Space Opera Fans discussion

Reader Discussions > Goodreads recommendations broken?

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (last edited Oct 15, 2017 03:53PM) (new)

Teresa Carrigan | 2345 comments Mod
I used to get a lot of good recommendations using Goodreads browse recommendations, by genre for Fantasy, Science Fiction, and Space Opera. Starting a few months ago, while Fantasy still refills to 50, I get a almost no recommendations for SF and none for space opera, even though I have shelved books in those genres recently.

Is this just me, or is it possible that the way Goodreads chooses recommendations changed a few months ago, possibly breaking genres that have a space in their names?

Asking here because the Goodreads customer support person says he can't reproduce the problem, and have you tried clearing your cache or using a different browser? Sheeeeesh.....

message 2: by Trike (new)

Trike | 575 comments Seems like there are ebbs in recs for whatever reason. The last time I checked (last year? maybe longer) I had a couple lists with less than 20 books in them. Now they're all up to 50, aside from a couple in the 47-49 range.

Weirdly, there are a ton of superhero graphic novels in my Science Fiction list, which I don't recall seeing before. Since I always classify superheroes as "Fantasy" it doesn't seem to be working off of my categories.

Algorithms are weird.

message 3: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I don't trust their recommendations. Most of the time they're off by a mile.

message 4: by Betsy (new)

Betsy | 880 comments Mod
As I understand it, the problem is not with your categories, but other peoples. It pulls books that have been categorized as "Science Fiction" or something closely similar. But a lot of people even though they read science fiction don't categorize their books that way. I'm one of them. I read a fair amount of sci-fi, but I don't use that genre category. Instead, I will categorize them as "space" and/or "future", as well as other applicable themes. So, it may just be a periodic flux in the way other GR members are categorizing their books.

message 5: by Trike (new)

Trike | 575 comments Hell is other people. :p

message 6: by C. John (new)

C. John Kerry (cjkerry) | 494 comments I actually never look at the recommendations so I haven't noticed this problem. Shall have to check it out.

message 7: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (new)

Thanks for your comments. Guess I just give up looking at the Goodreads recommendations. That wouldn't be much of an issue if Amazon hadn't changed their algorithms a while back so that it's harder to find a book I want to buy. :(

message 8: by Conal (new)

Conal (conalo) | 143 comments Maybe having them refreshed would help?

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 9: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (new)

The customer support person triggered a refresh. Fantasy refilled to 50, I got two moldy oldy SF anthologies in SF, and nothing new at all in space opera.

I tried renaming my science-fiction shelf to "Science Fiction" and it wouldn't let me. I had assumed that the genres for books were coming from Amazon, at least for the ones Amazon adds automatically. If they are coming from readers shelving them to shelves that match the genre name then that could be the problem.

I know I'm not the only person who has read the Neogenesis eARC recently and rated it on Goodreads, just for one in particular that I added recently. Methinks their algorithms suck, or perhaps some publishers pay to get their books recommended and the algorithms skew toward that.

message 10: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (new)

I just checked Neogenesis. Goodreads shows 40 ratings, 18 reviews, and 8 people shelved it as science-fiction, 3 as space-opera. You would think that would trigger some books on the other 7+ people's shelves being ones I haven't read yet.....

message 11: by C. John (new)

C. John Kerry (cjkerry) | 494 comments Teresa wrote: "The customer support person triggered a refresh. Fantasy refilled to 50, I got two moldy oldy SF anthologies in SF, and nothing new at all in space opera.

I tried renaming my science-fiction shelf..."

Goodreads always puts a hyphen in between words for shelf titles. It also changes upper case to lower case. Not sure why but probably so some of the computer functions work.

message 12: by Ronnie (new)

Ronnie (ronnieb) | 321 comments Trike wrote: "Hell is other people. :p"

My friend, I couldn't agree more...

message 13: by odedo1 (new)

odedo1 | 61 comments I don't exactly understand your question, I do know that Space Operas are my favorite and I'll read every one that I can find, in fact I believe that I've read at least 50 more or less this year alone and I'm not done yet.
My favorite are by ( Alastair Reynolds, Peter F. Hamilton, Arthur C. Clarke, J. D. Robb, Robert A. Heinlein, Isaac Asimov, and many more ).
So who says that Space Operas are no more, is wrong and out of his mind !!!

message 14: by odedo1 (new)

odedo1 | 61 comments Maybe the problem is that not so long ago Amazon bought Goodreads ( so now it's purely business ) since then everything changed ( with Amazon its about making money ) and I actually know of many members that left Goodreads and created their own blogs instead.
One thing for sure, it's not the same Goodreads that we loved and where used to. I keep using It because it keeps my book collection in order and I can talk to friends to see their recommendations, I don't trust Amazon recommendations but sometimes they can surprise and be good.

message 15: by C. John (new)

C. John Kerry (cjkerry) | 494 comments Teresa is referring to the fact that her Science Fiction and Space Opera recommendations aren't filling up to fifty books anymore. I checked mine and it is fine. The only thing I noticed is that each book is chosen based on a book you have on your shelf. Possibly the system can't find anything comparable that she hasn't read or already declined.

message 16: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (new)

Or perhaps the books I have added recently have each been very new books, so the system doesn't know what to recommend based on them?

message 17: by C. John (new)

C. John Kerry (cjkerry) | 494 comments Mind you the system seems a bit weird at times. I have 96 books on my Canadiana shelf but all the recommendations are based on two books, one on the Montreal Expos and a childrens' novel by Pierre Berton. None of their suggestions are Canadian either.

message 18: by Ken (new)

Ken Doggett (kendoggett) | 57 comments It is a bit weird. One recommendation for me, based on the fact that I had read The Red Room and Other Stories by H G Wells, was something in a language that looked a lot like Arabic. I don't know what the recommendation was, because I can't read Arabic.