This topic is about Little Fires Everywhere
2017 Spine of the Month > October 2017 - Little Fires Everywhere

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jamise (spinesvines) | 72 comments Mod
October Spine of the Month

Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng

Guidelines:
1. Please discuss Little Fires Everywhere here. This forum open for discussion at any time. You don't have to wait until the end of the month to chat about the book.

2. Remember to add *SPOILER* at the beginning of your comment should it reveal any plot element which will give away important details or outcomes. Everyone may start at different times and read at different speeds.

3. If Discussion Questions are listed, feel free to answer as many as you wish to spark conversation with members.

4. Please remain courteous and respectful of members and their opinions.

If you've previously read this book selection, please feel free to engage & share your thoughts.

Irene | 297 comments Finished this yesterday. I really like Ng's writing style. There is something so comfortable about It, like wearing those favorite, perfectly broken-in shoes, so exactly molded that you no longer are aware of their presence. I am soon unaware of the words on the page and am fully engaged in the unfolding narrative. And I think Ng does a fantastic job teasing out complex relationships between family members. But, this one just had too many coincidences. I realize that fact is often stranger than fiction, that every story relies on things coming together in a certain way. But there is a point where the plot starts to bend under the weight of too many forced convergences. And I felt that happened in this novel. One or two or three, sure, I can accept that. But this relied too heavily on those unlikely turns. I won't mention anything specific because I don't want to spoil it for those who have not read it yet. I was also thought that Izzy was not adequately explained, her chronic anger seemed more necessary to the story line than an organic quality of the character.

message 3: by Jamise (last edited Oct 24, 2017 10:16AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Irene wrote: "Finished this yesterday. I really like Ng's writing style. There is something so comfortable about It, like wearing those favorite, perfectly broken-in shoes, so exactly molded that you no longer a..."

I have 6 chapters left in this book. I agree, I love Ng's writing style. It's comfortable and easy going.

Irene | 297 comments Look forward to discussing it with you when you finish.

Irene | 297 comments Did you ever finish it? Would love to discuss it.

Irene wrote: "Did you ever finish it? Would love to discuss it."

I have not. Hope to finish this weekend. I'm at the point where the mom is visiting Mia's parents.

Irene | 297 comments OK, eager to read your thoughts. Looks as if the two of us are the only ones reading this month's book.