Christian Theological/Philosophical Book Club discussion

Theology Forums needs more Christians!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 69 (69 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Miss Polymath (new)

Miss Polymath (essyk) | 23 comments Hi, I don't know if it's against the rules to promote on here (please tell me if it is), but I joined this Christian forum recently that I personally love and that is fairly new and needs more members to make it a vibrant community. It's a wonderful place but it IS strict in banning any members who display mean-spirited attitudes. So if anyone is interested in joining, please be careful not to be hateful or proud and merely join to bash personal theology over the head of others. It's designed for mutual, loving discussion between Christians who have differences and I find it has great people to interact with to make discussion worthwhile.

The link is: http://www.theologyforums.com

Thanks, guys.

message 2: by Rod (new)

Rod Horncastle Very difficult to have: mutual and loving and discussing ---- in a group that calls itself Christian.

Why? Because any serious Christian see's theology as Truth. God's truth revealed in His Word.

Soooo, the real problem is deciding who in the group is actually a Real Christian. Often, all those really friendly and inclusive Cults and Liberal heretical false teachers, will claim victim status and have the One Actual Christian removed because they side with the hateful exclusive deity of the Bible who dares to say there's only One way to His Actual Kingdom. How Rude and offensive to the masses of other spiritual seekers. Their Jesus would never have such hateful rules.

Elijah and Peter And Paul and Ehud would be kicked out of most Christian internet groups. Jesus would be on a three month waiting list to maybe get in.

message 3: by Tom (new)

Tom Rothbauer | 36 comments It is interesting how one man's theology is another man's arrogance. It seems that an open discussion of various theologies would be appropriate in this group - at least that was the indication in the group definition.

message 4: by Franny (new)

Franny Burd | 1 comments And attitudes like Rod's are exactly why I refrain fro joining such groups. I was intrigued, and for a moment considered joining. Until I read the inevitable post slamming Christians. You are absolutely right, Tom. A discussion of various theologies is obviously needed. However, I doubt the ability of some to refrain from statements such as the one above, and I'm too old to spend my time defending myself and my religion.

message 5: by Tom (new)

Tom Rothbauer | 36 comments I think that God may be bigger than we think He is. If we remain open to Him and His Word, we might come to know Him better - at least, that is my hope and my prayer.

message 6: by Wade (new)

Wade J. | 177 comments I think the problem is centered on where on the web of our faith does the issue being discussed lie? If it's a third or fourth level issue - like the timing (or existence) of the rapture, then arguing can become unnecessarily silly. On the other hand, if it's about the supremacy of Christ and the bible, then heresy will (and should) be confronted, head-on.

message 7: by Robert (new)

Robert Dallmann (robert_dallmann) | 1569 comments Quoted from the home page of this group:

The primary guidelines for this group are a sincere love for the true God of the Bible and a commitment to relying on the Word of God (the Bible) as the ultimate authority for all spiritual truth.

message 8: by Tom (new)

Tom Rothbauer | 36 comments Robert wrote: "Quoted from the home page of this group:

The primary guidelines for this group are a sincere love for the
true God of the Bible
and a commitment to relying on the
Wor..."

Thank you Robert. I am happy to say that I have a sincere love for the true God of the Bible and that I am committed to relying on His Word. I just see Him and His Word as being more than most Christians seem to.

message 9: by Robert (new)

Robert Dallmann (robert_dallmann) | 1569 comments Tom wrote: "I just see Him and His Word as being more than most Christians seem to. ..."

My response: You see God as CONTRARY to the Bible, His Word.

message 10: by Robert (new)

Robert Dallmann (robert_dallmann) | 1569 comments John 14:6 - "Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me."

John 3:18 - "He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God."

Mark 13:22 - "For false Christs and false prophets shall rise..."

Salvation is found NOWHERE ELSE than in the TRUE Christ of the Bible!

message 11: by Tom (new)

Tom Rothbauer | 36 comments Robert wrote: "John 14:6 - "Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me."

John 3:18 - "He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth n..."

Hi Robert.
Just for curiosity, if someone were to ask you: What do you mean when you say that Jesus is the Son of God? How would you reply?

message 12: by Wade (new)

Wade J. | 177 comments The Holy Spirit - part of the triune God - conceived Jesus in Mary's womb. Jesus is fully man and fully God. There is no one like Him. For orthodox Christianity, this is not negotiable.

message 13: by Robert (new)

Robert Dallmann (robert_dallmann) | 1569 comments Tom wrote: "Hi Robert. Just for curiosity, if someone were to ask you: What do you mean when you say that Jesus is the Son of God? How would you reply? ..."

John 3:16 - Jesus is the ONLY BEGOTTEN Son of God. Which by definition means He is one of a kind... one of the same kind.

How do you define Jesus as the Son of God?

message 14: by Tom (new)

Tom Rothbauer | 36 comments Wade wrote: "The Holy Spirit - part of the triune God - conceived Jesus in Mary's womb. Jesus is fully man and fully God. There is no one like Him. For orthodox Christianity, this is not negotiable."

great, thanks for your reply.

message 15: by Tom (new)

Tom Rothbauer | 36 comments Robert wrote: "Tom wrote: "Hi Robert. Just for curiosity, if someone were to ask you: What do you mean when you say that Jesus is the Son of God? How would you reply? ..."

John 3:16 - Jesus is the ONLY BEGOTTEN ..."

Thank you Robert. I appreciate your willingness to engage in a conversation about our faith. For me, Son of God could mean many things. I used to think that God and Mary were His parents. I no longer see that as a possibility. I have, at times, thought that Son of god was another title that referred to Jesus as the Messiah, a synonym for 'The Anointed One'. As Peter said: "You are the Messiah, the Son of God." I currently think that it may be a term that speaks of Jesus as being so much like God that He could be considered the Son of God. It could mean that he was a man who embodied the holy Spirit of God and possessed some of the unfathomable power, knowledge and wisdom of God. For me, it is a mystery that I hope to have revealed one day.

message 16: by Robert (new)

Robert Dallmann (robert_dallmann) | 1569 comments Tom wrote: "I currently think that it may be a term that speaks of Jesus as being so much like God that He could be considered the Son of God. ..."

My response: Salvation is found ONLY IN THE TRUE JESUS … false christs offer false salvations.

I strongly recommend that you come to know the one TRUE Jesus... the Christ of the Bible !

All others will lead you to hell.

message 17: by Robert (new)

Robert Dallmann (robert_dallmann) | 1569 comments Tom wrote: "For me, it is a mystery that I hope to have revealed one day. ..."

My response: You need to embrace the mystery of the TRUE Gospel.

God the Father called Jesus, God... If God says Jesus is God... JESUS IS GOD

Jesus' disciples called Jesus, God... If the apostles say Jesus is God... JESUS IS GOD

message 18: by T.R. (new)

T.R. Bosse | 20 comments "Tom wrote: "For me, it is a mystery that I hope to have revealed one day. ..."

Tom you no longer have to wait - that is the title of my book and it answers every question concerning the Trinity. It is backed by not only Scripture, but the real reason the Trinity was a mystery for centuries - technology was never available to allow us to realize the complete answers. It took me a total of seventeen years to compile everything, but like most, they do not believe it could ever be revealed because it was a mystery for over 2000 years. Its out there, but I would never attempt to force it on anyone. I have even been called names by so-called Christians for even suggesting such a thing, but as the Lord said: "Forgive them ..."

message 19: by Tom (new)

Tom Rothbauer | 36 comments Robert wrote: "Tom wrote: "For me, it is a mystery that I hope to have revealed one day. ..."

God the Father called Jesus, God... If God says Jes..."

Thank you Robert. Hope your day is a good one.

message 20: by Tom (new)

Tom Rothbauer | 36 comments T.R. wrote: ""Tom wrote: "For me, it is a mystery that I hope to have revealed one day. ..."

Tom you no longer have to wait - that is the title of my book and it answers every question concerning the Trinity...."

Thank you T.R, What is the title of your book? I would like to check it out.

message 21: by T.R. (new)

T.R. Bosse | 20 comments Tom Wrote: Thank you T.R, What is the title of your book? I would like to check it out.

Hi Tom. The title is "The Mystery of the Trinity Revealed" (Oct. 2017).

Because it is a new revelation, there are many things we never knew before in there. For instance the Blood, the Virgin Birth, the sin-nature, the Ascension, the two genealogies of Jesus, the seed of the woman, the Pure Seed, just to name a few.

If you decide to get it, be sure to read the last three chapters that tie in everything together and provide the full revelation. It is only in paperback right now and available everywhere. I think Cokesbury.com has a good price if you should decide to get it.

message 22: by Tom (new)

Tom Rothbauer | 36 comments T.R. wrote: "Tom Wrote: Thank you T.R, What is the title of your book? I would like to check it out.

Hi Tom. The title is "The Mystery of the Trinity Revealed" (Oct. 2017).

Because it is a new revelation, th..."

T.R., your blurb does sound interesting but I always want to check out the author's writing style and get a feel for the content before buying. You might benefit by adding the 'look inside' feature. That said, I will probably still buy it, just because it is you. I wish you the best of luck and many blessings.

message 23: by Tom (new)

Tom Rothbauer | 36 comments Robert wrote: "Tom wrote: "For me, it is a mystery that I hope to have revealed one day. ..."

God the Father called Jesus, God... If God says Jes..."

Good morning Robert. It is about 5am on Sunday morning and I have been reflecting on your comment about the TRUE Gospel. When Jesus started His mission, He said "Repent and believe in the Gospel". This was long before the 4 gospels were written. What was that Gospel that Jesus was speaking of? What TRUE Gospel does Jesus want us to believe in? What was the TRUE Gospel that Jesus taught?

message 24: by Robert (new)

Robert Dallmann (robert_dallmann) | 1569 comments The true Gospel is the message that the men Jesus taught preached

100% of the post resurrection evangelis all preached the same

message 25: by Robert (new)

Robert Dallmann (robert_dallmann) | 1569 comments It is clearly stated in 1 Cor. 15:1-4

message 26: by Tom (new)

Tom Rothbauer | 36 comments Robert wrote: "It is clearly stated in 1 Cor. 15:1-4"

Yes, Jesus offered His life for us, he died and He was resurrected to a new life. It was a wonderful proof that God's proclamation about life after death was true. However, that came long after Jesus started His ministry saying "Believe in the Gospel". He had not yet died, and likely did not preach that message - so back to my original question - what Gospel did Jesus proclaim?
I would truly love to hear what different Christians understand the Gospel of Jesus' ministry to be. In fact, I believe that if we do not understand what Jesus taught, we can never share His TRUE Gospel. This question is for all who visit this site, so please reply.

message 27: by Wade (new)

Wade J. | 177 comments Isaiah 7 and 52/53 come into play, here. The Messiah was prophesied throughout the O.T. Many were slow to recognize the fulfillment of the prophesies.

Jesus, is, was, and always will be. He simply brought that message in-person.

message 28: by Robert (new)

Robert Dallmann (robert_dallmann) | 1569 comments Tom wrote: "However, that came long after Jesus started His ministry saying "Believe in the Gospel". ..."

My response: It appears that you have a very weak view of God. You seem to think He is in bondage to time.

Hebrews 13:8 - "Jesus Christ the same yesterday , and to day , and for ever ."

Revelation 13:8 - "And all that dwell upon the earth shall worship him, whose names are not written in the book of life of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world."

message 29: by Robert (new)

Robert Dallmann (robert_dallmann) | 1569 comments Tom wrote: "I would truly love to hear what different Christians understand the Gospel of Jesus' ministry to be...."

My response: Honestly, who cares about the opinions of people? 100% of the evangelistic preaching done by the men that Jesus personally taught was all the same Gospel .

That is the Gospel that is God's power unto salvation...

...feel free to dabble in false gods and false gospels.

I fully intend to believe and preach the same message that ALL the apostles proclaimed.

message 30: by Tom (new)

Tom Rothbauer | 36 comments Wade wrote: "Isaiah 7 and 52/53 come into play, here. The Messiah was prophesied throughout the O.T. Many were slow to recognize the fulfillment of the prophesies.

Jesus, is, was, and always will be. He simpl..."

… so Jesus was the Messiah that God had promised to send. Yeah, He proclaimed that to the woman at the well.

message 31: by Tom (new)

Tom Rothbauer | 36 comments Robert wrote: "Tom wrote: "However, that came long after Jesus started His ministry saying "Believe in the Gospel". ..."

My response: It appears that you have a very weak view of God. You seem to think He is in ..."

I am beginning to see why people are turned away from our Christian faith. Jesus invited everyone to follow Him and he gently encouraged any small amount of faith to grow. He truly embodied Isaiah's prophecy: "A bruised reed he will not break, and a dimly burning wick he will not quench." We should do likewise.

message 32: by Robert (last edited Aug 12, 2018 02:50PM) (new)

Robert Dallmann (robert_dallmann) | 1569 comments Tom wrote: "I am beginning to see why people are turned away from our Christian faith. Jesus invited everyone to follow Him and he gently encouraged any small amount of faith to grow..."

My response: I would prefer to tell people the TRUTH and have them reject it and walk away... than to tell them a LIE and have them embrace it, and have a false sense of security.

NOPE! Jesus presented ONLY ONE way of salvation... Himself. He was NOT tolerant of false gods and false gospels.

We should preach like Jesus and those that He trained...
_________

Jesus preaching...

Luke 13:31-32

31 The same day there came certain of the Pharisees, saying unto him, Get thee out, and depart hence: for Herod will kill thee.

32 And he said unto them, Go ye, and tell that fox , Behold, I cast out devils, and I do cures to day and to morrow, and the third day I shall be perfected.
_________

Peter preaching...

Acts 2:23 - "Him, being delivered by the determinate counsel and foreknowledge of God, ye have taken, and by wicked hands have crucified and slain :"

message 33: by Robert (last edited Aug 13, 2018 07:10AM) (new)

Robert Dallmann (robert_dallmann) | 1569 comments Tom wrote: "Jesus invited everyone to follow Him and he gently encouraged any small amount of faith to grow ..."

My response: How about this one from Jesus?

Matthew 23:33 - "Ye serpents , ye generation of vipers , how can ye escape the damnation of hell ?"

Jesus was not very gentle with false teachers !

message 34: by Tom (new)

Tom Rothbauer | 36 comments You have a point. Jesus speaks harshly of people who have misunderstood and misapplied God's Word.
So, how do we understand these apparently contradictory passages? Do we believe one and dismiss the other? It seems that picking and choosing what part of God's Word we wish to accept would not be our best approach or in our best interest.

message 35: by Robert (new)

Robert Dallmann (robert_dallmann) | 1569 comments Tom wrote: "So, how do we understand these apparently contradictory passages? Do we believe one and dismiss the other?..."

My response; I believe every Word from God. The entire Bible is true.

Context is the KEY!

The passage you referenced from Isaiah is NOT teaching us about how God deals with false prophets and teachers . It is addressing how God deals with those who are repentant .

Bruised reed = a broken reed.

He is speaking of broken, repentant people. Not those filled with pride proclaiming a false god or false doctrines... those who give a false sense of security.

message 36: by Tom (new)

Tom Rothbauer | 36 comments Thank you Robert. Unfortunately, people of each different Christian denomination believe that they have the Truth and regularly profess something different from what other Christians profess. Does that make them wrong? Is your denomination the only one who knows the Truth?
For curiosity, are you, Wade, T.R. and I the only people who are currently visiting this page?

message 37: by Robert (new)

Robert Dallmann (robert_dallmann) | 1569 comments Tom wrote: "Thank you Robert. Unfortunately, people of each different Christian denomination believe that they have the Truth and regularly profess something different from what other Christians profess. Does ..."

My response: Lets start with what should be obvious.

Is the Koran wrong? The Hindu holy books, are they wrong? What about the Satanic bible, is it wrong?

message 38: by Tom (new)

Tom Rothbauer | 36 comments So, you don't want to answer the question. I see.
Hope you have a great day.

message 39: by Robert (last edited Aug 13, 2018 10:15AM) (new)

Robert Dallmann (robert_dallmann) | 1569 comments Tom wrote: "So, you don't want to answer the question. I see.
Hope you have a great day."

My response: Of course I do. But I want to start with the easy stuff . It is you who CANNOT answer.

The answer to your question is... the BIBLE is the TRUTH !

Now answer my questions.

message 40: by Tom (new)

Tom Rothbauer | 36 comments As a lifelong and active Christian who loves the Word of God, I have come to realize that God is bigger than we Christians proclaim. In the early years of Christianity, there was a widespread belief that the God of Christians was different than the God of Jews. Fortunately, some wise and holy men in our church recognized the error in that belief and proclaimed it to be heresy. I suspect that we too, in our day, have misunderstood God in much the same way and that at our Judgment Day, the Truth will be revealed.

message 41: by Robert (new)

Robert Dallmann (robert_dallmann) | 1569 comments Tom wrote: "As a lifelong and active Christian who loves the Word of God, I have come to realize that God is bigger than we Christians proclaim. In the early years of Christianity, there was a widespread belie..."

My response: So, you are incapable of answering my questions.

You see to serve a false god who can only offer a false salvation.

I KNOW the TRUTH now and will not wait!

Jesus tells us that the Holy Spirit will lead us into all truth... you want to face the Judge without knowing the truth...

THAT IS SCARY. I will be praying for you.

message 42: by Wade (new)

Wade J. | 177 comments I have a question for Tom. Do you believe the God of the bible is the same as Allah of Islam?

message 43: by Tom (new)

Tom Rothbauer | 36 comments Thank you, Robert. I will pray for you as well.

Hi Wade. Thanks for this wonderful question.
I didn't mention it before, but I have been an avid reader of the Holy Bible for nearly 50 years and am certain that it is the Word of God. I have led Bible Study and Scripture Discussion groups for many of those years. After having recently read the Qur'an a few times, I am certain that there is only One God and He is the God of Judaism, Christianity, and Islam - and He has given all of us His same Word. I am also certain that our God is the God of the Bahai faith - the newest monotheistic religion. Having not read the holy books of many other religions, I can't address them, but I believe that there is only One God, so it is very likely that He is their God as well - He just reveals Himself to them in different ways. I think it is to our detriment that we (in all religions) put limits on God.

message 44: by Robert (new)

Robert Dallmann (robert_dallmann) | 1569 comments Tom wrote: "I am certain that there is only One God and He is the God of Judaism, Christianity, and Islam - and He has given all of us His same Word..."

My response: Sad to say, at the final Judgment... you are going to be on the wrong side of the Great Judge. God.

The God of Islam is NOT the same God as found in the Bible. (Just ask a Muslim if Allah is the same as the Biblical God.)

message 45: by Robert (new)

Robert Dallmann (robert_dallmann) | 1569 comments Tom wrote: "but I believe that there is only One God, so it is very likely that He is their God as well ..."

The Bible teaches that there are many false gods and false christs… sadly, you stand in opposition to the Word of God.

message 46: by Wade (new)

Wade J. | 177 comments Tom ... The God of Islam cannot be the God of the bible for one simple reason (among many, many others). Think of what Jesus said in the Lord's prayer - "Our FATHER, who art in heaven ..." This is a confirmation of passages from the Old Testament. Yahweh has a relationship with His children - one of being a father (for those who choose Christ).

One thing is certain about Islam. Allah is NOT their father. If Allah and God/Yahweh are the same God, how can you reconcile this enormous difference? It it totally illogical and without any reason to try to blend religions which have diametrically opposed doctrines and claims. And Ba'Hai is nothing but a nineteenth century latecomer to a humanistic attempt at synchronization.

Jesus was hung on a Roman cross for your sins. I recommend you not insult His sacrifice by trying to reconcile spiritual "square pegs" and bring together something Jesus won't tolerate - false religions. The first commandment is to not have any other gods before the real God. When you try to do this, you incite God's righteous wrath as the only creator and God.

Read John 14:6 and Acts 4:12 and see (very emphatically) that Jesus (God among us - Immanuel) is the only way. Not Allah, not Muhammad, not Joseph Smith, not the Watchtower Society, and not any human being who uses a misguided (though emphatic) attempt to save those who follow false religions by telling them they worship the same God. It's simply not true.

I pray God will open your eyes to His only truth. it's not my truth, it's not Robert's truth, it's THE Truth - Jesus Christ.

message 47: by T.R. (last edited Aug 13, 2018 06:55PM) (new)

T.R. Bosse | 20 comments After having recently read the Qur'an a few times, I am certain that there is only One God and He is the God of Judaism, Christianity, and Islam - and He has given all of us His same Word. I am also certain that our God is the God of the Bahai faith - the newest monotheistic religion.

Hi Tom,
I was going to try to stay out of this, but this is in my book also with everything in the book backed by Scripture so no one could refute it.

I also mentioned the fact that Islam is not of the Abrahamic covenant a couple times on this forum. Abraham was named Abram when he fathered Ishmael. God changed his name to Abraham and even Sarai's name to Sarah right before he fathered Isaac. God did that to be sure there was no mistaking through whom the covenant would be established. Even though Abram was Ishmael's father, he was father of the Arabs not Muslims. Arabs can be any religion they want to be, including Christians. Also, Islam believes that Jesus was derived from Adam. That would mean Jesus inherited original sin. How could He save us if He also was a sinner? And how could the blood of Jesus cleanse us from our sins if He inherited the same type of blood from Adam that we also have inherited?

I could almost write another book on this, but I don't think so. Also, the Bahai religion does not believe Jesus rose from the dead - that is one of the conditions needed to be saved in (Romans 10:9&10). I wish I could say these other religions were saved, but they are not until they make Jesus their only way to the Father. As it stands, only Judaism shares the same Holy Book with Christianity and some day soon God is going to go back to the Jew and bring them back into the fold (Romans 11:25&26). Hang in there Tommy, we have all got a lot to learn, even if we have been at it for many years.

message 48: by Tom (new)

Tom Rothbauer | 36 comments Thank you Wade. I will pray for you also.

message 49: by Robert (new)

Robert Dallmann (robert_dallmann) | 1569 comments Tom wrote: "I didn't mention it before, but I have been an avid reader of the Holy Bible for nearly 50 years and am certain that it is the Word of God...."

1 Corinthians 2:14 - "The natural person does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are folly to him, and he is not able to understand them because they are spiritually discerned."

50 years... 500 years of reading the Bible will NEVER make sense to those who are spiritually dead!

Tom has accepted a false god and false Jesus and relies on his intellectual prowess to get to know about god.

Matthew 7:23 - "And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you : depart from me, ye that work iniquity."

message 50: by Tom (new)

Tom Rothbauer | 36 comments Hi T.R. We truly do have much to learn.
Your 'how could' questions are wonderful. Let me add a few more. How could God become man? How could God love anyone who does not proclaim that Jesus is the Son of God? How could God love any of us sinners? How could God be the God of Judaism, Christianity and Islam? How could God …? The truth is that we cannot know the answers to questions like these because none of us has the mind of God.
We are very good at repeating what we have been taught, but what do we really 'know'? Scripture says: God's thoughts are so high above our thoughts and God's ways are so high above our ways. Only God knows.
Our Holy Scripture also tells us that God will teach us Himself. How could we close our ears to God's Holy Spirit that is working within us, teaching us things that we have not been taught? … or do you deny God's continuing revelation and presence in our lives?

« previous 1