What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Emile and the Dutchman (Metsada Mercenary Corps, #2)
This topic is about Emile and the Dutchman
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > "The dutchman and I" or "The duke and I"? old sci-fi

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Thomas (new)

Thomas Mills | 2 comments I read this book about 15 years ago, and it looked like an old paperback from the 70s/80s.

The book is a sci-fi and it centers on a man (unnamed I think) who is working as a rookie officer/trainee (agent?) For a government agency that determines first contact policy

The rookie officer is paired with a cheap cigar smoking wine drinking maverick called either The Duke, or The Dutchman. The book follows them around on several first contact missions (4 I beleive) in which both characters have to make questionable ethical calls about the treatment of other species. The book ends with the main character also becoming a cigar smoking maverick and accepting his first rookie officer

Mankind is extremely xenophobic due to a massive unexplained attack on earth which resulted in the destruction of random cities (i think the characters in the book at one point speculate about why parts of earth were attacked and others weren't). Because of this humanity has no hesitation about exterminating other species, even if they are primitive and wouldn't be threatening for thousands of years.

Sadly there are only a few details that stand out.
1. The book mentions Germanium as the method in which faster than light travel is possible. (I think it's Germanium-32 and was found on accident or reverse engineered)
2. At one point they allow a teammate to die because of his emerging psionic talent. (This was because his psionic power was attracting aggressive aliens or he would be arrested by the government)
3. It's mentioned the United Earth government has a policy of aggressive expansion to find the species that originally attacked Earth.
4. The cover of the book I read had a fat short man in a silver space suit in the bottom right corner, he had either a revolver or a futuristic pistol in his hand, and is smoking a cigar. Above him and in center cover is a taller man, blonde hair also holding a similar looking pistol.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

message 3: by Thomas (new)

Thomas Mills | 2 comments Ayshe wrote: "Emile and the Dutchman by Joel Rosenberg seems likely?"

That's the book! Thanks very much!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Emile and the Dutchman (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Joel Rosenberg (other topics)