The Perks Of Being A Book Addict discussion

Girl, Interrupted
This topic is about Girl, Interrupted
ARCHIVE - BOTM discussions > Girl, Interrupted by Susanna Kaysen - November 2017

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 4820 comments Our nonfiction themed group read for November is Girl, Interrupted by Susanna Kaysen. Please discuss here and remember to use spoiler tags as needed, as everyone may start at different times and reads at different speeds.

Girl, Interrupted by Susanna Kaysen

First published in 1994. Reprinted and a bestseller in 2000 (due to movie based on the book).

In the late 1960s, the author spent nearly two years on the ward for teenage girls at McLean Hospital, a renowned psychiatric facility. Her memoir encompasses horror and razor-edged perceptions, while providing vivid portraits of her fellow patients and their keepers.

"Searing . . . captures an exquisite range of self-awareness between madness and insight."--Boston Globe.

message 2: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 4820 comments Oh, I'm glad you mentioned about the time line, Danielle. I did not know that.

message 3: by Stephanie (last edited Nov 01, 2017 04:25PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Stephanie | 163 comments I finished the book today while the kids were at school. :) I found it interesting and although I have seen the movie I found myself reading events that I do not quite recall. However that usually runs true with most books turned movies. I loved that even though the book was small it was thrilling enough to be a page turner. Girl, Interrupted is a memoir regarding Susanna Kaysen and her overall journey as a medical patient in her late teens. I agree with Danielle the book doesn't really follow a certain story line with chronological events but somehow covers some of it while being focused on her reflections and realization on what happened and why she ended up being institutionalized. I remember Suzanne saying at one point about "losing time." I think it was meant to give readers a sense of understanding how she felt at the time, losing control of herself in different forms; time, mentality, relationships etc.

Now after a month of putting in a reservation, a copy of Three Dark Crowns finally came in today. (Insert cheer and happy dance) Now it's just a matter of putting the kids to bed. :D

Catie Currie | 133 comments I'm not sure what I expected from this book, but it wasn't at all what I got. Don't get me wrong, it's a good book, I liked it, but there has been so much hype around it, it's almost legendary. There's been a movie, there's been spoofs and TV show episodes named after it, several books have mentioned it, it's the poster book for stories about mentally unstable people and I guess I just expected something that had such a huge impact to be more sensational and gripping. I was expecting more of a Shutter Island . I also somehow didn't realize it was about the author's life, I thought it was fiction, so that could have added to its being more subtle than I envisioned it would be-- real life is never as dramatic and intriguing as fiction. I'm still glad I read it though, even if it wasn't what I expected it to be :)

message 5: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 4820 comments Catie - I was surprised when I first saw that it was a memoir and not fiction too. I think that has changed my expectations a bit. I completely understand what you mean about all the hype. This book has been mentioned everywhere. It give it sort of an unrealistic status, I think.

Catie Currie | 133 comments Ok good, I'm glad you feel the same way Kristie, I'm not crazy haha