Comments Showing 1-50 of 135 (135 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - added it

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 8082 comments Mod
Jan 20th, 2018

American Gods

American Gods by Neil Gaiman

message 2: by Ahdam (new) - added it

Ahdam (snowlocke) | 2409 comments I'll try to join this one since I'm hoping to read this book then watch the tv series have you guys watched the tv series yet? Is it any good?

Saar The Book owl | 1900 comments No, I hope they'll will show it on tv (I don't live in America). I'll hope you can join.

Hacen | 881 comments I might join yall for this. I've been wanting to do a reread.

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7591 comments Saar wrote: "No, I hope they'll will show it on tv (I don't live in America). I'll hope you can join."

It was an Amazon original in the UK, so it was only available on Amazon Prime.

message 6: by Ahdam (new) - added it

Ahdam (snowlocke) | 2409 comments I thought it would be available everywhere on Amazon guess I'm lucky to have Amazon student then haha

message 7: by Lundos (new) - added it

Lundos | 392 comments In...

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7591 comments Ahdam wrote: "I thought it would be available everywhere on Amazon guess I'm lucky to have Amazon student then haha"

I think it probably is, just didn't want to presume! I don't pay for prime though. Will download it at some point. Been putting off watching it because I loved the book so much...

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7591 comments Neil Gaiman worked closely on the tv show so I'm assuming it will be good though!

message 10: by Vuk (new) - rated it 5 stars

Vuk (wolfient) | 44 comments I'll also try joining in. I'm looking forward to reading this book with such a lovely community.

Saar The Book owl | 1900 comments Siobhan wrote: "Saar wrote: "No, I hope they'll will show it on tv (I don't live in America). I'll hope you can join."

It was an Amazon original in the UK, so it was only available on Amazon Prime."

Ah, I didn't know that.

Timelord Iain | 14947 comments I'll join this... I liked reading Norse Mythology this week (altho it was short)

Neil Gaiman is a pretty good narrator... and it made his foreword about telling your own mythology stories around a campfire pretty apt...

Saar The Book owl | 1900 comments @Iain: 'Norse mythology' is on my TBR - pile. So much to read, so little time...

Timelord Iain | 14947 comments @Saar: tell me about it... recently I feel like all I'm doing is struggling to squeeze random reads in between scheduled Buddy Reads...

message 16: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller | 7053 comments Mod
I had to start limiting myself. I like Scott's method of only 3 or 4 per month. Of course, then the group goes and schedules 10 more series I want to start lol. Vicious cycle. But the last thing I want is burnout.

message 17: by Saar The Book owl (last edited Oct 23, 2017 11:08AM) (new) - added it

Saar The Book owl | 1900 comments @Iain: I share that feeling.

@Niki: does that even exist a 'reading burn - out'? The horror! No, seriously, I'll start limiting too. I have other books that I read and that are not for the groups, but I love the fun and the enthousiasm of the group. And not to forget, the interesting recomondations.

Timelord Iain | 14947 comments I'm trying Niki (and failing)... we'll see what happens... I've decided I can't handle too many dark fantasies where a lopsided number of good guys die all the time every month...

Timelord Iain | 14947 comments @Saar: Reading burnout to me, is when sticking with a book that isn't holding your interest lowers the amount of reading you are doing in a week/month...

message 20: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

It's more scheduling burnout than reading burnout (reading burnout is blasphemy lol). If I get to many at once then I'm rushing through the books and not enjoying them. And lately I've had 5-10 books going at once because things keep overlapping. I can't handle the chaos!!! Lol

Iain, I'm interested to see how your new year goes with all of those scheduled. Be sure to read some fluff too so you're not totally book depressed lol.

message 21: by Ahdam (new) - added it

Ahdam (snowlocke) | 2409 comments I tend to have 3 books a month usually spaced on the 1st 15th and the 20th since I can easily read that and I hope to get one month with either nothing or one book that I can read the book I want myself

Timelord Iain | 14947 comments @Niki: I don't start multiple books like you do... I only read one audiobook at a time... and when I make time, one kindle book as well... no more

I have, actually, been getting a decent amount of side-books read lately... mostly because they go so much faster comparatively...

Since the 9th, Malice (The Faithful and the Fallen, #1) by John Gwynne & Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2) by John Gwynne have taken up about half my reading time... but in the other half I've read The Short Victorious War (Honor Harrington, #3) by David Weber Field of Dishonor (Honor Harrington, #4) by David Weber Flag in Exile (Honor Harrington, #5) by David Weber Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman When Maidens Mourn (Sebastian St. Cyr, #7) by C.S. Harris

It's just that my next Buddy Read is constantly on my mind, and how many free days I have until then... at least all my BRs have made me stop thinking about Malazan so much like I was back in August when I signed up for my first BRs...

message 23: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

One at a time would be ideal. I just get too impatient. I'm hoping once I get my incomplete series down to a manageable number it won't stress me out as much and I'll be able to focus more. Having that many books going simultaneously drives me nuts. But I keep doing it. It's a sickness.

Saar The Book owl | 1900 comments Iain wrote: "@Saar: Reading burnout to me, is when sticking with a book that isn't holding your interest lowers the amount of reading you are doing in a week/month..."

Yes, I agree on that and personally for me I bite myself into a book and eventually I stop and think it was a waiste of time reading the book.

@Niki: Oh, yes, always that schedule...I write down what I will read before the new month start, but I can't hold on to my schedule. If I read a book, then I think about the others I wan't to read. I need a better plan ;)

Mostly I start reading about 4 or 5 books: one for my bedroom, one downstairs, one for in my backpack, one at work...

message 25: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

Haha yeah - location is definitely a huge factor! I've one for waiting rooms on my phone, another specifically for the tub (easy to hold?), etc.

I'm actually trying to stick to a plan this month for the first time in a long while. We'll see how it goes lol.

Timelord Iain | 14947 comments I sign up for too many Buddy Reads, then the month comes and I try to stick to them all... in between each Buddy Read I like to read/listen to an unscheduled/unplanned book (at the moment I'm working through the Sebastian St. Cyr historical mystery series)... sometimes if there's more time between Buddy Reads I'll binge something (like I did with Honor Harrington in October)... some things inevitably fall by the wayside, but I make decent progress on my plans...

In October I read or tried 6 of the 7 books I planned... added 10 other books... never made it to any of my Maybes...

Saar The Book owl | 1900 comments @Niki: I'll hope your plan will work. I'm trying to make my own now.

I'm was doubting: is 'American Gods' part of a serie or is it a stand alone? Somewhere I've read about it being a serie.

message 28: by Siobhan (last edited Nov 03, 2017 12:29PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7591 comments Anansi Boys is roughly a sequel, but really both are stand alone. A character in Anansi Boys is in American Gods but the plot doesn't overlap at all.

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7591 comments Oh and there's a couple of American Gods short stories/novellas available on kindle. I haven't read them yet.

Saar The Book owl | 1900 comments Thanks for the clarification, Siobhan.

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7591 comments No problem at all! :)

message 32: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah | 494 comments Interested, but not officially committing as of right now. I'll have to wait and see how things are going closer to then.

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3340 comments I read this book earlier this year because I wanted to get it done in time for the TV show. I got the book done but still haven't gotten around to watching the show. That might be a good thing because enough time will have passed so that I'll be hazy on some the details and the inevitable changes for the show might not bug me so much.

I won't have time to reread but I'll follow the discussion.

message 34: by Sha (new)

Sha | 1522 comments Maaaaaybe. I couldn't really get into it the first time I read it, bt Gaiman is hit or miss for me.

message 35: by Chris (new) - added it

Chris (murphy44) | 706 comments Siobhan wrote: "Ahdam wrote: "I thought it would be available everywhere on Amazon guess I'm lucky to have Amazon student then haha"

I think it probably is, just didn't want to presume! I don't pay for prime thou..."

Saar wrote: "No, I hope they'll will show it on tv (I don't live in America). I'll hope you can join."

So, I have an app on my tablet called Showbox where you can stream just about anything created. That's where I do most of my movie and tv watching now since it's free! Just thought that I'd let you know so you can check it out.

MorteTorment(Unofficial World's Fastest Reader) | 385 comments Read the preview. I'm so in!

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7591 comments MorteTorment(Unofficial World's Fastest Reader) wrote: "Read the preview. I'm so in!"

Hope you enjoy! I can't wait to follow the discussion with you all, wish I had time to reread.

Saar The Book owl | 1900 comments Chris wrote: "Siobhan wrote: "Ahdam wrote: "I thought it would be available everywhere on Amazon guess I'm lucky to have Amazon student then haha"

I think it probably is, just didn't want to presume! I don't pa..."

I think I have something similar. Hm, need to look it up.

message 39: by dianis. (new)

dianis. | 65 comments I hope to be able to join this one!

Alice | 36 comments This one has been on my TBR all year. I will try to join as well if I manage to finish all the other ones that I already started.

message 41: by Olivia (new) - added it

Olivia (vinjii) | 1055 comments I've tried to read this one twice already and gave up both times. I might join in with the audio book this time and take it a bit slower!

Nyssa | 158 comments I'm currently reading American Gods and just learned that there was a buddy read scheduled. It's taking me longer to finish than I first estimated but I hope to complete it by the end of the week.

I look forward to discussing the story with everyone... It has been oddly compelling thus far.

Nyssa | 158 comments Nyssa wrote: "I'm currently reading American Gods and just learned that there was a buddy read scheduled. It's taking me longer to finish than I first estimated but I hope to complete it by the end of the week.
..."

I finished this yesterday. It was an unusual experience.

Saar The Book owl | 1900 comments @Nyssa: What are you're first thoughts of it?

Nyssa | 158 comments Saar wrote: "@Nyssa: What are you're first thoughts of it?"

This was my 2nd attempt reading American Gods.

From what I can gather, I was distracted the first time around, and just couldn't get into or stay with the story.

This time was a clean read; I understand why it had to have all of my attention; a lot is going on both written and behind the scenes.

It took me until the end of the novel to understand Shadow's role (which I may or may not be right about), but I enjoyed it overall.

My review.

Virginie | 5795 comments Will join in with the audiobook. I look forward to the discussion :)

message 47: by Lundos (last edited Jan 13, 2018 07:33AM) (new) - added it

Lundos | 392 comments So, I read chapter 1 and some part of chapter 2.

Shadow:
So far not so much to write home about. I still have no idea about Shadow except he doesn't talk much. (view spoiler)

Hooker
(view spoiler)

Wednesday
I have no thoughts about him so far.

Timelord Iain | 14947 comments I'm planning to read this on audiobook as well, or should I say audioplay... there's a full cast 10th anniversary edition...

I'll be starting closer to the 20th... still got a bunch of other buddy reads between now and then...

Nyssa | 158 comments Lundos wrote: "So, I read chapter 1 and some part of chapter 2.

Shadow:
So far not so much to write home about. I still have no idea about Shadow except he doesn't talk much. [spoilers removed]

Hooker
[spoilers..."

Shadow: He won't talk much..for the rest, he'll get there, but very slowly. His progression is interesting and odd as it unfolds. It took the entire story for me to understand his purpose, and I'm still not 100% sure I'm right.

Hooker: Actually, no I can't say anything about her. Its one of those you have to read/discover it for yourself kind of things.

Wednesday: Will be explained soon.

I think my keyword for this entire novel would be: Patience.
There is a need to go with the flow, or you might end up so frustrated at times you want to throw the book across the room.

message 50: by Lundos (new) - added it

Lundos | 392 comments I got patience. Well, at least during the weekend.

Just wanted to get the thread rolling again.

« previous 1 3