Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Cover Help > New cover image

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Prescott (new)

Prescott Lane | 6 comments I've updated the cover on one of my books. How can I get the cover updated on GR? Thanks so much.

message 2: by Sai (new)

Sai (saikan) | 305 comments Prescott wrote: " How can I get the cover updated on GR?"

Please add the new cover edition as separate edition and combine them.
https://www.goodreads.com/help/show/8...

message 3: by Prescott (new)

Prescott Lane | 6 comments I'm sorry. This isn't helping me. This is talking about different ISBN's. Everything is the same. Just need to update the cover.

message 4: by Prescott (new)

Prescott Lane | 6 comments Do I go to the books homepage and click add a new edition? Upload the new cover there, leaving everything else the same? Then go back to book page and hit combine?

message 5: by R. (new)

R. (rosecastro) | 1 comments Me too! I'm unable to combine the cover images for the same title. Essentially, the same book. I updated my cover image and now the old and new cover show up on Goodreads. Like Prescott, the link provided does not help. My title is A Shining Star by R. Castro. The old cover is the blue one with the snowflakes, the new is the brighter with the couple on the front and red font.

message 6: by Sai (last edited Oct 14, 2017 05:41PM) (new)

Sai (saikan) | 305 comments Prescott wrote: "Do I go to the books homepage and click add a new edition? Upload the new cover there, leaving everything else the same? Then go back to book page and hit combine?"
Yes, If you have a new cover edition, add the book normally with all the details and new cover, and combine editions of the book.
However, as the author, you have the ability to change which edition of the book is the default, which will come up in searches by title and show on your author profile. Here are the instructions

message 7: by Sai (last edited Oct 14, 2017 05:33PM) (new)

Sai (saikan) | 305 comments R. wrote: "I'm unable to combine the cover images for the same title. Essentially, the same book. I updated my cover image and now the old and new cover show up on Goodreads."
It seems you have combined the books, but both covers will still be present in the database; combining doesn't replace or delete older covers. However, as the author, you have the ability to change which edition of the book is the default, which will come up in searches by title and show on your author profile. Here are the instructions

and BTW add the details of publisher and ISBN/ASIN to new cover edition.

message 8: by Empress (new)

Empress (the_empress) Working on #1

message 9: by Empress (last edited Oct 15, 2017 10:55AM) (new)

Empress (the_empress) Ellie [The Empress] wrote: "Working on #1"

Checked every single kindle edition and compared with Amazon.
Checked most paperbacks and compared with Amazon.

As I have not found any updated covers I was not able to assist with your request.

Can you advise the title of the book being updated and provide a link to your website or publisher where the new cover is displayed so that we can help?

Thank you

P.S.: Reverted some changes and added an ACE edition for one book. Two empty editions are queued for merging with Super-librarians.

message 10: by Empress (last edited Oct 15, 2017 11:13AM) (new)

Empress (the_empress) Sai wrote: "and BTW add the details of publisher and ISBN/ASIN to new cover edition."

Often new editions don't have unique ASIN/ISBN. As a librarian you can mark that edition as an ACE edition and input the correct publishing information. Author's often are not aware how to do that. That is why they are asking. It seems Tim has done that.

Edit: Moved Welding Metallurgy Of Stainless And Heat Resisting Steels to a new profile and moved Elemental Linx to R. Castro's profile.
Moved Quid Iuris las razones del jurista en el Derecho Romano to correct profile.
Now your profile should display only your books.

message 11: by Prescott (last edited Oct 15, 2017 12:27PM) (new)

Prescott Lane | 6 comments I need the cover to Quiet Angel changed. I had someone assist me with this yesterday, but it's reverted back. I was confused by the link about editions and ISBN's, that's why I reached out to a librarian. I'm waiting for the Amazon updates to take hold. It is updated on create space.

message 12: by Empress (last edited Oct 15, 2017 12:54PM) (new)

Empress (the_empress) Prescott wrote: "I need the cover to Quiet Angel changed. I had someone assist me with this yesterday, but it's reverted back. I was confused by the link about editions and ISBN's, that's why I reached out to a lib..."

Sorry about the confusion. As GR is a cataloguing website we preserve all editions with the original covers they were uploaded. Once new editions with new covers are added published we simply create new editions (called Alternate cover editions) in the database. Such as this one.

You can imagine someone who has read and owns this edition or harry potter and has shelved that edition, doesn't want the cover in their catalogue suddenly changing to this cover for example? Since that would not be the book they actually own and have read (books with identical ISBN numbers could vary in content, some have additional/bonus stories)

For that reason changing covers on editions is strictly forbidden, which is why I have reverted that changes to your paperback edition.

If the cover change is reflect on your personal website or a publisher we can change it now. Otherwise I would advise you to wait until the cover is up on Amazon. The reason is we need to see the image used on the Paperback edition on a page that has the same ISBN numbers. Using covers from other editions is also not allowed as often there are slight differences such as font size, color shade, a small blurb and etc.

If I use the wrong cover now, later on I cannot replace (due to the above rule) and will need to add yet another edition.

So please let us know when the cover is up on Amazon and someone will add the Alternate cover edition. You can either post in this topic or start a new one.

Oh, also once the new edition is up, you can set it up as default so that will be the edition people will see when searching by title. See how to do that here.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

message 13: by Prescott (new)

Prescott Lane | 6 comments The e-book cover has updated on Amazon. The cover with the woman in a white dress is the new cover. Is there a way that cover can be set as the main one? So that when people search for the book, that's the cover that comes up? Thanks so much.

message 14: by Prescott (new)

Prescott Lane | 6 comments Perfect. Thank you so much!