21st Century Literature discussion

What to Read > December 2017 Open Pick Nominations - Retro

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Hugh (new)

Hugh (bodachliath) | 2624 comments Mod
Nominations are now open until October 22nd for the December Open Pick.

The moderators have decreed that we will repeat last year's experiment and make this one another Retro pick, which means that all nominations must be books that the group has discussed previously - if in doubt consult the Bookshelf on the group's home page.

If you are nominating, please begin your post by stating "I nominate [name with hyperlink to book]

For info, we are planning another innovation for January, which will be our first no rules month.

message 2: by Maureen (new)

Maureen | 124 comments In honor of the Nobel Prize, I nominate Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro.

message 3: by Carol (new)

message 4: by Ami (new)

message 6: by Molly (new)

Molly (mollyrotondo) | 30 comments i nominate Orfeo by Richard Powers

message 7: by Suzy (new)

Suzy (goodreadscomsuzy_hillard) | 156 comments I nominate The History of Love by Nicole Kraus.

message 8: by WndyJW (new)

WndyJW Suzy wrote: "I nominate The History of Love by Nicole Kraus."

I loved this book!

message 9: by Hugh (new)

All valid nominations so far - this will be an intriguing vote!

message 10: by Marc (new)

Marc (monkeelino) | 2632 comments Mod
Thanks to Hugh for keeping us on track with nominations and thanks for all the great suggestions!

Poll is now live here:
https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/163209-what-will-be-our-december-2017-retro-open-pick-remember-if-you-vote

message 11: by Hugh (new)

Orfeo has won the poll. Are you happy to lead the discussion Molly?

message 12: by Molly (new)

Molly (mollyrotondo) | 30 comments Hugh wrote: "Orfeo has won the poll. Are you happy to lead the discussion Molly?"

I am very excited to read this with everyone since it has been on my list for a long while, but would someone else mind leading the discussion?

message 13: by Neil (new)

Neil | 306 comments Quandary! Powers is my favourite author and has a new book coming out early next year. Reading this, his most recent, would be great preparation. However, I had promised myself a re-read of ALL his books in chronological order.

What to do?!?!

message 14: by Lily (last edited Oct 31, 2017 07:18AM) (new)

Lily (joy1) | 2471 comments Neil wrote: "...However, I had promised myself a re-read of ALL his books in chronological order.

What to do?!?! ..."

In these days, with all the playing with memory and time, especially in recent novels (chronological time -- how does the mind perceive it, process it, store it, retrieve it; what is its significance), I'll ask your interest/purpose in rereading Powers' books in order of publication (is that the same as his order of creation?) -- not so because I have any need to know your response, but to play with/challenge your reasons for you, for yourself, Neil.

message 15: by Hugh (new)

Any other volunteers? If all else fails I would be willing to do it, but I have fairly fresh memories of the original discussion.

message 16: by Neil (new)

Neil | 306 comments Excellent! It’s a great comment.

An arbitrary decision simply because I want to re-read them all. But slightly guided by wanting to get a sense of how he developed through the books. But there’s no compelling reason when I think about it. And, in fact, Orfeo was the first of his books I read, so would be reaching furthest back in my personal time.

message 17: by Neil (new)

Neil | 306 comments Hugh - as Powers is my favourite author, maybe I could lead the discussion? It might be slightly biased leading, but I am willing to have a go.

message 18: by Lily (last edited Oct 31, 2017 07:37AM) (new)

Lily (joy1) | 2471 comments Neil wrote: "...But slightly guided by wanting to get a sense of how he developed through the books...."

I sort of guessed that. And obviously a "good" reason. But sounds like we should all hope you'll join this discussion. (I haven't decided yet -- my plate is too full. But I will follow it.)

PS -- Better yet. I see you will lead it.

message 19: by Hugh (new)

Neil wrote: "Hugh - as Powers is my favourite author, maybe I could lead the discussion? It might be slightly biased leading, but I am willing to have a go."
Thanks Neil - that would be good, and I am sure the other moderators and I can give you any guidance you need.

message 20: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Tittle | 5 comments I LOVED Orfeo and am so curious to see what people think about it. Richard Powers is underrated, IMO. Looking forward to the discussion.