Historical Romance Book Club discussion

The Ton > On Dit - what are you reading now?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 1,157 (1157 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 23 24

message 1: by Al George , Mod (new)

Al George  (georgieme) | 1575 comments Mod
Spill it, folks! Enquiring minds want to know what book(s) you're reading right now?

Are you enjoying it?

What made you decide to read it?

Is it part of a challenge?

Audio, ebook or the real deal?

I'm listening!
listening intentily

message 2: by Al George , Mod (new)

I'll go first:

Devil in Spring (The Ravenels, #3) by Lisa Kleypas - reading this to finish off a personal series challenge for 2017. That and the library finally took this off of hold! And it's an e-book. LOVING IT!

Feed (Newsflesh Trilogy, #1) by Mira Grant - audio book. I'm reading this for a Halloween challenge in another group. I needed a book with blood on the cover. It's kinda awesome although it gets super technical in places.

message 3: by Debby*BabyDee (last edited Oct 15, 2017 02:58PM) (new)

Debby*BabyDee | 598 comments Finishing up Crimson Frost (Mythos Academy, #4) by Jennifer Estep from another group read. Didn't read the previous books so it was a little hard to get into the novel it is an okay read so far.

Starting a new series The Raven Prince (Princes Trilogy, #1) by Elizabeth Hoyt by Elizabeth Hoyt

message 4: by Loriidae (last edited Oct 15, 2017 03:13PM) (new)

Loriidae | 1117 comments Currently reading A Good Rogue Is Hard to Find (The Lords of Worth, #2) by Kelly Bowen in our BR this group. Really enjoying it. We're at 79% and still haven't figured what the heroine is up to.

On audio I am listening to #6 Blood Trade (Jane Yellowrock, #6) by Faith Hunter Jane Yellowrock series. Fabulous UF.

message 5: by Lorien (new)

Lorien | 387 comments I'm not reading much HR right now, but I'm about to start Say Yes to the Marquess, by Tessa Dare for an October challenge I'm doing

message 6: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan130) | 1852 comments I'm keen to read the final Maiden Lane novel by Elizabeth Hoyt that is coming out tomorrow. Duke of Desire Duke of Desire (Maiden Lane, #12) by Elizabeth Hoyt Otherwise I've been reading the latest Nia Forrester book in her fantastic Commitment series (CR). The Takedown The Takedown by Nia Forrester . I really liked it. (But it's best to at least read The Come Up before that one.)

message 7: by Ursula (new)

Ursula (ursi) | 283 comments Are they very different from the Kylie Scott series Stage Dive, Jan?

message 8: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan130) | 1852 comments Yeah, quite different. I love this series. It's set in the US hip-hop industry, behind the scenes. So NOT MY SCENE! Weird, huh! But Nia Forrester is a fantastic writer. Her characters are real, grown-up, very human people with fascinating and complicated lives. The first one I read was The Come Up, and I really liked it, but I love the other books too. My favs are Afterwards and Afterburn. OMG I'm in love with Chris Scaife.

And I liked her Acosta books too. I know it's not HR, (well, you did ask, Ally, LOL) but more people need to read Nia Forrester.

message 9: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Golden | 150 comments Jan130 wrote: "Yeah, quite different. I love this series. It's set in the US hip-hop industry, behind the scenes. So NOT MY SCENE! Weird, huh! But Nia Forrester is a fantastic writer. Her characters are real, gro..."

Does her Commitment series have to be read in order?

message 10: by Ursula (new)

Ursula (ursi) | 283 comments Jan130 wrote: "Yeah, quite different. I love this series. It's set in the US hip-hop industry, behind the scenes. So NOT MY SCENE! Weird, huh! But Nia Forrester is a fantastic writer. Her characters are real, gro..."
They sound great- and I do like hiphop, weirdly enough. It's on in the house all the time (my kids) so I actually "get" a lot of it. Tho I am not a Kanye fan. LOL. I will definitely investigate this series. Thanks for the tip, Jan!

message 11: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan130) | 1852 comments Kathy wrote: "Does her Commitment series have to be read in order?"

Not necessarily. I actually randomly read The Come Up first, which is book #6. That was the book that hooked me in, then I went back to the prequels. But I guess for maximum enjoyment they should be read in order. Afterwards certainly should be read before Afterburn, and The Come Up should def be read before The Takedown.

Hope you enjoy. I love sharing fav authors with my book buddies. If any of you get as much enjoyment as I have from this series, that will be great! :)

message 12: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 364 comments I'm reading Lie by Moonlight (Vanza, #4) by Amanda Quick - it's cute!

message 13: by Al George , Mod (new)

Debby "Piene Raven" wrote: "Finishing up Crimson Frost (Mythos Academy, #4) by Jennifer Estep from another group read. Didn't read the previous books so it was a little hard to get into the novel it is an okay read so far.

Starting a new seri..."

Oh, Crimson Frost looks interesting. Are you liking it?

message 14: by Al George , Mod (new)

Loriidae wrote: "Currently reading A Good Rogue Is Hard to Find (The Lords of Worth, #2) by Kelly Bowen in our BR this group. Really enjoying it. We're at 79% and still haven't figured what the heroine is up to.

On audio I am listen..."

I really want to read this one after reading everyone's comments. And I seriously need to read the Jane yellowrock series.

message 15: by Al George , Mod (new)

Lorien wrote: "I'm not reading much HR right now, but I'm about to start Say Yes to the Marquess, by Tessa Dare for an October challenge I'm doing"

That's a good one!

message 16: by Al George , Mod (new)

Jan130 wrote: "IForrester book in her fantastic Commitment series (CR). The Takedown The Takedown by Nia Forrester. I really liked it. (But it's best to at least read The Come Up before that one.) ."

You've got me totally curious about her books....

message 17: by Al George , Mod (new)

Ursula wrote: "J Tho I am not a Kanye fan. LOL. I will definitely investigate this series. Thanks for the tip, Jan! "

Thank god for that. I was going to have to unfriend you if you were.

message 18: by Al George , Mod (new)

I'm attempting The Viscount Who Lived Down the Lane (Rhymes With Love, #4) by Elizabeth Boyle in audio. Had to stop at the halfway point today. Just needed a break from it.

Just started How the Marquess Was Won (Pennyroyal Green, #6) by Julie Anne Long . Fingers crossed.

Just started Magic Bites (Kate Daniels, #1) by Ilona Andrews which is a re-read for me.

message 19: by Ursula (new)

Ursula (ursi) | 283 comments Ally wrote: "Ursula wrote: "J Tho I am not a Kanye fan. LOL. I will definitely investigate this series. Thanks for the tip, Jan! "

Thank god for that. I was going to have to unfriend you if you were."

LOL. He is such an arrogant, shallow jerk. There are far better hip-hop artists who actually walk the talk.

Ally wrote: "Jan130 wrote: "IForrester book in her fantastic Commitment series (CR). The Takedown The Takedown by Nia Forrester. I really liked it. (But it's best to at least read The Come Up before that one.) ..."

message 20: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan130) | 1852 comments Haha. Believe me, I'm not a hiphop fan. Rarely listen to it or know much about it. (Except I have heard of Kanye..... I don't really live under a rock!) But it doesn't really matter in the least when reading these books. They totally stand up on their own as really well-written, interesting, engaging CRs. I'm rereading the series as we speak.

Have also started Duke of Desire. It's going OK so far. Big focus on the Lords of Chaos in this one.

message 21: by Ziacin (new)

Ziacin | 5 comments I'm reading one of the few Mary jo Putney's books I haven't red yet, The bargain...and once again I must admit that the story is compelling, characters are strongly defined and she is one of my favourite always!

message 22: by Jean (new)

Jean (readinggeniehistoricalrreviewer) | 7 comments Just finished reading "Fool Me Twice" by Meredith Duran. I don't like the cover. It was too fluffy for what the book was. It needed some dark Duke..handsome of coarse. I believe I read it because of the Title. Her story line was great. The detailed sex was unnecessary or it should have been toned down. I believe this is so because I can't really remember them...to me that means they were not needed and could have been described differently. It was a great story though... Loved the way she saved him and he saved her!!!Fool Me Twice

message 23: by Al George , Mod (new)

Ursula wrote: "LOL. He is such an arrogant, shallow jerk. There are far better hip-hop artists who actually walk the talk."

Right? Compare his stuff to someone like Kendrick Lamar and you're all "how exactly is it that you are famous?". Then there's his behavior in general...just ugh.

message 24: by Al George , Mod (new)

Jan130 wrote: "Haha. Believe me, I'm not a hiphop fan. Rarely listen to it or know much about it. (Except I have heard of Kanye..... I don't really live under a rock!) But it doesn't really matter in the least wh..."

Lol, ok, that made me laugh! I need to get a little further in the Hoyt series so I can read that one. If only they would go on sale or something.

message 25: by Al George , Mod (new)

Ziacin wrote: "I'm reading one of the few Mary jo Putney's books I haven't red yet, The bargain...and once again I must admit that the story is compelling, characters are strongly defined and she is one of my fav..."

She's on my to be read list. Can you believe I've never read any of her books. At least, not that I know of.

message 26: by Al George , Mod (new)

Jean wrote: "Just finished reading "Fool Me Twice" by Meredith Duran. I don't like the cover. It was too fluffy for what the book was. It needed some dark Duke..handsome of coarse. I believe I read it because o..."

You know, this is the one and only Meredith Duran I have read and loved! I tried a few others and just couldn't do it or did, but they were so, um, I guess busy would be a good word for it.

message 27: by Al George , Mod (new)

So what's everyone reading right now? Any new favorites?

message 28: by Priya (last edited Oct 23, 2017 03:11AM) (new)

Priya (priyachennareddy) | 1544 comments Mod
I borrowed Once Upon a Tower by Eloisa James from the library. This is the last of her fairytale retellings. So far, good. H is a Virgin and a Scot and I like that.

message 29: by Hailey (last edited Oct 23, 2017 06:34AM) (new)

Hailey Grant | 1 comments Just finished Twice As Wicked by Elizabeth Bright and I loved it! The hero was awkward/virgin/beta, which was a nice change from all the rakes and dukes (which I also love, don't get me wrong!). And it was surprisingly funny.

Now I'm moving on to something completely different: Duke of Desire by Elizabeth Hoyt. I really don't want to say goodbye to the Maiden Lane series. *sniffle*

message 30: by Debby*BabyDee (last edited Oct 23, 2017 07:16AM) (new)

Debby*BabyDee | 598 comments Ally wrote: "Debby "Piene Raven" wrote: "Finishing up Crimson Frost (Mythos Academy, #4) by Jennifer Estep from another group read. Didn't read the previous books so it was a little hard to get into the novel it is an okay read ..."

@Ally It was a good read although I should have started with books in series before this one. HR is my comfort zone so I decided to try a romantic suspense for a change Was quite different

message 31: by Debby*BabyDee (new)

Debby*BabyDee | 598 comments Priya wrote: "I borrowed Once Upon a Tower by Eloisa James from the library. This is the last of her fairytale retellings. So far, good. H is a Virgin and a Scot and I like that."

Priya I think you will like I audio'd and really enjoyed the listening

message 32: by Mariana (new)

Mariana | 2257 comments I am currently listening to The Black Hawk on my commutes.

I am reading Romancing Mister Bridgerton and Winter since the YA book is not holding my interest like the prior three books did.

I am also listening to Running Out of Time with my 6 year old daughter.

message 33: by Mariana (new)

Mariana | 2257 comments Hailey wrote: "Just finished Twice As Wicked by Elizabeth Bright and I loved it! The hero was awkward/virgin/beta, which was a nice change from all the rakes and dukes (which I also love, don't ge..."

I am going to add this to my list of books to read. Sounds like my type of hero!

message 34: by Al George , Mod (new)

Priya wrote: "I borrowed Once Upon a Tower by Eloisa James from the library. This is the last of her fairytale retellings. So far, good. H is a Virgin and a Scot and I like that."

How far into it are you?

message 35: by Al George , Mod (new)

Hailey wrote: "Just finished Twice As Wicked by Elizabeth Bright and I loved it! The hero was awkward/virgin/beta, which was a nice change from all the rakes and dukes (which I also love, don't ge..."

That sounds excellent. Will you be reviewing it?

message 36: by Al George , Mod (new)

Mariana wrote: "I am also listening to Running Out of Time with my 6 year old daughter.."

Love parents reading books with their kiddos!

message 37: by Kat, Baroness (in her own right) (new)

Kat Desi (katdesiwrites) | 480 comments Mod
Because I really enjoyed Lady Isabella's Scandalous Marriage, I continued on with the series. I'm up to The Seduction Of Elliot McBride and I'm stuck, like, I'm up to Chapter 4 and I'm not enjoying it at all! And, to anyone who's read this series, is it okay for me to skip this book?

message 38: by Kat, Baroness (in her own right) (new)

Kat Desi (katdesiwrites) | 480 comments Mod
Ally wrote: "I'm attempting The Viscount Who Lived Down the Lane (Rhymes With Love, #4) by Elizabeth Boyle in audio. Had to stop at the halfway point today. Just needed a break from it.

Just started [bookcover:How the Marquess Wa..."

I adore the Pennyroyal Green series! :) I don't think I've read the last book yet though!

message 39: by Priya (new)

Priya (priyachennareddy) | 1544 comments Mod
Ally wrote: "Priya wrote: "I borrowed Once Upon a Tower by Eloisa James from the library. This is the last of her fairytale retellings. So far, good. H is a Virgin and a Scot and I like that."

..."

They got married just now and Layla(heroine's mother) left to visit her parents. At this point, I am more interested in Layla than the MCs😬

message 40: by Al George , Mod (new)

Kat wrote: "I adore the Pennyroyal Green series! :) I don't think I've read the last book yet though!." I still have three or four to go. May have to break down and pay full price *shudders*

message 41: by Al George , Mod (new)

Priya wrote: "They got married just now and Layla(heroine's mother) left to visit her parents. At this point, I am more interested in Layla than the MCs😬"

That's not a good thing. not at all.

message 42: by Al George , Mod (new)

I'm just starting The Lady Travelers Guide to Scoundrels & Other Gentlemen (The Lady Travelers Society, #1) by Victoria Alexander . Fingers are crossed.

message 43: by Ursula (last edited Oct 24, 2017 07:10PM) (new)

Ursula (ursi) | 283 comments That's one I had my eye on, Ally. Good luck! I just finished At the Christmas Wedding for some goodfeels. And I got them (no Sherry Thomas Angst here). Got it for the Caroline Linden and Katherine Ashe stories, too. They were all sweet, but I liked Ashe's the best. These girls regularly put together anthologies under the moniker The Lady Authors. Girl Power!

message 44: by Ursula (new)

Ursula (ursi) | 283 comments Ally wrote: "Jean wrote: "Just finished reading "Fool Me Twice" by Meredith Duran. I don't like the cover. It was too fluffy for what the book was. It needed some dark Duke..handsome of coarse. I believe I read..."

So you didn't like A Lady's Code of Misconduct? It's one of my favourites.

message 45: by Sha (last edited Oct 24, 2017 07:59PM) (new)

Sha | 122 comments I like to think of my reading choices as a seesaw between romance and SF/F. Because that's how I feel about it emotionally.

The romance end is occupied by
1. Delicious. I adore Verity so much. But I'm halfway through and getting really freaking impatient about the reveal delay. This is just needless and artificial plotting tension.
2. The Duke's Holiday. Re-read. Exactly as funny and irrelevant as I remember it being the first time around. Prose is a little clunky, but the characters more than make up for it.
3. Hamilton's Battalion: A Trio of Romances: Slowly working my way through the first story.

SF/F has
1. Remember the Dust and The Brightest Fell, both lovely books I was forced to stop halfway through because of irl issues and am struggling to pick back up again.
2. Malice, for a buddy read. I have barely started this one.
3. Humans Wanted

Others, placed precariously at the centre of the seesaw;
1. Deadly Class #1
2. The Mystery of the Pantomime Cat (mutters vaguely about reading challenges due in October)
3. Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind. At the rate I'm going I'll probably finish this one in 2019.

message 46: by Al George , Mod (new)

Ursula wrote: "That's one I had my eye on, Ally. Good luck! I just finished At the Christmas Wedding for some goodfeels. And I got them (no Sherry Thomas Angst here). Got it for the Caroline Linde..."

That one sounds so good!

message 47: by Al George , Mod (new)

Ursula wrote: "So you didn't like A Lady's Code of Misconduct? It's one of my favourites..."

I did not try it. After dnf'ing two of her books and barely finishing a third (all on the heels of a five star Meredith Duran read), I gave up.

message 48: by Al George , Mod (new)

Sha wrote: "I like to think of my reading choices as a seesaw between romance and SF/F. Because that's how I feel about it emotionally.

The romance end is occupied by
1. Delicious. I adore Ve..."

Great list of reads. I am so craving Hamilton's Batallion right now!

message 49: by Debby*BabyDee (new)

Debby*BabyDee | 598 comments Just started my read of How to Lose a Duke in Ten Days (An American Heiress in London, #2) by Laura Lee Guhrke How to Lose a Duke in Ten Days by Laura Lee Guhrke

message 50: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 123 comments Reading Ten Ways to Be Adored When Landing a Lord (Love By Numbers, #2) by Sarah MacLean and enjoying it quite a bit...I had heard mixed reviews

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 23 24