Outlander on Starz S3 > E8 - First Wife

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1124 comments Air Date - November 5, 2017
Directed by - Jennifer Getzinger
Written by - Joy Blake

message 2: by Ken (new)

Ken Cummins | 10 comments I really wanted Claire to tell Jenny..... Although it wasn't like the book I liked the scene where Claire found out about Laoghaire.

That hip roll makes Claire look like a duck when she runs. haha

message 3: by Ken (new)

Ken Cummins | 10 comments For those interested this episode is 1:03:32 on the web and has teasers and behind the scenes at the end.

message 4: by Diane (new)

Diane | 1359 comments I liked this episode and loved how they showed Joan and Marsali worm their way into Jamie's heart at Hogamany (sp?) I know it was different but liked it. I also wished Claire would have told Jenny. I think Jenny would have put up a fuss at first but would eventaully have believed it. I missed the line where young Ian said "Auntie Claire I always knew you were a fairie" I understand why they cut that part out for time sake though.

message 5: by Beth_A (new)

Beth_A Warren | 77 comments I am really starting to like the actor playing Young Ian. I'm not convinced yet about the actor playing adult Fergus, although he wasn't in this episode. It's hard to fill the shoes of the actor who played Wee Fergus.

message 6: by M. (new)

M. MacKinnon | 121 comments I loved this episode! Although I missed the part where Jamie thought he was dying (in the book), I thought the writers brought it all together very well. Laoghaire is as awful as ever, kudos to the actress, and Young Ian is perfect.

message 7: by Sonya (new)

Sonya (shooten) | 26 comments I absolutely loved this episode! It was a great adaptation from the book and certainly felt more like the Jamie and Claire from the book than last weeks episode did. What a joy to watch. I can’t wait for next week but then I have to remind myself to stop because I’m wishing the season away!

message 8: by Karen (new)

Karen (haidaz) | 1 comments I enjoyed it as well. The interesting thing to me is how Jamie is more mature in this episode than Claire is. His experiences over 20 years have been so much more varied than Claire’s were. I wanted to shake her!

message 9: by Beth_A (last edited Nov 05, 2017 08:50PM) (new)

Beth_A Warren | 77 comments Karen, I'm glad someone besides me finds TV Claire annoying at times. At the end of the episode she says that perhaps it was a mistake that she came back, which seemed rather insensitive. She had time to prepare but didn't know what Jamie's situation would be when she got there. Jamie had no idea that she was coming back and it complicated his life, which was already complicated. In the book Claire knew that she had stepped into chaos but was just glad to be there. She wanted to be with Jamie no matter what. It was a shock when she found out that he had married again and had married HER, but when she left for the stones she dawdled because she wanted Jamie to follow her. It worked out in the end.

message 10: by Beth (new)

Beth MacCabe | 48 comments Loved this episode and felt J & C said what they needed to say to give each other a picture of what it has been like the past 20 years for both of them, especially Jamie. I do agree it was a little much with Claire describing how she had a career back in Boston, but in saying that, she does point out that she gave that up to be with J, I wish she hadn't put it as a question, however, if she should've come or not. I first thought a 'yes' at the end there before she spotted the ship would've been nice, but now thinking after rewatching, that it may not have been necessary as they gazed each other, in response to the line from J that we have been longing to hear "Will you risk the man that I am for the sake of the one you once knew?". It will be clear in the next episode anyway, I am sure. Loved that he said "you belong to me, we are mated for life, Sassenach".

I am trying not to compare to the book so much as I understand TV will be slightly different at times. In book, when J saw the hypodermic needle and C reminded him of germs, his response was, paraphrasing now, yes, and that he should've let them burn her 20 years ago! Funny!

Love the acting, superb as usual. I know I will be watching this episode over and over again this week as well as A. Malcolm!!

message 11: by Ken (new)

Ken Cummins | 10 comments I though it was strange when Claire was listing all she gave up to return to Jamie, she didn't mention Brianna.

message 12: by Lorinda (new)

Lorinda Cockrell (rindalovestoread) | 54 comments I loved this episode! I especially liked that we got to see JAMIE again, it like a candle was lit inside of him and he started radiating, the grown up Jamie Fraser! What a great adaptation to this chapter in the book!!

message 13: by Mary (new)

Mary Joseph-Alvarado | 195 comments Ken wrote: "I though it was strange when Claire was listing all she gave up to return to Jamie, she didn't mention Brianna."

Claire was not listing what she gave she was stating that despite the grief of separation from Jamie that there were things that both Jamie and Claire had built in their 20 year separation. She is trying to convince herself that it really was not that bad that she liked Boston, Had a house and a career and friends.....but whether in the 18th or the 20th century she could have these same things (except Boston). And Jamie also had built a life without Claire. It was not what they wanted but it was something. Bree is not a factor because separation does not mean you have given that child up. They are alway with you even if they have died they are still apart of you.

message 14: by Beth (new)

Beth MacCabe | 48 comments I loved seeing Jamie whole again too. Too bad Jenny thru the water on them😀! Funny when C gave J the shot in the ass and his facial expressions as well as asking why sticking that in his ass was going to help his arm. I like going back to the beginning of Season 1 watching their interactions knowing what is destined for them.

message 15: by MichaelCollins (last edited Nov 06, 2017 04:40PM) (new)

MichaelCollins | 818 comments Laoghaire doing what she does best -- being a genuine PITA :

message 16: by MichaelCollins (new)

MichaelCollins | 818 comments Best episode so far this season although I really can't find much fault with the way it has been presented so far.

Am really starting to appreciate the casting of young Ian as he will be real important going forward.

I think the change to Laoghaire's wounding of Jamie (as opposed to the book where its is only sort of told and Fergus comes and fetches Claire) was really well done and actually improved on things.

Nice to see Ned Gowan again :)

message 17: by Mary (new)

Mary Joseph-Alvarado | 195 comments MichaelCollins wrote: "Best episode so far this season although I really can't find much fault with the way it has been presented so far.

Am really starting to appreciate the casting of young Ian as he will be real impo..."

Not Fergus who comes and retrieves Claire in the books...it is young Ian.

message 18: by Cheri (new)

Cheri (cherirnhealer) | 175 comments I mostly liked this episode although it seemed to me that they scaled down much of the drama that was in the book when Claire was treating Jaimie's wound, and the interaction with Laogharie seemed a less emotional than I expected.

message 19: by Diane (new)

Diane | 1359 comments I didn't mind the interaction with Laoghaire but I agree I was looking for more intensity with healing Jamie. It looked like oooh your getting a fever - here take this penicillin and it will all be OK. Poof you are healed. In the book he was dieing of infection until Claire saved him with the penicillin. That is one reason that Jenny started forgiving her.

message 20: by MichaelCollins (new)

MichaelCollins | 818 comments Mary wrote: "MichaelCollins wrote: "Best episode so far this season although I really can't find much fault with the way it has been presented so far.

Am really starting to appreciate the casting of young Ian ..."

Aw ok - I knew it was either Fergus or young Ian -- makes sense with Young Ian next to him during the operation.

Well done episode overall and look forward to next weeks as it will be sure to pick up

message 21: by Mary (new)

Mary Joseph-Alvarado | 195 comments MichaelCollins wrote: "Mary wrote: "MichaelCollins wrote: "Best episode so far this season although I really can't find much fault with the way it has been presented so far.

Am really starting to appreciate the casting ..."

The two people that helped Claire and Jamie were Young Ian and Wee Jamie. They got him into the house and started getting the things Claire needed before Jenny and Ian arrived to discover that
"Auntie Laoghaire" shot Jamie. I bet that goes over well with Jenny. Claire was gone for 20 years and look how Jenny treated her Laoghaire shoot him I wonder what we should expect. I know how the books handle it I wonder what Ron plans to do.

message 22: by Beth_A (new)

Beth_A Warren | 77 comments I wish they had kept the part in the book where Jamie and young Ian thrash each other. It helped them to bond. Perhaps the writers didn't want to go there because of contemporary views on child abuse, but they showed BJR molesting wee Fergus in Season 2. Having young Ian mucking manure was a poor substitute.

message 23: by Beth_A (new)

Beth_A Warren | 77 comments Also, I wish Claire would change outfits, as this one looks too synthetic for the 18th century.

message 24: by Beth (new)

Beth MacCabe | 48 comments Did anyone else catch the little twitch or smile that Jamie did with the corner of his mouth when camera focused on his face while he was on the dining room table? Shortly after Claire started drinking the whiskey Ian gave her and before panning to the next scene in the parlor. I thought that was a nice touch on Sam's part with a nod to Jamie smiling in his sleep, or did he hear Ian?😀

message 25: by Diane (new)

Diane | 1359 comments Beth_A wrote: "I wish they had kept the part in the book where Jamie and young Ian thrash each other. It helped them to bond. Perhaps the writers didn't want to go there because of contemporary views on child abu..."

I agree it could have been left in because it create the bond

message 26: by Beth_A (new)

Beth_A Warren | 77 comments One of the differences in the book is that after returning with young Ian after leaving when she found out about Laoghaire, Jamie told Claire that he didn't want her to return if it was only out of pity. He was more independent in the books, his own man.

message 27: by Sonya (new)

Sonya (shooten) | 26 comments Beth_A wrote: "I wish they had kept the part in the book where Jamie and young Ian thrash each other. It helped them to bond. Perhaps the writers didn't want to go there because of contemporary views on child abu..."

I agree with this point as well. I too missed this scene from the book because I believe it created a bonding between Ian and Jamie that carried them well beyond their uncle - nephew relationship.

On another note, I can't wait to see more of young Ian. The actors portrayal of his character is amazing!

message 28: by Maureen (new)

Maureen | 59 comments Favorite episode of the season! Drama, action, love... classic Outlander in full!

The point about the thrashing between Jaime and Young Ian... I agree. That was a stand-out point in the books where they bonded. Showed each other's character. I think that Young Ian is old enough that the child abuse argument isn't very good. They both deserved it and administering it to each other was part of the punishment.

I want Claire to change outfits too! The periwinkle color seems out of place to me. Beth_A- synthetic was an appropriate word.

When will we check in with Brianna and Roger? Patiently waiting over here...... :)

message 29: by Andrew (new)

Andrew (andrew61) | 7 comments One of the things that really annoys me about films or televised renditions of books is that the script writers leave out chunks of the book and then insert their own stuff. LOTR really suffered from this and Outlander doesn't seem to be faring much better. I realise that you can only fit so much of a book into the film, but when they start mucking about with the story and sub-plots and themes, I start getting annoyed. Especially when they add their own stuff. Do the script writers think they are better than Diana, Tolkien or GRRR Martin?

Episode 8 and the preceding episode really suffered from this. I might add that at the moment I am currently re-reading Voyager, so the comparison between the book and the show is really vivid. The theme of the French Gold is one of the interesting sub-plots that is going on in this episode and Jamie's swim out to the island is a bit out of context where in the book it is explained quite well - more may be revealed in later episodes, so I won't give away any spoilers but the script writer could have handled it better I feel. I don't feel as if I am giving away spoilers but the French Gold thing makes other appearances later on in the books, so more explanation now wouldn't go astray.

And why didn't Claire show the photos of Brianna to Jenny?

As for Laoghaire, Claire should have taken the gun from her and wacked her over the head with it for trying to get her burnt as a witch in Crainesmuir!

message 30: by Silverblades (last edited Nov 09, 2017 06:57AM) (new)

Silverblades | 265 comments Maureen wrote: "Favorite episode of the season! Drama, action, love... classic Outlander in full!

The point about the thrashing between Jaime and Young Ian... I agree. That was a stand-out point in the books wher..."

I so hate to disappoint you, but going by the books, it will be the first few episodes of season 4 before we see Bree and Roger again, at which point we will start seeing them in all the episodes and people will start complaining because they want more Jamie and Claire and less Brianna and Roger. ;)

message 31: by Ken (new)

Ken Cummins | 10 comments Andrew wrote: "One of the things that really annoys me about films or televised renditions of books is that the script writers leave out chunks of the book and then insert their own stuff. LOTR really suffered fr..."

I couldn't agree more Andrew...... The biggest sin adaptations make is changing the core characteristics and personalities of the lead characters.
Poldark is a favorite book series of mine, but the ongoing series is getting rewritten by Debbie Horsfield to the point I don't recognize the characters. That SUCKS

message 32: by Zoey (new)

Zoey  (rozannen) | 229 comments Andrew wrote: "And why didn't Claire show the photos of Brianna to Jenny?
"

Jenny doesn't know Claire is from the future. How would they explain photographs? :)

message 33: by Beth (new)

Beth MacCabe | 48 comments Jamie had told Jenny in the episode when he lived in the cave that Claire was pregnant so wondering why Jenny didn't ask either about the child. Maybe that will come later then. I enjoyed this episode and laugh at the whole needle in the arse scene and also "no, whiskey is a liquid", Jamie's look at Claire was priceless!

message 34: by Diane (new)

Diane | 1359 comments Claire had already lost one child that Jenny knew of. Times were hard and it was common to loose children through miscarriage, delivery or sickness. Jenny probably assumed if there was a child they would be talking of it and didn't want to bring up something painful if it were lost. There was so much going on at that time and not a whole lot of detail talking.

message 35: by Beth (new)

Beth MacCabe | 48 comments That makes sense Diane. Jenny did ask Claire if she had any bairns with the other husband and Claire carefully answered 'not with him'. Claire wouldn't volunteer Brianna's existence for several reasons, mainly not knowing if Jamie had told Jenny or not.

message 36: by Maureen (new)

Maureen | 59 comments Silverblades wrote: "Maureen wrote: "Favorite episode of the season! Drama, action, love... classic Outlander in full!

The point about the thrashing between Jaime and Young Ian... I agree. That was a stand-out point i..."

Well, I guess I am thinking more along the lines of Game of Thrones where we check in with other times and other characters pretty frequently. I thought we might get a "what are they up to now" update sometime in the second half of the season... We shall see!

message 37: by Miss Melly (new)

Miss Melly | 34 comments Beth_A wrote: "Also, I wish Claire would change outfits, as this one looks too synthetic for the 18th century."

Terry Dresbach has spoken about this because she actually copped a lot of flack on Twitter. She basically said that the costume is not meant to be authentic 18th century because it was actually made by Claire in the 1960's with 1960's materials.

message 38: by Kay (new)

Kay | 8 comments Ok it's been bothering me...
Did Jamie accuse Claire of abandoning him, by going back through the stones before Culloden, in the book? I did think that was a bit rich considering she didn't want to go and he forced her. I can't remember and it's been bothering me as it was such an unfair thing to say...