Literary Horror discussion

Monthly Reads > November 2017

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Randolph, Randy (new)

Randolph (us227381) | 161 comments Let’s start thinking about November. I pencilled something in but it definitely isn’t carved in stone. We’ve had couple of less than stellar reads in the last 6 months so quality should be a criteria (although tastes do vary).

message 2: by Bill (last edited Oct 15, 2017 12:05PM) (new)

Bill Hsu (billhsu) | 1323 comments Well I can't say I have a good sense for what people in this group might consider "quality". But these are on my to-read list, that might be relevant to the group:

Broken River
The Wish Mechanics
The Doll's Alphabet
Sip

And I should add: I've been known to end up hating items on my to-read list. (My friends don't consider me "the pickiest weird fiction fan they know" for nothing.)

message 3: by Randolph, Randy (new)

Randolph (us227381) | 161 comments I know. I desperately try to not read duds since I feel time marching on but it’s unavoidable if you are going to try “new” things.

Listening to Can’t Get Satisfaction by Squire (not the Stones song).

message 4: by Neutrino (last edited Oct 17, 2017 04:16AM) (new)

Neutrino Increasing | 62 comments Maybe The Twenty Days of Turin? Or You Should Have Left: A Novel by Daniel Kehlmann, something I've meant to mention in the foreign horror thread.
New Reggie Oliver and Andrew Michael Hurley novels are coming out in late October, but it might be better to go with something that has been out for a while.

message 5: by Thogdin (new)

Thogdin Ripley | 2 comments I just finished reading The Twenty Days of Turin and it's quite good. Not really horrifying, but odd enough to be worth it in the mode of Buzzati. Hello all, by the way.

message 6: by Randolph, Randy (new)

Randolph (us227381) | 161 comments What about White Tears by Hari Kunzru?

message 7: by Marie-Therese (new)

Marie-Therese (mariethrse) | 550 comments Thogdin wrote: "I just finished reading The Twenty Days of Turin and it's quite good. Not really horrifying, but odd enough to be worth it in the mode of Buzzati. Hello all, by the way."

*waves at Thogdin* Welcome!

I have The Twenty Days of Turin and hope to read it soon. The Buzzati reference makes it especially intriguing to me now.

I'm pretty open as far as the November read. I do plan to start a newish book Eight Ghosts: The English Heritage Book of New Ghost Stories and think it might be of interest to readers here, so I'll nominate it as my choice, but am willing to read whatever.

message 8: by Marie-Therese (last edited Oct 18, 2017 10:51PM) (new)

Marie-Therese (mariethrse) | 550 comments Bill wrote: "My friends don't consider me "the pickiest weird fiction fan they know" for nothing." You?!? No way!!! *crosses fingers behind back and shuffles off snickering*

message 9: by Marie-Therese (new)

Marie-Therese (mariethrse) | 550 comments Randolph wrote: "What about White Tears by Hari Kunzru?"

Oh! This sounds really good. I would be very happy to read this.

message 10: by Neutrino (new)

Neutrino Increasing | 62 comments "Eight Ghosts" might be good, too. I've never read any of Hurley's short fiction, it would be interesting to see how his entry compares to his novel.

message 11: by Randolph, Randy (new)

Randolph (us227381) | 161 comments There is a poll up, it should be under both polls and on the group's home page, for a November read.

message 12: by Bill (new)

Bill Hsu (billhsu) | 1323 comments Marie-Therese wrote: "You?!? No way!!!"
I am picky and proud. November's group read candidate authors should start getting nervous now.

message 13: by Randolph, Randy (new)

Randolph (us227381) | 161 comments I don't think they will lose any sleep ;)

message 14: by Neutrino (last edited Oct 20, 2017 09:28AM) (new)

Neutrino Increasing | 62 comments So, looks like Onions will win. I never actually read any of his stories outside of ones in Widdershins.
This looks like a pretty large volume, too. It will be interesting to see how (if?) the rest of his weird stories stack against a handful of often reprinted ones. For example, I think that equally huge The Collected Ghost Stories of E.F. Benson could be safely freed from some two thirds of its contents, if one wants to focus on stories that are actually worth reading.

message 15: by Bill (new)

Bill Hsu (billhsu) | 1323 comments The Onions collection is 650+ pages. I better start building a database of sentences that I would rewrite.

Fortunately, there's a goodreads review of it that recommends selected stories.

message 16: by Randolph, Randy (new)

Randolph (us227381) | 161 comments Well the Oliver Onions collection of so-called "classic" stories won the November poll with a whopping 8 votes, more than a Democratic primary election in South Carolina so this doorstop will be the November read. I have read the first 20% and found the stories good if not always great. The Beckoning Fair One, a haunted house story, is considered Onions' "best" story; at least the most anthologized.

I would say if anyone doesn't feel up to the Wordsworth The Dead of Night collection, any other "best of" will do or just Widdershins perhaps. I will try to comment story by story so jump in with anything you feel like and I'll at least try to keep up. I cannot promise I am always the most perceptive reader and I have a certain fondness for the ghost trope so I may not be the most discriminating reviewer. I am well aware of the weaknesses of this sort of writing and collection.

There are always buddy reads for those that eschew the sometimes overwritten classic tails.

message 17: by Marie-Therese (new)

Marie-Therese (mariethrse) | 550 comments I like Onions and have read a fair amount of his work, so I'll probably read a best of collection but I'm not going to commit to The Dead of Night. This late in the year I tend to be behind on my planned reading and need to play catch up so a volume this big is impracticable. I'll comment where I can. Apologies, all.

message 18: by Ronald (new)

Ronald (rpdwyer) | 557 comments I'm wary of Oliver Onions. The only work I've read by him is _The Rope in the Rafters_ which appears in _The Mammoth Book of Short Horror Novels_ edited by Mike Ashley.

This is from my review of the anthology edited by Mike Ashley:

"The Rope in the Rafters by Oliver Onions. I do admit that Oliver Onions had one of the better prose styles, but I was underwhelmed by this story. Perhaps this is a too conventional ghost story. The narrator is staying at a place which has a rope hanging from the rafters, and the place has a macabre history: a smuggler used to operate from here, and when the authorities was closing in on him, the smuggler killed himself with that rope. Our narrator senses the presence of the ghost of this smuggler; there is even a smell. And then somebody dies by suicide with this very rope. A lot of words just for this plot?"

message 19: by Randolph, Randy (new)

Randolph (us227381) | 161 comments Nobody sez ya hasta read it.