Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Anns Sept 2017 books (finally posted)

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann (last edited Oct 21, 2017 01:37PM) (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14623 comments I am late in posting my September books read and they were a good group to look back on. Some were out of my usual comfort zone and proved to be good reads along with established favorites. Mostly audio as usual and I sprinkled in some Kindle reading along with some print books I haven't finished yet
The Hate U Give
Midnight at the Bright Ideas Bookstore
Camino Island
Exposed
The Good Daughter
A Grave Talent
Rosemary and Rue
The Child
They Both Die at the End

Thomas, Angie The Hate U Give Overdrive audio 9/1/2017 A very powerful book rank 9.75 of 10
"What's the point of having a voice if you are silent when you shouldn't be?" This book is an emotional read and probably the most important book I have read this year. The audio narration by Bahni Turpin is especially good and the story, the story that echoes and reverberates is very important to hear, process; and like Starr, all of us should never ever forget and we cannot stay silent.

Sullivan, Matthew Midnight at the Bright Ideas Bookstore Overdrive audio finished 9/5/2017 Rank 9 of 10
Secrets, friendship, loyalty, loss and a mystery bringing pain from the past that cannot be ignored. The bookstore abounds with books, colorful characters and with clues a determined friend must follow.

Grisham, John Camino Island Overdrive audio finished 9/8/2017 Rank 9 of 10 several here mentioned that they enjoyed it despite it being a departure fora Grisham book. so add me to that camp.
A theft, rare books, a hunt, an amazing bookstore, an eclectic group of writers, publishing and author insight and tons of rich gossipy book talk in a taut enjoyable story, this is not the usual Grisham legal thriller but it is quite good.

Scottoline, Lisa Exposed (Rosato & DiNunzio, #5) Overdrive audio finished 9/10/2017 Rank 9.35 of 10 I read new Scottoline books as fast as I can upon release.
Love these characters and how they grow and interact; a tightly wound thriller with maybe a bit more than the usual suspense. Ready for the next one!

Slaughter, Karin The Good Daughter Audible audio finished 9/15/2017 and a tope read ranked 9.75 of 10
I loved this book. The audio narration of Kathleen Early links to the feel of Slaughter's Grant County books with a fresh point of view. A story of past tragic violence, a recent school shooting, the criminal defense of the guilty; guaranteed by law, but an inflammatory situation complicated by the struggle to survive; familiar in the portrayal of sisters and family relationships.

King, Laurie R A Grave Talent Overdrive audio finished 9/16/2017 Rank 9 of 10
This is not my first Laurie R. King book; it is the first book in the Kate Martinelli series. I liked what I read; the San Francisco setting, investigation detail and strong characters are a draw -- I will follow this series now too. A favorite author, more books to read, what's not to like.

McGuire, Seanan Rosemary and Rue Kindle finished 9/16/2017 Rank 9 of 10 A paranormal murder investigation from a favorite author. and I like to sprinkle in a paranormal here and there.
Faeries, and all sorts of creatures inhabit a side of San Francisco only the Fae can see, and half-Fae half-human Changeling October Daye must solve this mystery or die trying. 

Barton, Fiona The Child Overdrive audio finished 9/24/2017 and my second Fiona Barton book. I liked it a lot, so a 9.45 of 10 rank.
Multiple points of view contribute to the telling of this compelling tale; unlike some books each pov switch is a welcome perspective. The Post reporter is a main catalyst, a woman in her fifties, Kate contributes with a glimpse of the changes in journalism that adds to the suspense and illuminates the tie between the police and all methods that help uncover the truth.

Silvera, Adam They Both Die at the End promoted on GR or I spotted on someone else's list, not sure which.
Overdrive audio finished 9/27/2017 and I really enjoyed it after not expecting to (dystopian theme) so I gave it a 9.4 of 10 rank.
What if you knew today was your last? What if everyone knew the day they would die with a ticking countdown for living those last hours and experiences? Beautifully narrated, emotional and thought provoking.

message 2: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1342 comments Good month Ann, I also liked exposed. I just reserved the book midnight at the bright ideas bookstore.

message 3: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3693 comments nice month ,ann.

message 4: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8060 comments So glad you liked The Hate U Give. Agree with you on Camino Island. I read A Grave Talent decades ago and enjoyed it. Was sorry the series wasn't longer running. Not read any Rosato & DiNunzio but know how you feel about devouring a new release the second it comes out (Lucas Davenport, Virgil Flowers). Looking forward to The Good Daughter. Good month for you!

message 5: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3626 comments The Hate U Give was excellent. Glad you liked Camino Island. I'm looking forward to The Rooster Bar, since I didn't much care for Camino Island!