21st Century Literature discussion

The Glass Room
This topic is about The Glass Room
2017 Book Discussions > The Glass Room - comparison with Visitation (Spoilers Allowed) (Oct 2017)

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Hugh (bodachliath) | 2594 comments Mod
We chose this book partly because our other October read Visitation is a similar story, focusing on a building as it passes through the turbulent history of 20th century central Europe. So I thought we should create a separate space for anyone who has read both to allow a free discussion of the comparison.

Jill (jillreads) | 17 comments I’m only on page 157 of the Glass Room, but I feel like the writing is very different in these two books. When I read Visitation I almost felt as though I was entering another world completely. Jenny Erpenbeck’s writing, at least in Visitation and The End of Days, is almost poetic and has an otherworldliness about it which I love.
The Glass Room is interesting so far but feels very similar to many other novels written about this time period so far.

For me Visitation is much more meditative and profound...

LindaJ^ (lindajs) | 2306 comments I am almost finished with Glass Room. It seems to me to be a straight forward historical novel. I did not get the same sense of place as I did with Visitation. The emphasis in the Glass Room is on the characters rather than the place. While I am enjoying the Glass Room, I have not been drawn into the book as I was with Visitation. I agree, Hugh, that Visitation is much more meditative and profound. The Glass Room lacks the complexity and layers of Visitation.

message 6: by Lily (last edited Oct 16, 2017 02:26PM) (new) - added it

Lily (joy1) | 2465 comments LindaJ^ wrote: "Here are some reviews and other things about the book I found --

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gla...."

I don't get a viable site from this link. Did you find one to which it led?

Sorry, Linda. Discovered I just have to strip the final punctuation from your links and they work just fine.

message 7: by Lily (last edited Oct 16, 2017 02:43PM) (new) - added it

Lily (joy1) | 2465 comments LindaJ^ wrote: "Here are some reviews and other things about the book I found --.....
http://rickyyates.com/villa-tugendhat......"

I really enjoyed the pictures here.

Thanks Linda - there is some overlap with the links I posted on the background/general no spoilers thread, which is really a better place for them...

Beverly | 141 comments While I am only up to page 99 in The Glass Room, I definitely feel a difference in the two books.

I agree with what was been said about Visitation being more profound and meditative and felt much more drawn into the time and place. I actually could feel the changes in the seasons and the love of the land.

Another difference I am feeling is that in Visitation it always felt like a "home" to me - there was a warmth about the house. The house to me in The Glass Room feels "cold". While I understand it architectural showcase, it does have a "homey" feel - everything about seems staged.

I do not know if this will turn by the time I am finished with The Glass Room, but I felt that the "house" in Visitation was definitely as much a "character" as the inhabitants of the house.

With The Glass Room, the house feels less of a "character" but just a place and the people characters would be the same no matter where they lived.

LindaJ^ (lindajs) | 2306 comments Hugh wrote: "Thanks Linda - there is some overlap with the links I posted on the background/general no spoilers thread, which is really a better place for them..."

Yes, it is the apropriate place and where I thought I had put them. When I saw your links, I wondered what happened to mine! Now I know. I’ll move any you have not linked and delete the entry when I am accessing GR with a device other than my phone!