Outlander Series discussion

Outlander on Starz S3 > E13 - Eye of the Storm

Comments Showing 1-50 of 70 (70 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Dee (last edited Dec 10, 2017 05:49AM) (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1124 comments Air Date - December 10, 2017
Directed by - Matthew B. Roberts
Written by - Matthew B. Roberts & Toni Graphia

message 2: by Diane (new)

Diane | 1359 comments Although I hate that this season is now over I think they condensed the episode well to keep with the spirit of the book and the time frame that was allowed. I liked the change with Willoughby and Margaret and I really did not have to see Jamie wallowing through the dead slave bodies. I liked the intimate scene on the ship - just enough to make you feel their passion. I also feel the ending was a nice place leaving viewers wondering what happens next for our favorite couple but with relief that they are safe and sound on the shores of Georgia. Had they left it with Claire sinking in the water it would have been too much of a cliffhanger for our long wait.

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 28 comments I loved that ending too. It made my heart soar 😊

message 4: by Cheri (new)

Cheri (cherirnhealer) | 175 comments Well, our show closed on a graceful ending with the camera sweeping outwards, leading to a hopeful new beginning for Jamie and Claire. I was disappointed that Mr Willoughby was under-utilized but at least we know what will become of him. It is truly a shame that they were forced to abbreviate so much of the book, but in general they did a good job.

message 5: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Shardlow (lisy_lou) | 3 comments It's been a really long time since I read the books so I don't remember some things. Did that happen with Geillis and Claire in the books? Really good episode though, I've thoroughly enjoyed this whole season.

message 6: by Silverblades (new)

Silverblades | 265 comments I love that they began and ended this season in the exact same places the book did. I do wonder if they'll bother with Claire's broken leg from the shipwreck at the beginning of next season or omit it.

message 7: by Beth_A (new)

Beth_A Warren | 77 comments I thought Mr. Willoughby ended up being rather bland because the writers were holding back. At least he still killed Mr. Campbell. I was surprised that Jamie didn't get seasick during the storm, since any wobble of a boat is supposed to make him turn green. If Jamie was trying to give Claire artificial respiration under water when he kissed her, that wasn't credible. Neither was the CGI shots of the ship floundering. Jamie and Claire had the same light of love in their eyes at the end of the episode that they did in the first season. A very satisfactory ending to the season.

message 8: by Diane (new)

Diane | 1359 comments Lisa wrote: "It's been a really long time since I read the books so I don't remember some things. Did that happen with Geillis and Claire in the books? Really good episode though, I've thoroughly enjoyed this w..."

There were changes regarding Claire and Gellis but the cave thing did happen in the book. That was the big connection between the bones in Joe Abernathy's office and Claire.
As for the sea sickness that a few people have mentioned I think in the book there was a point that Jamie became aclamated to it after everything happened. I cannot remember exactly what was said though.

message 9: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Shardlow (lisy_lou) | 3 comments Diane wrote: "There were changes regarding Claire and Gellis but the cave thing did happen in the book. That was the big connection between the bones in Joe Abernathy's office and Claire."

But did Claire kill Geillis in the books? I think I need to read them all again.

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 28 comments I'm reading them all again in the new year.

message 11: by Diane (new)

Diane | 1359 comments Lisa wrote: "Diane wrote: "There were changes regarding Claire and Gellis but the cave thing did happen in the book. That was the big connection between the bones in Joe Abernathy's office and Claire."

But did..."

I think maybe Jamie did in the book.

message 12: by Beth (new)

Beth MacCabe | 48 comments Claire killed Geillis in the book and Geillis shot Jamie with bullet hitting his skull landing just under the skin--glad that didn't happen in episode. Loved that Jamie took the time and had to hold both Ian and Claire when out of the cave. Nice uplifting and positive ending vs. S2's which was heart wrenching. Can't wait to see them in S4 with Drums coming to life. I've watched the finale twice so far and have tears of fear and happiness both times (even knowing what happens)! The lighting and music was spectacular; liked seeing Jamie describe what he will do to Claire (that is our Jamie) and how she makes noises which he does like about her when mmmphing!😀

message 13: by Diane (new)

Diane | 1359 comments Thanks for clearing that up.

message 14: by MissSusie (new)

MissSusie | 146 comments The music for this series is so amazing I loved this seasons opening song the addition of that little bit of island music to Skyeboat song was so great and I loved at the end when they said they were in Georgia and the new kind of drums started playing through the ending credits I thought it was great foreshadowing to Drums of Autumn just in the music.

I thought they did a good job on this season though it did feel a little rushed at times but I think they are doing a very good job.
I am so looking forward to Drums it is one of favorite of the books but am still having trouble imaging (this) young Ian going through what he does in Drums.

message 15: by Diane (new)

Diane | 1359 comments I think Young Ina is a great actor so far I think he will do well in the next season. Just think about how much Ian changed through Drums of Autumn. Great character development.

message 16: by Silverblades (new)

Silverblades | 265 comments I remember from the early part of Drums, when they end up on a river barge that Jamie does not get seasickness like the plague any more. There's a line where he says he has to remind himself that looking at little wavelets lap against something doesn't have to make him violently ill.

message 17: by Lorinda (new)

Lorinda Cockrell (rindalovestoread) | 54 comments Claire killed Gellis in the book. Gellis shot Jamie and Claire swung an axe and killed her.

message 18: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Shardlow (lisy_lou) | 3 comments Thanks everyone for clearing that up for me!

message 19: by Beth_A (new)

Beth_A Warren | 77 comments I am looking foward to the character Ulysses next season. He is so dignified, smart and methodical, and keeps River Run running smoothly.
I don't care for the actress playing Brianna and she'll have a major role next season, so I'll just have to deal with it. Brianna in the books has an edge, but she is mature and capable. I thought Sophie played her as though she was petulant and immature. That's just my perspective.
The actors for Jocasta Cameron and Stephen Bonnet have been cast for Season Four.

message 20: by Silverblades (new)

Silverblades | 265 comments Beth_A wrote: "I am looking foward to the character Ulysses next season. He is so dignified, smart and methodical, and keeps River Run running smoothly.
I don't care for the actress playing Brianna and she'll ha..."

I think a lot of people who haven't liked Sophie as Bree so far will grow to change their minds in upcoming seasons. In the books, Brianna grows up rather a lot between Claire's departure and her own journey back in time. I LOVE the actress who they've cast as Jocasta. There are a lot of things from book four that I can't wait to see come to life onscreen, as Drums is pretty much my favorite of all eight books so far.

message 21: by MissSusie (last edited Dec 12, 2017 02:52PM) (new)

MissSusie | 146 comments Silverblades wrote: "Beth_A wrote: "I am looking foward to the character Ulysses next season. He is so dignified, smart and methodical, and keeps River Run running smoothly.
I don't care for the actress playing Briann..."

I agree with both of you I haven't yet been impressed with the girl playing Bree yet I have hope that she will grow up some..then I re-read the books and remember I didn't much like Bree at first in the books either.
Drums is also one of my favorites of the books so I am really looking forward to it and I love the actress that is playing Jocasta she is probably the character I am most looking forward to ...Also so very curious (and excited) at when we will reconnect with Murtagh?

message 22: by Silverblades (new)

Silverblades | 265 comments MissSusie wrote: "Silverblades wrote: "Beth_A wrote: "I am looking foward to the character Ulysses next season. He is so dignified, smart and methodical, and keeps River Run running smoothly.
I don't care for the a..."

I have a theory that (view spoiler) I have a pretty good theory as to how at least the first few episodes will be broken down from the book.

message 23: by MichaelCollins (new)

MichaelCollins | 818 comments I think I saw a comment on twitter from an interview Sam did indicating Droughtlander won't be as bad as this season -- hopefully S4 kicks off April.

I'll have to get a GIF up of Jamie rescuing Claire during the storm -- good composition. Damn I'm missing the series already

message 24: by Beth_A (new)

Beth_A Warren | 77 comments The actor who will play Stephen Bonnet looks a bit like Black Jack Randall!

message 25: by Bob (new)

Bob | 2 comments I'm hoping in season 4 Jamie lets Stephen Bonnet hang when they first meet ...

message 26: by Lorinda (new)

Lorinda Cockrell (rindalovestoread) | 54 comments Bob wrote: "I'm hoping in season 4 Jamie lets Stephen Bonnet hang when they first meet ..."

I'm sure they won't it would ruin the plot of the story. Although that's not a bad idea at all.

message 27: by Diane (new)

Diane | 1359 comments Bob wrote: "I'm hoping in season 4 Jamie lets Stephen Bonnet hang when they first meet ..."

I know this is not a huge spoiler but since we have not even been introduced to the chatracter yet we should not be openly talking about what will happen in the next season. You can spoiler tag anything that might be a spoiler though. I will open a discussion for season 4 for those of you wanting to discuss thoughts, predictions, characters etc.

message 28: by Mary (new)

Mary Joseph-Alvarado | 195 comments Will never happen Stephan Bonnet is a pivotal character in Bree's story. He is in all the books up to and including A Breath in Snow and Ashes.

message 29: by Ann (new)

Ann | 19 comments Thanks for the spoiler reminder, Diane! I’ve only read the first 3 books and was waiting for this season to finish before reading more. Looking forward to starting Book 4 after the holidays!

message 30: by Bob (new)

Bob | 2 comments Diane wrote: "Bob wrote: "I'm hoping in season 4 Jamie lets Stephen Bonnet hang when they first meet ..."

I know this is not a huge spoiler but since we have not even been introduced to the chatracter yet we sh..."

Sorry, I was replying to BethA's comment about Bonnet and didn't think about the spoiler issue. I hope I really dislike the actor playing Bonnet. He was one character I really hated. Sorry to spoil anything.

message 31: by Diane (new)

Diane | 1359 comments It was not huge but I just wanted to remind everyone before we all get on a roll talking about what happens next.

message 32: by Andrew (new)

Andrew (andrew61) | 7 comments Bob wrote: "Diane wrote: "Bob wrote: "I'm hoping in season 4 Jamie lets Stephen Bonnet hang when they first meet ..."

I know this is not a huge spoiler but since we have not even been introduced to the chatra..."

I saw the pictures of the actor they casted for the role of Bonnet - absolutely nothing like I imagined the character to be. If it was me casting the role, I would have probably gone for Phil Glennister (the DI from the English version of Life on Mars). Apologies to Mr Glennister for thinking he looks a bit shady!
cheers
Andrew

message 33: by Andrew (new)

Andrew (andrew61) | 7 comments I am afraid that I found the last episode of the season to be really disappointing. I left a comment earlier on in the season how I thought that they were drifting away from the book, especially in the area of sub-plots and this episode really highlights this. Everyone keeps saying that they can't possibly fit all of the books into a TV series, and this is true, they must cut out bits, but when they start adding stuff that wasn't in the original story, then it's out of control. I got the feeling that some of the themes in the whole Outlander story (ie time travel) are being played down at the expense of what the producers feel is the real story - the Jamie/Claire romance. Of course this is a major part of the story, but the whole cave scene and demise of Geillis felt really rushed - dare I say that the production of this felt like a B grade movie. It felt like they rushed through it just to get to the next shag scene which they then slowed down! In the books, Geillis actually mentions that she was in France at the same time as Jamie and Claire and met another time traveller - in the tv show she says that she hadn't met any other travellers. Not sure where they are going with all of this.

Am I the only one who was surprised that Bree seemed to be the only candidate for the Fraser prophecy of being the true ruler of Scotland. Of course we know another candidate!

Maybe I should watch this episode a few more times.

cheers
Andrew

message 34: by Diane (new)

Diane | 1359 comments I think The time travel is also played down in the books. Think about how much you have to read before it is mentioned again. I was surprised that she said she never met another traveler but I assumed she meant at the time they were in the thieves hole. I do remember in the book how Geillis was shocked that Claire was able to travel so many times. As far as Bree goes of course she is the only candidate at this point in the story - it makes sense. I am glad they did include the Prophecy in the story line. I was disappointed that Jaime didn't see Bree and we only heard her voice through Margaret though.

message 35: by Silverblades (new)

Silverblades | 265 comments Andrew wrote: "Bob wrote: "Diane wrote: "Bob wrote: "I'm hoping in season 4 Jamie lets Stephen Bonnet hang when they first meet ..."

I know this is not a huge spoiler but since we have not even been introduced t..."

And I always pictured him as someone like Jonathan Rhys Meyers, tall and lanky with an angular face and fairly prominent green eyes.

message 36: by Silverblades (new)

Silverblades | 265 comments Diane wrote: "I think The time travel is also played down in the books. Think about how much you have to read before it is mentioned again. I was surprised that she said she never met another traveler but I assu..."
Every change they make from the books, the writers make sure to look ahead and see what impact something would have on future storylines. There is stuff from books six, seven, and eight that would be very screwed up by the omission of either the prophecy or the time travel stuff...

message 37: by MichaelCollins (new)

MichaelCollins | 818 comments I hate Droughtlander already -- had to do some minor GIF making to keep from going crazy and likely will do more.

message 38: by Beth (new)

Beth MacCabe | 48 comments I know what you mean!! We will survive! I've been rewatching and rereading to get me thru. This is my first major Droughtlander...

message 39: by Lorinda (new)

Lorinda Cockrell (rindalovestoread) | 54 comments I'm contemplating watching season 3 this weekend and started re-reading Drums of Autumn for next season!

message 40: by Beth (new)

Beth MacCabe | 48 comments Always a good plan! I am on S2E2 in my rewatching (not sure how many times!). Rereading from beginning and ~2/3rds done with Voyager. Plan on reading thru bk 8 which is the only one I haven't read yet. Then start over?!!

message 41: by Lorinda (new)

Lorinda Cockrell (rindalovestoread) | 54 comments When I got to the end of book 8 I didn't know what to do with myself. So I started all over again that was two years ago.

message 42: by Diane (new)

Diane | 1359 comments Starting all over again is a good choice because you love the series and will pick up on all kinds of new details you didn't recognize before. You could also try another new series from a different author that gives you similar feels as DG. I know it wont be the same but it is a great time to check out other things also.

message 43: by Beth (new)

Beth MacCabe | 48 comments Lorinda, that is what I am afraid of, finishing bk 8 and having to wait for 9! Argh! I discovered these books and show just last summer so was able to just move onto the next book, next episode, hence all the rereading and rewatching! 😀

message 44: by Parker (new)

Parker | 107 comments Discovered the books last year. I've already read them through twice. Have also read all of the Lord John books, as well as Seven Stones, the Outlandish Companion I and II, plus the cookbook.

message 45: by MichaelCollins (new)

MichaelCollins | 818 comments ....and...MORE good news ...S5!! http://ew.com/tv/2018/03/18/outlander...

message 46: by Parker (new)

Parker | 107 comments MichaelCollins wrote: "....and...MORE good news ...S5!! http://ew.com/tv/2018/03/18/outlander..."

Just read it this AM! Newsfeeds are great...

And, yes, I'm doing a happy dance.

message 47: by Constanze (new)

Constanze Scheib Thank God! 😍

message 48: by MichaelCollins (new)

MichaelCollins | 818 comments Starz is teasing us this week by re-running S3 this week (although it was fun watching Geneva get dropped in the mud again).

message 49: by MichaelCollins (new)

MichaelCollins | 818 comments I haven't seen when S4 kicks off but I'm guessing May maybe? The clue being the recent running of S3 in its entirety on Starz.

message 50: by Mary (new)

Mary Joseph-Alvarado | 195 comments MichaelCollins wrote: "I haven't seen when S4 kicks off but I'm guessing May maybe? The clue being the recent running of S3 in its entirety on Starz."

No iris Sept. they are still filming and are not in post production yet Sorry. STARZ just used Outlander as a filler because it is popular.

« previous 1