Paranormal Romance and Urban Fantasy Addicts discussion

General Discussion > Urban Fantasy Mystery: Do you like to solve them?

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Blackstream (jenniferblackstream) | 5 comments So I'm a sucker for a good whodunit. As I'm going about my life, happily consuming Urban Fantasy, it occurs to me that I'm leaning toward the series that focus around a crime that needs solved. Now, there are two types of books that fall into that category. There are the books that drop clues for the reader in accordance with the Oath of Detection Club ("Do you promise that your detectives shall well and truly detect the crimes presented to them using those wits which it may please you to bestow upon them and not placing reliance on nor making use of Divine Revelation, Feminine Intuition, Mumbo Jumbo, Jiggery-Pokery, Coincidence, or Act of God?") and then there are the books that make no such promise and are more of a story meant to carry the reader through on the back of the detective, with the reader being completely reliant on the investigator to solve the mystery with knowledge the reader could not possibly possess.

Both are entertaining. And certainly, sometimes I'm not in the mood to test my wits and take note of every detail and weigh it as a possible clue. But there are times I want to solve the mystery first.

How about you?

message 2: by Nerdy Werewolf (new)

Nerdy Werewolf (halogen) I love to be blindsided. I think it makes me appreciate the author more somehow? I like to have to set the book down for a minute and say "Wow. I did not see that coming!"

To be truthful, though, I'd probably make a terrible detective. ::grins:: I'm pretty good at spotting tropes, though...tropes will ruin a well-laid mystery every time!