The island in our hearts buddy read group discussion

Book suggestions

Comments Showing 1-50 of 78 (78 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Other than V.E schwab, which author should we read?
Are there others we have in common of not having read? Probably?

I want to read Terry Pratchett, and P.G. Wodehouse

message 2: by ;; (new)

;; (sheisreadingg) Oda wrote: "Other than V.E schwab, which author should we read?
Are there others we have in common of not having read? Probably?

I want to read Terry Pratchett, and P.G. Wodehouse"

Never read any books by these authors too!

message 3: by ;; (new)

;; (sheisreadingg) I'd like to read Leigh Bardugo and Cassandra Clare

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Cri (Addictedtobookss) wrote: "I'd like to read Leigh Bardugo and Cassandra Clare"

I have read both of those, but with Mary in the group there is a precedence for rereading.

message 5: by Leona (new)

Leona  Petrovic (uknownothingjonsnowohohohoh) I would be fine with either Leigh Bardugo and Terry Pratchet. I have Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents on hand and I should be buying Six of Crows soon. Idk if I can participate in the V. E. Schwab one because I don't have any books of hers at the moment :(

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Leona wrote: "I would be fine with either Leigh Bardugo and Terry Pratchet. I have Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents on hand and I should be buying Six of Crows soon. Idk if I can participate in the V. E...."

You could always use the library?

Jacob the Bookworm (jacobthebookworm) | 3 comments What Schwab book will we be reading first? THe only one I have is This Savage Song

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Jacob ~Bookish Hufflepuff~ wrote: "What Schwab book will we be reading first? THe only one I have is This Savage Song"

We havent decided yet. it all started on a update a few hours ago so details arent clear yet.

Jacob the Bookworm (jacobthebookworm) | 3 comments Oda wrote: "Jacob ~Bookish Hufflepuff~ wrote: "What Schwab book will we be reading first? THe only one I have is This Savage Song"

We havent decided yet. it all started on a update a few hours ago so details ..."

Ok

message 10: by Leona (new)

Leona  Petrovic (uknownothingjonsnowohohohoh) Oda wrote: "Leona wrote: "I would be fine with either Leigh Bardugo and Terry Pratchet. I have Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents on hand and I should be buying Six of Crows soon. Idk if I can participat..."

@Oda,
my library doesn't have any of hers either and I'd feel super bad for asking for some because I recently requested 3 books and I don't want to be obnoxious. If I do have any of her books on hand I will definitely participate, but if not maybe for the next buddy read.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Leona wrote: "Oda wrote: "Leona wrote: "I would be fine with either Leigh Bardugo and Terry Pratchet. I have Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents on hand and I should be buying Six of Crows soon. Idk if I ca..."

Dont worry. I imagine we wount start it "tomorrow" we will probably a) decide on book b) some time in the future read the book. I mean there isent a real hurry. Giving people time to get the book seems reasonable.

message 12: by Leona (new)

Leona  Petrovic (uknownothingjonsnowohohohoh) Oda wrote: "Leona wrote: "Oda wrote: "Leona wrote: "I would be fine with either Leigh Bardugo and Terry Pratchet. I have Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents on hand and I should be buying Six of Crows soo..."

Okay great!

Carrie (brightbeautifulthings) (brightbeautifulthings) I'd love to read more Schwab and Terry Pratchett. I'm always down for re-reading though, so I'd be happy with Bardugo and Clare too! I didn't read the Grisha trilogy or the Infernal Devices.

I've never read any Sabaa Tahir, and I have a ton of Neal Shusterman on my TBR.

message 14: by Anna (new)

Anna Wayland (annabonaparte) | 21 comments Other than VE I think it would be cool to read Nevernight! It's been all over the place lately and I'm excited to read it

message 15: by ;; (new)

;; (sheisreadingg) Jacob ~Bookish Hufflepuff~ wrote: "What Schwab book will we be reading first? THe only one I have is This Savage Song"
Me too!

message 16: by ;; (new)

;; (sheisreadingg) Carrie (brightbeautifulthings) wrote: "I'd love to read more Schwab and Terry Pratchett. I'm always down for re-reading though, so I'd be happy with Bardugo and Clare too! I didn't read the Grisha trilogy or the Infernal Devices.

I've ..."

Never read any Sabaa Tahir's books too.

message 17: by Joana (new)

Joana  | 49 comments Anna wrote: "Other than VE I think it would be cool to read Nevernight! It's been all over the place lately and I'm excited to read it"

Yesss, me too. I have actually already read nevernight and absolutely loved it but I would be down for a reread

⋆✩ Mary ✩⋆ (marya28) | 104 comments I’m open to try out new books & do rereads.

I’ve only read Six of crows duology by L. Bardugo: I need to read the Grisha trilogy since shes coming out with a book for Nikolai Lantsov and omfg when that news came out everyone was so hyped up and I couldn’t relate much cuz he was only on crooked kingdom for a bit. 🤦🏻‍♀️

I also wanna try out Nevernight, I’ve been meaning to but I always get so intimidated 😂

message 19: by Joana (last edited Oct 15, 2017 01:54AM) (new)

Joana  | 49 comments Mary wrote: "I’m open to try out new books & do rereads.

I’ve only read Six of crows duology by L. Bardugo: I need to read the Grisha trilogy since shes coming out with a book for Nikolai Lantsov and omfg whe..."

I need to read the Grisha trilogy, as well. I read the first book but I never continued on with the series for some reason. And, same, when I heard the mes about Nikolai, I had the urge to finish out the series

As for Nevernight, I was a bit intimidated as well, but it was absolutley amazing once i got into it. The writing style might bother some people, since it's quite dense, but I personally loved it.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Nevernight hasent interested me much but I might try it. I read all of Leigh Bardugo`s books, I agree with the hype the Nicolai spinoff is bound to be great. kind of fun because even though its fantasy you can clearly see the influnce of russia, and actually Sweden.

message 21: by ;; (new)

;; (sheisreadingg) I'd like to read Nevernight and The Grisha Trilogy! They have been on my TBR since a lot of time (probably I'll read The Grisha Trilogy soon).

message 22: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (nicolesuet) | 140 comments Well, I have read the Grisha Trilogy, but not the Six Crows Duology, so I'm down for Leigh Bardugo. I also have never read Nevernight.
Maybe one of us should do a poll with our suggestions

message 23: by Rose (new)

Rose | 65 comments Mod
I've only read book one of the Grisha Trilogy I'd love to reread it before I continue the series. Never read Nevernight or sadly (whispers) Six of Crows. I'd love to read them.

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

Nicole wrote: "Well, I have read the Grisha Trilogy, but not the Six Crows Duology, so I'm down for Leigh Bardugo. I also have never read Nevernight.
Maybe one of us should do a poll with our suggestions"

Well the idea is to start with V.E Schwabe and that poll is open alredy.

Carrie (brightbeautifulthings) (brightbeautifulthings) I'm totally down to read Nevernight at some point! I've heard lots of good things.

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

The poll is up and the last chance to vote is 27th so no stress.

message 27: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (nicolesuet) | 140 comments Guys, how is it gonna work? I think we should write it down some rules, like how many books we're gonna be reading, dates and all that boring stuff!
Can I just say how excited I am for this? AAAAAH

message 28: by [deleted user] (last edited Oct 15, 2017 10:21AM) (new)

Nicole wrote: "Guys, how is it gonna work? I think we should write it down some rules, like how many books we're gonna be reading, dates and all that boring stuff!
Can I just say how excited I am for this? AAAAAH"

Hehe..Excitement is good. yes we should figure details out, but we just started the group yesterday. I think we should give it sometime before we decide everything. I do as I said, have a poll up for the first book. The deadline for that is 27th october so we start reading the book after that.
I mean around 50 people liked Joana`s post, I think we should give everyone that want to a chance to join the fun. No need to start the read days after we came up with the idea.

message 29: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (nicolesuet) | 140 comments Oda wrote: "Nicole wrote: "Guys, how is it gonna work? I think we should write it down some rules, like how many books we're gonna be reading, dates and all that boring stuff!
Can I just say how excited I am ..."

You're right. Let's give it some time.

⋆✩ Mary ✩⋆ (marya28) | 104 comments Omg I’m really looking forward to this! I’ve only done a buddy read with my best friend and it was really fun (ranting, fangirling and suffering together)!! 😂

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

Nicole wrote: "Oda wrote: "Nicole wrote: "Guys, how is it gonna work? I think we should write it down some rules, like how many books we're gonna be reading, dates and all that boring stuff!
Can I just say how e..."

I mean if we stress with it all the fun gets sucked out of it.

message 32: by Rose (new)

Rose | 65 comments Mod
Mary wrote: "Omg I’m really looking forward to this! I’ve only done a buddy read with my best friend and it was really fun (ranting, fangirling and suffering together)!! 😂"

I know right?

How about some challenges nothing toooo big? Oh and a chat thread we're off topic here!

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

Lexie wrote: "Mary wrote: "Omg I’m really looking forward to this! I’ve only done a buddy read with my best friend and it was really fun (ranting, fangirling and suffering together)!! 😂"

I know right?

How abou..."

Yes, why not :)

message 34: by ;; (new)

;; (sheisreadingg) Lexie wrote: "Mary wrote: "Omg I’m really looking forward to this! I’ve only done a buddy read with my best friend and it was really fun (ranting, fangirling and suffering together)!! 😂"

I know right?

How abou..."

I second your ideas!

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

So, next read (dont wqorry if you havent read this savage song yet) is something we moderators are thinking about. ( me and Lexie.)
From above seems like people are up for pratchett and bardugo. Maybe everyone can either suggest one more author or second one of those two.
Dont worry if yours doesent get picked there is always januar, and february+++

message 36: by ;; (new)

;; (sheisreadingg) I suggest Sabaa Tahir and second Leigh Bardugo

Carrie (brightbeautifulthings) (brightbeautifulthings) Seconding Pratchett and Tahir!

message 38: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (nicolesuet) | 140 comments Cri (Addictedtobookss) wrote: "I suggest Sabaa Tahir and second Leigh Bardugo"

love both of them <3

message 39: by Nicole (last edited Nov 25, 2017 04:18PM) (new)

Nicole (nicolesuet) | 140 comments oh i still haven't read a torch in the night and I just bought the six of crows duology, if guys choose Sabba or Leigh I would have no problem reading again the grisha trilogy or an amber in the ashes

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

next months group read are coming up, are there any authors you think we should do? Or do you realy want one of those alrdy mentioned? Leigh bardugo? Saaba Thahir?

message 41: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (nicolesuet) | 140 comments Oda wrote: "next months group read are coming up, are there any authors you think we should do? Or do you realy want one of those alrdy mentioned? Leigh bardugo? Saaba Thahir?"

I vote Leigh Bardugo, although I have already read SoC and the Grisha Trilogy

⋆✩ Mary ✩⋆ (marya28) | 104 comments I haven’t read the grisha trilogy 🙈 so Leigh Bardugo for me too hahah

message 43: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (nicolesuet) | 140 comments Mary ✨ wrote: "I haven’t read the Grisha trilogy 🙈 so Leigh Bardugo for me too hahah"

You must read the Grisha trilogy! It's incredible!

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

The poll for January is up.
It is Leigh Bardugo that is the author focus.
The poll is open till the 18th.
Since it was a slow start, we will do a 19th to 19th read.
Aka we will begin the 19th january and read it till the 19th of february.

message 45: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Zigler (toriz) | 141 comments Oda wrote: "The poll for January is up.
Aka we will begin the 19th janua..."

Where's the poll?

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

Victoria wrote: "Oda wrote: "The poll for January is up.
Aka we will begin th..."

There is a poll section in the group. Go to the group, and the in the sidebar you see, discussion,members,poll++

message 47: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Zigler (toriz) | 141 comments Oda wrote: "Victoria wrote: "Oda wrote: "The poll for January is up.
Aka..."

Could be I'm missing it, but when I do that the newest one I'm seeing was created in November.

message 48: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 14, 2018 08:30AM) (new)

Victoria wrote: "Oda wrote: "Victoria wrote: "Oda wrote: "The poll for January is up.
Since it was a slow start, we will do a 19th to 19..."

Its by the polls just scroll down. I edited it so its at the top now. Easy yo find.

message 49: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Zigler (toriz) | 141 comments Oda wrote: "Victoria wrote: "Oda wrote: "Victoria wrote: "Oda wrote: "The poll for January is up.
Since it was a slow start, we wil..."

Found it now... Thanks! :)

message 50: by [deleted user] (new)

Victoria wrote: "Oda wrote: "Victoria wrote: "Oda wrote: "Victoria wrote: "Oda wrote: "The poll for January is up.
Since it was a slow s..."

yay!

« previous 1