21st Century Literature discussion

The Glass Room
This topic is about The Glass Room
2017 Book Discussions > The Glass Room - second half and whole book (spoilers allowed) (Oct 2017)

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Hugh (bodachliath) | 2716 comments Mod
This topic is for discussion of the events of the book from the chapter "Lanik" onwards (page 191 in the Abacus paperback), and for discussion of the whole book. Spoilers are allowed, so please don't read this if you don't want to see them.

LindaJ^ (lindajs) | 2354 comments I found the first and second halves very different. The first half felt like a separate novel -- one about the original family. But for the brief appearances of Leisl, her daughter, Kati's daughter, and, for a bit longer, Hana, the second half felt more like the story of the glass room than the first half. In the first half, the glass room provides a contrast to the actions of the original family, Hana, and Kati -- the room was transparent while the people were all hiding things and covering up. I found Hana to be the most interesting character. The German doctor was the most detestable, while Viktor was the weakest.

Beverly | 142 comments I have finished the book and I would have to agree with LindaJ.

I did enjoy the first half more than the second half - and maybe it was because the two second sections took different approaches.

I was glad the majority of the story took place in "Czechoslovakia" and while I "knew" about the factual history this book gave me a more intimate feel for those who lived in this place and time.

Beverly | 142 comments I do have one question.

At the end when Liesel meets up with Hana and Hana asks what happens to Katalin - Liesel says Katalin and her daughter stayed behind in France.

I wondered if this was Liesel just once again ignoring the "seriousness" of the situation as she seems to have done throughout her life or if she actually had a part in Katalin being held behind?

I also wondered if Viktor's boating accident was a suicide.

Hugh (bodachliath) | 2716 comments Mod
Thanks to those of you who contributed to this discussion - I am sorry it failed to attract more interest. As always the discussion threads will remain open beyond the end of the active discussion period.