What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Suggest books for me > Audiobooks for non-audiobook lovers

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

TheBohemianBookworm | 116 comments I am looking for really good quality audiobooks. I have never been a fan of them but I would like to give them another go. I am really looking for full cast ones if possible because I think I will be able to keep up better if each of the characters has a different voice.

message 2: by Aymee (new)

Aymee (asphaltcowgrrl) | 37 comments It's not full cast, but I highly recommend Allegedly. The narrator is spot on and the story's great. Oh, and I'm one of those who has a hard time with audiobooks, too.

message 3: by Abigail (new)

Abigail (handmaiden) | 389 comments BBC Radio has a *lot* of audio dramas, most of them full cast: https://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/categorie...

Many are original works, but they do have a lot of book adaptations as well. As dramatizations, the book adaptations are generally abridged, if that's an issue; but if you don't mind that, then it's a really good resource. Most shows are up for 30 days from their air date.

BBC Radio also has a podcast called Drama of the Week, which puts one drama a week in downloadable format, which is then available for download for two weeks. It tends toward the modern/contemporary and written originally for radio, but there are the occasional book adaptations, too.

message 4: by Kimberlyn (new)

Kimberlyn (abookmazedhead) | 35 comments I would really recommend the audiobooks of the Mistborn Triology by Brandon Sanderson. (The Final empire is the first book). They have a full cast plus a good narrator for all the bits in between the talking. AND there are amazing background sounds that almost make it sound like your listening to a movie instead of just a book read aloud. Besides all that the Mistborn series is simply awesome (if you like Fantasy that is).

TheBohemianBookworm | 116 comments Thanks for all the suggestions guys! I am definitely reading all your responses, they all look good.

message 6: by Rosa (new)

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 5092 comments I haven't listened to it myself, but the audiobook of Fairest (a very good book in itself) has a full cast that sings.

message 7: by Abigail (new)

Abigail (handmaiden) | 389 comments Focus on the Family Radio Theatre productions (including various classics, such as Oliver Twist, Ben Hur, The Secret Garden) are also supposed to be really good. BBC Radio has even aired their production of The Chronicles of Narnia in the past.

I can't speak to most of their works personally, but I can say that The Screwtape Letters was, in fact, excellent. Andy Serkis (Gollum from Lord of the Rings) plays Screwtape, and does the part diabolical justice.

You can hear snippet samples of the various productions on Amazon.

message 8: by Brenda (last edited Oct 18, 2017 04:28AM) (new)

Brenda | 87 comments Check out Cabin Pressure (Cabin Pressure, #1) by John Finnemore Cabin Pressure. It's a radio show with the voices of Benedict Cumberbatch and Roger Allam, among others.

message 9: by [deleted user] (last edited Oct 20, 2017 05:18PM) (new)

Alice Hoffman / Historical Fiction: The Dovekeepers The Dovekeepers by Alice Hoffman
Narrated by 4 different woman. Loved the story and the narration. The backdrop of the story is based on true events. Masada. The woman are fictional but realistic.

Tamora Pierce / Fantasy: Terrier (Book 1 of 3) Tortall universe Terrier (Beka Cooper, #1) by Tamora Pierce
Another favorite of mine. Listened twice on audio book now. Outstanding narrator.

Fantasy / Historical Fiction / Romance: The Gargoyle The Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson
I looked forward to listening to the book every chance I could.

Historical Fiction: The Clan of the Cave Bear The Clan of the Cave Bear (Earth's Children, #1) by Jean M. Auel
I've listened to this one numerous times. <3 This book was the start of my love affair with books.

My love affair with audiobooks started with Dracula but I can't find the exact narrator so don't want to link that. It was back in the late 90s/early 00s that I listened. On cassettes :)

message 10: by Bryce (new)

Bryce Van Vleet (sometimesbryce) | 20 comments Sleeping Giants and its sequel Waking Gods. Both have full cast narrations which is helpful because it's told in interview form. I haven't personally listened, but I've read both books and have heard absolutely wonderful things about the audio versions.

message 11: by Dhana Latchmi (new)

Dhana Latchmi Mahesh (latchmigirl) | 55 comments Try any audiobooks from GraphicAudio “A movie in your mind” audiobooks: https://www.graphicaudiointernational...

message 12: by Peter (new)

Peter Meilinger | 474 comments World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War is a great book, and was also the only audiobook I’ve ever enjoyed. It’s got a full cast and the format really lends itself to audio, I think. It’s a series of interviews/anecdotes detailing the full history of a zombie apocalypse, from the very beginning when no one believes it through the war itself and the aftermath. I’m not a big zombie fan, but I really enjoyed it.

Definitely get the unabridged version. The first version left out quite a bit, then they went back and recorded the missing parts when the book got super popular.

message 13: by Penny (new)

Penny (syfygirl21) | 33 comments I second the BBC ones. I much prefer full cast audio books too and the BBC have some some really good ones.

Depending on what kind of genre etc you like I would recommend the any of the following

Charles Paris Mysteries by the BBC starring Bill Nighy - these are great fun, murder mysteries. I have the entire series and just love them. Bill Nighy is perfect in the role.

Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman - great fantasy starring James McAvoy, Benedict Cumberbatch, Natalie Dormer. Another favourite of mine

Cabin Pressure is a funny comedy series starring Benedict Cumberbatch

The James Bond ones with Toby Stephens are pretty good then again I'm biased as I really like his voice

Besides the BBC, Big Finish also do some really good audio book, especially if you enjoy Science Fiction. They have heaps of Doctor Who ones plus other series

message 14: by Jay (new)

Jay Raams | 9 comments GypsyBookworm wrote: "I am looking for really good quality audiobooks. I have never been a fan of them but I would like to give them another go. I am really looking for full cast ones if possible because I think I will ..."

GypsyBookworm wrote: "I am looking for really good quality audiobooks. I have never been a fan of them but I would like to give them another go. I am really looking for full cast ones if possible because I think I will ..."

You would probably like a dramatised audiobook, they have fall carst and sound efecs and mood music, the BBC has some realy good dramatiazations. If you just wont a cast but no sound efects you are looking for a adapted audiobook. Terry Pratchett is amazing in audiobook form, Good Omens is easy to listen to. Good luck

message 15: by Marie (new)

Marie (marie123) | 51 comments So, I'm not at all fond of audiobooks. But every few years when I have a big drive ahead of me I try again. And I found one that I did end up enjoying:

Dusk or Dark or Dawn or Day by Seanan McGuire It's a ghost story, from the perspective of the ghost. The audiobook swept me away.

The only other audiobook I enjoyed was The Thousand-Dollar Tan Line ..... it is a spin-off from the TV show Veronica Mars, read by Kristen Bell (the actress who played Veronica Mars). That was pretty cool, but might not interest you if your not a Veronica Mars fan.

TheBohemianBookworm | 116 comments Cool thanks guys! I love seeing I am not the only one who is so picky with audiobooks. Now I have lots of choices.

message 17: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 184 comments Christopher Moore's work is quite good in audiobook format. A Dirty Job had me in stitches.

I also like audiobooks read by the author. Harlan Ellison is great at reading his work (mainly short stories), and there is an excellent edition of Ray Bradbury reading Fahrenheit 451, which, if you think about it, is the most appropriate way to experience a book about burning books.

message 18: by Keith (new)

Keith | 220 comments The 10th anniversary audio edition of Neil Gaiman's American Gods has multiple readers (including the author himself for some of the interludes) - it's probably the best audiobook I've listened to.