The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1) The Lightning Thief discussion

Book Review 1

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Maddie (new)

Maddie Haugen Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan
Maddie Haugen

Kicked out of numerous schools, struggles with friends, yet possesses powers he does not know of. Percy Jackson is the son of Poseidon and Sally Jackson, a mortal. His friend Grover, a satyr, is sent to protect Percy and help him find Zeus's missing lightning bolt, for if it was not found, there would be another world war. Assisting them on their quest is Annabeth Chase, daughter of Athena. Percy, because of his great power, was taken to Camp Halfblood, but on the way, his mother was taken to the Underworld. With monsters in front, behind, and all around, the trio left the safe zone of Camp Halfblood and battled their way to solve the mystery of Zeus's missing master bolt. The three teens traveled from the Underworld to Olympus with a few stops in the way such as Medusa's garden gnome store, an abandoned water park, and in a hotel filled with endless fun and no way out. Eventually, they saved his mother and returned the master bolt to Zeus and prevented the world from another war.
Throughout the novel, the author used first person narration. Percy's point of view helped the story make sense. If it was not in Percy's point of view, it would be hard to understand why he was chosen to find the bolt, why he was at Camp Halfblood, and how the world war was prevented. Percy did not share too much about himself with his friends. Having Grover or Annabeth narrate may confuse the reader on who Percy is and why he is important to the story. Percy's not hardly sharing information with others would not help the story. Because he is narrating, we can know what he is thinking. Irrational decisions were not out of the ordinary for Percy to do. For example, Percy made a deal with the god of war without counseling his colleagues as well as going up the elevator by himself with a suspicious character. Without knowledge of what was going through his head or what was going on, the story would be boring and have holes. The reader would feel left out.
Another thing the author did was have interesting antagonists. The protagonist is Percy Jackson however, the antagonist changes. In the beginning, the antagonist is Zeus. Accused by Zeus of stealing his master bolt, Percy and him have a grudge for each other up until the end of the novel. Other examples include Hades, who kidnapped Percy's mother, and Luke Castellan, who framed Percy when he actually took the bolt himself. Kronos is yet another example of a primary antagonist. There are also minor antagonists such as Furies and other monsters trying to kill Percy as well as stop him from getting the master bolt back to Zeus.
All in all, Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief was an easy read, yet interesting. It was boring and cliche in some parts of the novel, but, for the most part, it was original. The engaging antagonists and shifting of them I thought added twists and clues to where the master bolt was. It was interesting to see Percy's life unfold before him and me. We both did not know who he really was or where he came from. At the conclusion of the novel, there were still mysteries to be solved, information to be found, and more about Percy that had not been revealed. The novel could have had more than just knowledge given of Percy such as telling of Camp Halfblood, the gods, and Percy's friends. Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief was interesting and enjoyable, and it was an okay book.

amirah I loved it! Definetely one of my favourite books of all time; Rick Riordan is a GENIUS!! Percabeth is my new OTP<3