime, I would like to go there. I want to go the France to see some of the spots the Impressionists hung around.

message 44: by Shaunesay (new)

Shaunesay My current read is The Tethered Mage (Swords and Fire #1) by Melissa Caruso , a fantasy set in the City of Raverra, that reminds me of Italy and it's City States. I would definitely love to visit Italy!

message 45: by Susan (new)

Susan (jazzescrapper) | 1587 comments I am finally starting to read...I fell so sound asleep last night I slept through my start time. I plan on doing nothing but reading today :)

message 46: by Amanda (new)

Amanda R (fairyteapot) | 313 comments My book is set in Chile. It's not somewhere on my list to visit. The place it's set has a beach. I'm definitely up for some sunbathing especially now the autumn weather is kicking in.

message 47: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 273 comments My current read is After the Game (The Field Party, #3) by Abbi Glines and I started of the day at page 213 and i am now on page 232

message 48: by Shaunesay (new)

Shaunesay Here is our next question for fun! What is your favorite reading drink or snack?

I'm starting to explore tea, it's not something I've ever had very much, but I'm starting to get into it, so I'll go with a mug of fragrant herbal or fruit tea as my reading drink! This morning I had one that smelled like salted caramel! At least it was supposed to! ;)

Feel free to keep answering the first question as well, where your book is set and if you'd like to vacation there!

message 49: by Amanda (new)

Amanda R (fairyteapot) | 313 comments A mug of tea. Perfect!

message 50: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 273 comments Depending on the weather it is water or hot chocolate

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.