2-3-4 Challenge discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.

Comments Showing 1-50 of 69 (69 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 10627 comments Mod
Here are the nominated series grouped by genre. We ended up with five groups/genres for consideration. Please take a look and let me know if they’re categorized appropriately.

I’m thinking everyone gets one vote in each genre but you don’t have to vote in all if you don’t want to. We will need multiple rounds for the mystery & fantasy categories. In the final voting round, we’ll have three categories: Mystery, Fantasy & All Others. Let me know what you think of this voting structure.

Thanks in advance for your input and for the robust nomination process!

Mystery/Suspense/Thriller
D. I. Kim Stone by Angela Marsons
Logan McRae by Stuart MacBride
Shetland Island by Ann Cleeves
Simon Serrailler by Susan Hill
Dublin Murder Squad by Tana French
Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James by Deborah Crombie
Grant County/Will Trent by Karin Slaughter
Tony Hill & Carol Jordan by Val McDermid
Kate Burkholder by Linda Castillo
Lucas Davenport by John Sandford
Sharpe & Donovan by Carla Neggers
Jane Whitfield by Thomas Perry
Dave Robicheaux by James Lee Burke
John Rain by Barry Eisler
Monkeewrench by PJ Tracy
Graveyard Queen series by Amanda Stevens
Rizzoli and Isles by Tess Gerritsen
The Enzo Files by Peter May
Jack Caffery by Mo Hayder

Romantic Suspense
Lost by Cynthia Eden
Redstone Securities by Katie Reus
No Evil/Lucy Kincaid by Allison Brennan
Kathleen Turner by Tiffany Snow
Buchanan-Renard by Julie Garwood

Historical/Historical Mystery
Gaslight Mystery by Victoria Thompson
Sister Frevisse by Margaret Frazer
Pink Carnation by Lauren Willig

Contemporary Romance
Chesapeake Diaries
The Weekday Brides by Catherine Bybee
Bleeding Stars by A. L. Jackson

Fantasy/UF
Chicagoland Vampires by Chloe Neill
Black Dagger Brotherhood by J. R. Ward
Psy-Changeling by Nalini Singh
Sabina Kane by Jaye Wells
Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas
The Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare
Deverry by Katharine Kerr
Tales of the Otori by Lian Hearn
Chronicles of Elantra by Michelle Sagara
Realms of the Elderlings by Robin Hobb
Kate Daniels by Ilona Andrews
Jessica McClain by Amanda Carlson
Shifters by Rachel Vincent
Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard
October Daye by Seanan McGuire
Allie Beckstrom by Devon Monk

message 2: by Eadie (new)

Eadie (eadieburke) | 99 comments Nice voting process. I'm going to vote just for the mystery.

Lucas Davenport by John Sandford

I've been wanting to read this series for awhile.

message 3: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (trakka) | 1363 comments Looks great to me!

Are we voting here or will polls be set up? Thanks Jonetta!

message 4: by Andrew (new)

Andrew (ajb65) | 58 comments What a great list of Mystery and Suspense Series. 1 vote, 😂😬 It may take me years to narrow that lot down to 1 vote. Going away to put my thinking hat on.

message 5: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 4125 comments Mod
1 vote per category sounds right.
Thanks for your hard work, Jonetta :)

message 6: by Jonetta (new)

Yes, I’ll be setting up the polls today after allowing for feedback. Hold your votes for now!

message 7: by Jo Ann (new)

Jo Ann (jojog) | 54 comments What a great list! Going to be tough to make a selection. Thanks for all your time in setting this up, Jonetta!

message 8: by Jo Ann (new)

Jo Ann (jojog) | 54 comments crazy suggestion - what if each person gets 3 votes to use however they choose, but can only vote for a specific book series once.

message 9: by Jonetta (new)

Those were the previous rules. When we switched to voting by genre, that became impossible.

message 10: by Jonetta (last edited Oct 15, 2017 06:45AM) (new)

I’m giving some thought to how we handle the multiple rounds for the Mystery & Fantasy categories. Jo Ann, your suggestion is how I’d planned to handle that round of voting.

Obviously, the preponderance of nominations were in those two genres so we are guaranteed that two of the three series will be from there. I just think that the third series should come from the genres that will be collapsed into one. That way, we will get a nice mix.

So! Bottom line, you’ll have three votes to use as you choose to whittle down the Mystery & Fantasy lists. I promise you it will be clear once the voting starts:)

message 11: by Jo Ann (new)

Jo Ann (jojog) | 54 comments Jonetta wrote: "I’m giving some thought to how we handle the multiple rounds for the Mystery & Fantasy categories. Jo Ann, your suggestion is how I’d planned to handle that round of voting.

Obviously, the prepon..."

Sounds great!

message 12: by Karen ♐ (new)

Karen ♐ (kmk1214) | 440 comments Wow, what a list!

message 13: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 2238 comments Great Jonetta. Waiting for the polls to open. !!

message 14: by Jonetta (new)

I’ll get started setting them up.

message 15: by Charlene (new)

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 601 comments This should be interesting :-)

message 16: by Angela (new)

Angela | 749 comments Great list Jonetta. I'm looking forward to seeing what series win.

message 17: by Phrynne (new)

Phrynne | 289 comments Looks good. It is great how many nominations you got!

message 18: by Jonetta (last edited Oct 15, 2017 01:52PM) (new)

Okay. A slight change in the voting process. Jo Ann was onto something.

There are 19 series in the Mystery/Suspense/Thriller category and 16 in Fantasy/UF. If we allowed only one vote in each of those categories, we run the risk of not having a clear winning 5 to advance to the final round. So, here are the number of votes each member has:

Mystery/Suspense/Thriller: 3 (three separate polls are set up; top 5 of the combined polls advance to the final round)
Fantasy/UF: 2 (two separate polls are set up; top 5 of the combined polls advance to the final round)
Romantic Suspense: 1 (top 2 advance to the final round)
Historical/Historical Mystery: 1 (winner advances to the final round)
Contemporary Romance: 1 (winner advances to the final round)

You may only vote for a series one time in this round. If you cast more than one, only one vote will count and you will forfeit your other vote(s). If you have any questions, post them here.

The polls are ready! Voting ends at 12 midnight EST on October 23.

Here’s the link:

https://www.goodreads.com/poll/list/1...

message 19: by Christina T (new)

Christina T (crysteena73) | 528 comments Thanks for doing all of this Jonetta. Your organizational skills are impressive!

message 20: by Jonetta (new)

Thank you, Christina! It helped having the football games on in the background:)

message 21: by Christina T (new)

Christina T (crysteena73) | 528 comments Got my votes in. I kind of thought it was cut and dry for me as I nominated specific series for a reason and I ended up voting for nothing I actually nominated LOL. There were too many I have either already bought and had in the wings or ones I already started and stopped at book 2 or have been meaning to get to for 500 years. I didn't vote in the historical/historical mystery because other than one author I'd never heard of the rest of them. And the author I do know and have a couple books out of the series I have no idea where they are. My suspicions are the books are in boxes still in either the attic or the storage facility. I really need to downsize my physical books (yikes...can't believe I actually said that!) I have 6 book cases that are 5 shelves each (over 6 feet tall) full of books, books in drawers, books in stacks next to book cases, and 40 odd boxes here and there. If it were anything other than books I'd say I have a hording issue LOL. I normally don't keep them after I read them though, so that's something. I just don't read fast enough....yeah that's my problem.

message 22: by Jonetta (new)

Lol! No comment, Christina:)

message 23: by Lauren (new)

Christina T wrote: "If it were anything other than books I'd say I have a hording issue LOL."

I'm jealous!

message 24: by Christina T (new)

Christina T (crysteena73) | 528 comments LOL Lauren....I suppose if this is the worst thing I have going I'm doing pretty good in life.

message 25: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (trakka) | 1363 comments Christina T wrote: "My suspicions are the books are in boxes still in either the attic or the storage facility. "

I am glad it's not just me with the attic (or loft as we call it) problem :-)

message 26: by Lieke (new)

Lieke | 1066 comments Hard choice only two from fantasy :)

I don't have that problem at all Christina...... okay maybe a little bit.... ok maybe a bit more then a little..... never mind ;)

message 27: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 1631 comments I voted but it was hard to choose! I kept waffling between several options.

message 28: by Anita (new)

Anita (anitanodiva) | 2362 comments Christina, I feel your pain. I've got 1690 books on my "to read" shelf. I either own these or have ready access via the library to them. By the way - I missed the dead line to nominate a series. My bad :(

message 29: by Angela (new)

Angela | 749 comments It was really hard to decide what to vote for in the categories. There's just so many wonderful choices.

message 30: by Monica (new)

Monica | 860 comments I couldn't even remember which series I nominated because so many of the nominations are on my TBR. I practically just closed my eyes and pointed. I figured I couldn't go wrong with any of the choices.

message 31: by Jonetta (new)

Just a reminder that voting ends tonight at 12:00 midnight EST. Also, if you’ve voted more than once for a series, only one vote will be counted and the others disqualified.

message 32: by Monica (new)

Monica | 860 comments I just had to go check that I hadn't done that, lol. I'm excited to see what we choose.

message 33: by Jonetta (new)

Monica wrote: "I just had to go check that I hadn't done that, lol. I'm excited to see what we choose."

Lol! Only one member has done that so far.

message 34: by Robin (new)

Robin (robinmy) | 2236 comments Monica wrote: "I just had to go check that I hadn't done that, lol. I'm excited to see what we choose."

I'm excited too. It was really hard to narrow down my choices. Lots of good ones.

message 35: by Jonetta (new)

We have a three-way tie for 5th place in the Fantasy/UF genre. I’m posting a 24-hour tie breaker poll before setting up the final polls.

In the meantime, here are the series that have advanced to the final round:

Mystery/Suspense/Thriller
1. Rizzoli & Isles (13 votes)
2. Dublin Murder Squad (8 votes)
3. Shetland Island (7 votes)
4. D. I. Kim Stone (7 votes)
5. Kate Burkholder (7 votes)

Fantasy/UF
1. Throne of Glass (9 votes)
2. Kate Daniels (8 votes)
3. Chicagoland Vampires (8 votes)
4. The Mortal Instruments (6 votes)
5. (TBD)

Mixed Genres
1. Gaslight Mystery (19 votes)
2. Kathleen Turner (8 votes)
3. Lost (7 votes)
4. Chesapeake Diaries (12 votes)

message 36: by Jonetta (new)

The tie breaker poll is up!

https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

message 37: by Jonetta (new)

And the winner of that final Fantasy/UF spot is Realms of the Elderlings!

The polls are now ready for the final round of each category. Cast your votes now as the polls will close at 12 midnight on November 1.

Here’s the link: 2018 Series Group Read Voting - Final Round (3 Polls)

message 38: by Lieke (new)

Lieke | 1066 comments I voted for Realms of the Elderlings in the tie breaker, but now I don´t know what to vote for in the final....

Still in doubt if I will vote on another poll, I know I can borrow at least the first three books in the Rizzoli & Isles series from my mother.

message 39: by Jonetta (new)

It’s so very tough! You all did such a great job in the nominations process that we're now struggling to make a final decision.

My advice to you and everyone else is to only vote for the series you’re willing to read and participate in the book discussions. I haven’t seen the problem here but definitely have in other groups where those voting are never active in the ensuing discussions. It’s okay, however, if you can’t keep up but eventually add to the discussions. Reading monthly may not work for everyone but our experience over the past two years is whenever someone joins the discussion later, the others jump back in:)

Hope this helps!

message 40: by Angela (new)

Angela | 749 comments Lieke wrote: "I voted for Realms of the Elderlings in the tie breaker, but now I don´t know what to vote for in the final....

Still in doubt if I will vote on another poll, I know I can borrow at least the firs..."

I have this problem too. Though I ended up voting for Kate Daniels as it's a series I've started and would like to finish.

message 41: by Sharmon (new)

Sharmon (tpgirl) | 251 comments Jonetta wrote "My advice to you and everyone else is to only vote for the series you’re willing to read and participate in the book discussions. I haven’t seen the problem here but definitely have in other groups where those voting are never active in the ensuing discussions. It’s okay, however, if you can’t keep up but eventually add to the discussions. Reading monthly may not work for everyone but our experience over the past two years is whenever someone joins the discussion later, the others jump back in:)"

I agree. I try not to vote unless I am really going to try and read the selection because I don't want to sway the vote if I am not going to participate. This group is great about jumping back into the threads if you get behind. I got really behind in the Cork O'Connor series (due to a library issue) and everyone here was so encouraging and even offered to help me get the book. This is a great group.

message 42: by Viki (last edited Oct 26, 2017 08:49AM) (new)

Viki (vikir) | 638 comments I voted for three series that I am excited to read. I am glad to hear that if you are behind in reading you can still jump back into the threads as I really want to read some of the other series.

message 43: by Jonetta (new)

And the winners are:

1. Rizzoli & Isles by Tess Gerritsen
2. Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas
3. Gaslight Mystery by Victoria Thompson

I’ll open the topics later.

message 44: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (trakka) | 1363 comments Excellent! I will join in for Rizzoli & Isles. Finally a push to start this series!

message 45: by Lieke (new)

Lieke | 1066 comments I'm going to put the Throne of Glass series on my Christmas list :)

message 46: by Monica (last edited Nov 03, 2017 09:18AM) (new)

Monica | 860 comments Yay! I voted for Rizzoli & Isles and Throne of Glass. I think I'll join in for Gaslight Mystery, too though.

I have all of the books from Throne of Glass. Looks like I need to start building up my mystery and suspense library ;)

message 47: by Monica (new)

Monica | 860 comments Tracey wrote: "Excellent! I will join in for Rizzoli & Isles. Finally a push to start this series!"

Right?! I've had this on my TBR for a long time, too.

message 48: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissasd) | 1307 comments Jonetta wrote: "And the winners are:

1. Rizzoli & Isles by Tess Gerritsen
2. Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas
3. Gaslight Mystery by Victoria Thompson

I’ll open the topics later."

This makes me so happy! I've got all the Rizzoli & Isles books and have wanted to start the other two series.

message 49: by Lauren (new)

I'm in for Throne of Glass and Gaslight Mysteries.
I've read all of the Rizzoli & Isles books except for the last one, but will pop into the threads to comment.

message 50: by Veronica (last edited Nov 03, 2017 01:46PM) (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 1631 comments I'm in for the Gaslight Mysteries (reread for me) and Rizzoli and Isles. I'm not big on YA so I'll pass on that one. Two series reads is probably all I can handle anyway.

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.