Admirers of Juliet Marillier Books discussion

Book Discussions > Anyone Want to do a Re-read with Me?

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Megan (new)

Megan | 12 comments Hey there!

I've been thinking of doing a re-read of Juliet's books and I was wondering if anyone in here wanted to do it with me. I realize that this group is essentially dead, but I wanted to offer just in case.

I look forward to hearing from you :)

message 2: by Emma (new)

Emma | 81 comments I would love to do a read along 😊

message 3: by Megan (new)

Megan | 12 comments Should we start with Sevenwaters or Bridei first, do you think?

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) (ter05) | 26 comments I would do it. I am currently re-reading Flame of Sevenwaters and realized it has been awhile. I've read both Bridei and all the Sevenwaters books more than once.

message 5: by Megan (new)

Megan | 12 comments Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) wrote: "I would do it. I am currently re-reading Flame of Sevenwaters and realized it has been awhile. I've read both Bridei and all the Sevenwaters books more than once."

Me too, re: re-reading the series. I think I've re-read Bridei more than I have Sevenwaters, though, because, of the two of them, it's my favorite.

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) (ter05) | 26 comments Bridei is my favorite too. I so wish she would do another but I know her publisher changed and she said they do not want to continue on with a series of another publisher. The only thing that bothers me about re-reading them is that it ends and there has to be so much more.

message 7: by Megan (new)

Megan | 12 comments Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) wrote: "Bridei is my favorite too. I so wish she would do another but I know her publisher changed and she said they do not want to continue on with a series of another publisher. The only thing that bothe..."

I didn't realize that her publisher had changed. I guess I never paid attention to it. I wish she'd do another series similar to Bridei, but with a different figure from history/set of characters.

I think the biggest thing I liked about Bridei was that it wasn't from a girl's POV; I liked that it switched between Bridei's POV as well as Tuala's. I love Bridei, not gonna lie, lol.

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) (ter05) | 26 comments I agree and I loved Faolan so much in the first book that when I got the second one I turned it over to see if it said anything about Faolan. Of course it did.

message 9: by Megan (new)

Megan | 12 comments Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) wrote: "I agree and I loved Faolan so much in the first book that when I got the second one I turned it over to see if it said anything about Faolan. Of course it did."

Faolan is why I love the third book, to be honest. I'm actually not a fan of the second one at all..

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) (ter05) | 26 comments It's my least favorite one too. But there is enough of Bridei and Tuala and Faolan in it to make it still a good read.

message 11: by Megan (new)

Megan | 12 comments So, you think we should start with Bridei first, and then, maybe at the start of the new year, move on to Sevenwaters?

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) (ter05) | 26 comments That's okay with me. I am about half way through Flame of Sevenwaters and need to finish it. Should only take me a few days/nights. I'ts been so long since I read it I can't remember what happens or I would just stop but now I want to know. I have The Dark Mirror on audio though and that is the best narrator ever. So any time. I never did a group read. LOL How do we do that?

message 13: by Megan (last edited Oct 15, 2017 07:32PM) (new)

Megan | 12 comments I have no idea, lol. I’m assuming we all take a determined about of time to read the book and then discuss it when we’re done??

I have all of Bridei on audiobook, and I agree, the narrator is great.

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) (ter05) | 26 comments I have two friends we used to group reads together. We did it via e-mail and commented as we went along. We would put the page we were on in the subject line and then if the others were not to that page yet they did not read the e-mail until they reached that pagel. When someone got to that page we would discuss it. We did a lot of books that way. It would be easier to just do it at the end of course.

message 15: by Megan (new)

Megan | 12 comments We could maybe try breaking the discussion up into chapters. Each thread could be X-chapter - Y-chapter and do it that way. That way we can chat about our thoughts as we read?

Alternatively, we could just mail one another since it appears to be us three only who want to do this. I’m open to ideas 😊

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) (ter05) | 26 comments I am okay either way. We probably all read at different speeds, all subject to what is happening in real life.

message 17: by Emma (new)

Emma | 81 comments I actually haven't read them in ages so they're the perfect choice! 😊
Yeah I think chapter by chapter would be best. Can't wait to get started.

message 18: by Megan (new)

Megan | 12 comments When do we want to get started?

I was thinking November since October is already halfway gone, but if you two wish to start earlier I'm good with that. I read multiple books at a time, so that wouldn't be a problem for me.

Once we settle on when to start, I'll add the threads for Dark Mirror.

message 19: by Shauna (new)

Shauna Bradney I have to pass on this one right now but when you start Sevenwaters I will definitely try to participate 😊

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) (ter05) | 26 comments November is good with me.

message 21: by Emma (new)

Emma | 81 comments Yep November sounds great :)

message 22: by Paige (new)

Paige | 267 comments Mod
I'm so excited you guys are doing this! The group lives on!! :) I wish I could join but I'm too bogged down right now. And I haven't reread the Bridei ones yet (Sevenwaters like a million times haha). Did you guys see that Juliet is working on something new? Not coming out until 2019 though *cries*

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) (ter05) | 26 comments Bridei is my favorite. I LOVE the Sevenwaters of course but Bridei even more. I hate to say it but I am not as crazy about her newer books. Can't put my finger on why but just something not there that was in the earlier ones. I love her earlier stand alone ones too.

message 24: by Paige (new)

Paige | 267 comments Mod
The new one sounds more like her older work. It's about warrior bards! From her site:
Harp of Kings begins with a sister and brother arriving on Swan Island to compete for permanent places among the island’s team of elite warriors and covert operatives. Over a lengthy training period, Liobhan and Brocc will not only be assessed against each other, they will need to prove themselves against the sons of chieftains and war-leaders. The competition is fierce; only two or three out of the twenty trainees will be chosen. Liobhan knows she has what it takes, and as the only woman among the twenty, she’s determined to prove she can be the best. Even if her fellow trainee Dau, a young nobleman, thinks she should stick to singing and playing the whistle – she’s good at both – and forget about fighting. But when the opportunity comes for Liobhan to demonstrate what she is made of, it’s in an unexpected and challenging form. The tests and trials that lie ahead take Liobhan and Brocc far from the island, and pit them against forces both human and uncanny.

Sounds really good to me! What do you guys think?

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) (ter05) | 26 comments I will definitely read it. I've read everything she has written.