Our Shared Shelf discussion

Intersectional Feminism > Indigenous/Aboriginal Feminism(s)

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ross (new)

Ross | 1444 comments Kharoll-Ann wrote: "Hello,

I am looking for books on indigenous/aboriginal feminism(s) in the Canadian context. I am already aware of Making Space for Indigenous Feminism by Green. What are the other major authors/co..."

I have a friend very interested in this subject I will talk with her and get you some feedback this is a subject that has increasing relevance as intersectional feminist look to an even greater inclusiveness. The plight of indigenous women across the world has been little reported let alone addressed.

message 2: by MeerderWörter (new)

MeerderWörter | 2388 comments So, finally, I have time to reply here.

I don't know if it is feminist, but I plan on reading the following ones:
Indigenous Writes: A Guide to First Nations, Métis, and Inuit Issues in Canada by Chelsea Vowel, you can find her on Twitter here: @apihtawikosisan (but beware, she doesn't hold back).

Then I plan to read Lakota Woman by Mary Crow Dog. She sadly has passed away already, but I am sure she will always be remembered by her People. She was a member of the American Indian Movement, and she was involved in the siege at Wounded Knee, South Dakota in 1973. It is there that she got a new name - Brave Woman.

Then I also plan to read a book by Russel Means, who sadly also has passed away already. Where White Men Fear to Tread: The Autobiography of Russell Means is a book I look really forward to reading. This man has character, watch this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVANR...

And one final one that I want to read:
Prison Writings: My Life Is My Sun Dance by Leonard Peltier.

It is important to walk through life with an open mind and to listen. To listen is more important than to speak when you have to learn. And we have to learn an awful lot.

message 3: by MeerderWörter (new)

MeerderWörter | 2388 comments And about Wounded Knee, which to this day is being sung about:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqxMs...

message 4: by MeerderWörter (new)

MeerderWörter | 2388 comments MeerderWörter wrote: "So, finally, I have time to reply here.

I don't know if it is feminist, but I plan on reading the following ones:
[book:Indigenous Writes: A Guide to First Nations, Métis, and Inuit Issues in Cana..."

Okay, I think I can give a little update here regarding the books:
I read Lakota Woman already, and while it is not a book about feminism, I think it is important to read, as it opens ones eyes to the plight of Native Americans... (and there are some references to feminism... damn, that woman really spoke her mind)
About Indigenous Writes, I am reading this one right now, and I must say this one too is not feminist per se... but I would rather see it as a prerequisite in order to be a feminist in Canada... you first have to understand the people you live with better, before you can help them/anyone, in order to not harm them even more although you maybe had good intentions... And again, it does touch topics that can be seen as feminist... Indigenous feminism is different from White Feminism, which is logical if you think about the history of white women and women of colour... different treatment, different goals, different means...